1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Baptist Pastor Dismayed by Worldliness of New Calvinist Conferences

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Jerome, Jul 3, 2009.

1. jcjordan

jcjordan New Member

oh come on now.....I simply don't think think there is anything unscriptural going on.....you do, but you just want to throw labels out on something you have very little if any experience with, accusing people of ungodly motives. You're the one who wants to say it. I think it is very easy to figure out a song writers motives by simply looking at his/her lyrics. Have you ever read Bob Kauflin's blog, www.worshipmatters.com? If you really want to sense the heart of one of the main influences in the new calvinist music movement, I suggest you check it out and see where his heart is on the issue.
    O.K....i know the Passion conferences were mentioned somewhere else in this thread, and quite honestly, I'm not totally thrilled with SOME of the music that was done, but I don't think you could necessarily label it as part of the new calvinist movement, although there were a few elements of it there.

If there was someone on here saying how terrible old traditional hymns were because they were boring, than I would be all over their case too. That crowd drives me just as crazy. When we argue about music style, it just tells the world that we believe music has more power to divide than the gospel does to unite.

2. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Usually when I asked older people about what their parents said about them it is much the same thing.

Is there really anything new under the sun?

Ps. 150:3-5, "Praise Him with trumpet sound; Praise Him with harp and lyre. Praise Him with timbrel and dancing; Praise Him with stringed instruments and pipe. Praise Him with loud cymbals; Praise Him with resounding cymbals.

3. Lux et veritas

Lux et veritas New Member

Anyone that quotes Psalm 150 as a 'proof text' for the use of any and every instrument in church worship simply does not understand context of scripture, and when they do so, they make God contradict Himself when He gave express statements to David LIMITING the instruments to accompany singing in the temple.

#63 Lux et veritas, Aug 23, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2009
  4. Lux et veritas

We are not to worship God devoid of emotion. Who said anything like that? But our emotions are not to be manipulated by the music, but by the words (thoughts of God and His works).

Repetitive choruses, Christian 'love songs' (that say very little or worse yet, say the wrong thing), have a hypnotic emotional effect on people, and as such have no place in the worship of God where we are to have our whole minds engaged in the act.

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Did you know that God shows us in Scripture that repetitive choruses are good? Revelation 4:8 tells us "And the four living creatures, each of them with six wings, are full of eyes all around and within, and day and night they never cease to say, "Holy, holy, holy, is the Lord God Almighty, who was and is and is to come!"

I'm not for the "love song" style of worship songs either. I'm also not into the "me" focused songs that are sung in worship but there are MANY modern songs that just hit the mark right on. Many are straight from Scripture and while the music is good, the words and heart behind them are excellent and true. I thought on this while I was on vacation and we heard lots of worldly music in some of the ports we were on (we were on a sailing vacation and many boaters drink heavily and are into loud music on the docks), and I realized that so many Christians feel that our music should be of a lesser quality than the world so it's less "worldly". However, as the wife of a worship pastor and musician, I know the Christian musician worshipper's heart (atleast my husband and his team) and I see them wanting to give their very best to the Lord. Their skill in all that it is is given to Him. They aren't showy - but want to be there to lead and enhance the worship - make it easy for those in the congregation to close their eyes, focus on God and give Him the glory He's due. When I enter into worship, I do not listen to the skill of the musicians but their skill allows me to focus on God and not the off key, missed beat, scratchy voice of a poorly skilled worship team.

6. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why is that?

7. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

136:1-26, Give thanks to the Lord, for He is good, For His lovingkindness is everlasting. Give thanks to the God of gods, For His lovingkindness is everlasting. Give thanks to the Lord of lords, For His lovingkindness is everlasting. To Him who alone does great wonders, For His lovingkindness is everlasting; To Him who made the heavens with skill, For His lovingkindness is everlasting; To Him who spread out the earth above the waters, For His lovingkindness is everlasting; To Him who made [the] great lights, For His lovingkindness is everlasting: The sun to rule by day, For His lovingkindness is everlasting, The moon and stars to rule by night, For His lovingkindness is everlasting. To Him who smote the Egyptians in their firstborn, For His lovingkindness is everlasting, And brought Israel out from their midst, For His lovingkindness is everlasting, With a strong hand and an outstretched arm, For His lovingkindness is everlasting. To Him who divided the Red Sea asunder, For His lovingkindness is everlasting, And made Israel pass through the midst of it, For His lovingkindness is everlasting; But He overthrew Pharaoh and his army in the Red Sea, For His lovingkindness is everlasting. To Him who led His people through the wilderness, For His lovingkindness is everlasting; To Him who smote great kings, For His lovingkindness is everlasting, And slew mighty kings, For His lovingkindness is everlasting: Sihon, king of the Amorites, For His lovingkindness is everlasting, And Og, king of Bashan, For His lovingkindness is everlasting, And gave their land as a heritage, For His lovingkindness is everlasting, Even a heritage to Israel His servant, For His lovingkindness is everlasting. Who remembered us in our low estate, For His lovingkindness is everlasting, And has rescued us from our adversaries, For His lovingkindness is everlasting; Who gives food to all flesh, For His lovingkindness is everlasting. Give thanks to the God of heaven, For His lovingkindness is everlasting."

What words are repeated 26 times in one Psalm?

8. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It doesn't repeat at all in the manner in which repition is practiced in modern worship. Add to that fact that ancient Hebrew music was arhythmic like its poetry, and you have nothing to support your view.

9. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, it teaches us that six-winged, grotesquely multi-eyed creatures may speak a line without ceasing. In Heaven, anyway. On earth, not only would these creatures appear monstrous, but their manner would be monstrous and oppressive.

But . . .

That's if one reads that passage without a shred of understanding. It has nothing to do with Christian worship or music.

10. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

It very clearly shows worship that God approves of. And it's repeatative.

11. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Opened the link in the op. Saw it was by Peter Masters.

Quickly closed it, fearing to be spotted by it.

Shaking my head over the sad, bitter, envious people who write articles like that.

Moving on to that which edifies. Maybe the Bible Version thread . . . :BangHead:

12. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

lol Dr Bob

You can post on my ad hominem thread :)

13. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    When you've been around "that type" long enough (and I've been pastoring almost 40 years) you don't even have to read - you KNOW what they are going to say.

Those on the BB who know ME probably knew what I would say, too. :type:

14. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And the pot calls the kettle black.

15. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since the question was ignored, I'll cut to the chase . . .
    Aaron: Why aren't you totally thrilled with some of the music?

jcjordan: Because, it I felt it was inappropriate for Christian gatherings.

Conclusion: Everyone—EVERYONE—draws the line somewhere, and they base that line on how they read the Scriptures.

16. jcjordan

jcjordan New Member

I was away for a couple of days. My answer to your question was that I do feel that SOME of the music from that group of musicians was a little weak lyrically. It had nothing to do with style. But, as I pointed out before, I don't consider it (Passion) a "new calvinist" conference if Lou Gigglio and Beth Moore are speakers. I think it was labeled such just because John Piper happened to be one of the speakers.

17. Lux et veritas

Well, at least I can ignore your comments as being spiritually discerning with a comment like that on one of the most biblical pastors in our generation.

18. PeterM

PeterM Member

Peter Masters... one of the most Biblical pastors in our generation... :laugh:

Gifted pastor, sure... competent from the pulpit, absolutely... "Most Biblical"... what in the world does that mean?

As to the charge of Dr. Bob lacking "discernment"... There is little to no spiritual discernment needed in this thread. Not when we are once again wading through the quicksand of baseless subjective opinion that typifies a debate over music styles/preferences.

#78 PeterM, Aug 26, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2009
  19. Lux et veritas

It means his message and methodology in the ministry are in keeping with biblical standards. But yes, I agree he's also "gifted" and "competent from the pulpit". I just didn't want to be guilty of flattery.