1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Baptist Preferences

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by evangelist6589, Dec 11, 2015.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He has no idea what is odd for churches to teach. He doesn't even know what goes on in the average church. He just does not like those doctrines so he tries to make look kike he knows when and where they are being taught.

2. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    RE The preference of wine drinking :

It is very unlikely that grape juice could remain unfermented in Jesus day.
    After the harvest the grapes were turned to raisins or processed into juice that fermented into alcoholic wine or acetic acid vinegar. There were no refrigerators so this process was unstoppable.

There was a substance of which the Greek word hupostasis was used - cooking down the grape juice into a syrupy sticky mass which was so intense it wouldn't ferment (usually). This could be eaten or mixed with water and drank. Water was always a risky situation unless it came from a well and even then it had some risk especially from a river and/or a lake.

We should remember that there were no water purification plants in Jesus day. The alcohol in wine from natural controlled fermentation was less than modern day wine but enough to overcome pathogens in the liquid. So it was an alternative to bad water.

We don't have this problem today.

HankD

• Like Like x 1
  3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    FTR - that was penned by DR. L. Duane Brown, at the time a pastor in NY State, later to become State Rep of the Empire State Fellowship of Regular Baptist Churches, and later as President of Denever Baptist Bible College

Dr. Brown also wrote a book on the subject

#43 Salty, Dec 17, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
  4. OnlyaSinner

OnlyaSinner Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is very well said. When one is looking for the local church where God would have one serve, one should become familiar with a church's statement of faith first of all, then any other governing/procedural documents. If one sees any "hill to die on" disagreements, one should not join that church - to do so will almost inevitably lead to dissension among the members. If one finds things with which one disagrees but can live with, it's up to one's conscience whether to join, but if one does so, one should not make an issue of said things.

It's extremely unlikely that one will find any church where one can agree 100% with everything. If I had written those documents and looked at them some time later, I'm sure I'd disagree with myself! Therefore, joining a church (which I see as biblically correct though I cannot cite a rock-solid proof text) will mean giving up a portion of one's personal liberty. There's scriptural precedent for that - it's what Paul meant when he talked about becoming all things to all people. It was relinquishing some liberty so as not to offend, thus costing him a chance to witness for Christ.

• Like Like x 1
  5. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree. I suggest that making one's liberty to enjoy an alcoholic beverage such a priority, or an unwillingness to never again have a drink, is a strong signal of a problem with the substance. Christian liberty is something we lay down - not something we take up.

#45 JonC, Dec 17, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey Mitchell is your congregation aware of your posting history here? What would happen if they saw it?

#46 evangelist6589, Dec 17, 2015
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Evan, stop. Just stop. Grow up and reason with people instead of taking such an immature approach.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    probably wonder why he goes so easy on you

9. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    [snipped by admin]

#49 evangelist6589, Dec 17, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2015
  10. blessedwife318

blessedwife318 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

• Like Like x 1
  11. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not see nor read posts from this person.

12. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What person?