1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Baptist Prophets

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Rolfe, Jan 21, 2017.

1. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is something new to me. I do not recall ever hearing about Baptists ordaining prophets. Anyone else heard of this? Any thoughts?

2. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I saw one of our resident prophets call out his alleged authority in that other forum and that has me thinking too.

Many of us have been called out by God to speak for Him beyond the normal range of a believer. Many are in "professional" ministry and many of us are in bivocational ministry. We are gifted and commissioned as prophets and that often takes the form of a pulpit ministry, teaching ministry, and regular evangelistic encounters. The validity/credibility of the prophet is known by discerning ears. Not everything a "prophet" says is valid, except when the Spirit gives empowerment.

The Old Testament prophets - when sensing the power of the Spirit (like a fire in the bones) in their words - would give a, "Thus sayeth the Lord..." notice to distinguish their opinions from a word of knowledge from God. In the New Testament, the hearers of the prophets of God sensed the power of the Spirit cutting deep into their hearts.

In a similar way, those who stand in the pulpit regularly often get feedback from the hearers about the amazing way that they were speaking directly to that person in the pew, even though the preacher was not. The Spirit somehow works within our words to speak a specific and personal message to all those who are willing to hear.

In the New Testament, when prophets spoke, the congregation judged what was said as to whether or not it was valid (1 Corinthians 14:29), and then it could be accepted or rejected. I don't get the impression that any valid New Testament prophets assert their authority as a "prophet" to have the final words on an issue, although the rise of the Popes eventually made that claim.

For someone on a online Baptist discussion forum to assert themselves as an authority because they are a "prophet" would be laughable if it was not so tragic. It's tragic because there is a greater judgment coming for those who claim to speak for God when they are only trying to enforce their own opinions or "win" an argument.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As far as ordination of prophets, there were a lot of things that came out of the charismatic side of the Jesus People movement of the 1960s-70s. Certainly God worked in the midst of all of that, but so did the evil one. A number of bad ideas carried over into the present.

4. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you don't think there are Baptist prophets, the rebuttal will be that until you have experienced it, you know nothing about it. Basically, the same argument for any of the gifts.

Sent from my Moto Droid Turbo.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How does what you describe differ from a teacher, pastor, or evangelist? Is it a matter of nomenclature?

Validity does not come from the teaching of Scripture?

6. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  7. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is a gift of prophecy which may be expressed in the roles of a teacher, a pastor, an evangelist, or apostle (missionary). Persons are also called to be prophets, distinct from teachers, pastors and apostles.

Somewhat. We have recognized institutional places for pastors, evangelists (although this is going away), and missionaries. Prophets often stand a bit outside the popular part of the institutional religious systems, since they aren't good with playing politics.

Obviously it does. Prophecy involves specific application of the written scripture to certain situations, and well as specific persons words of knowledge or wisdom from God for specific persons or groups. The hearers are the judges of whether or not the words of the prophet is valid (1 Corinthians 14:29).

Most Baptists tend not to recognized prophets in their midst as such, and that is probably a good thing. Some persons get so wrapped up in the idea that God occasionally speaks through them that they tend to think that they have some sort of special authority over others, as we have seen in this fellowship.

8. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    First, I am not saying that I agree completely with Jack Van Impe.

I am using him as an illustration of one whose ministry is typified by preaching/teaching prophecy.

However Mr. Van Impe does not claim divine inspiration from God as a kind of 21st century OT prophet but uses the scripture exclusively for his prophetic preaching/teaching.

He may indeed have a gift of wisdom and understanding of scripture but he does not claim the title of prophet for himself though others might give him that label.

Personally? - there is no operative divine inspiration beyond the 66 books of the Bible.

HankD

• Like Like x 2
  9. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Understood (and praise God)!

I don't have a high opinion of Mr. Impe's interpretations or teaching, but - just as you say - the man has the humility not to claim for himself authority beyond the scriptures he interprets. He is quite commendable in that regard.

I would agree with that. However, I would add that God is still speaking to His people today.

10. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, of course.

HankD

• Like Like x 1
  11. Darrell C

Darrell C Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My Dad was once a member of a "Baptist" church that was in fact a charismatic church using the Baptist title. They tried to "teach" him how to speak in tongues. I have also visited other "Baptist" churches that would fall outside of even the wide scope of what passes for being Baptist.

Of course, we would have to know the context of "prophet." if it someone who conveys the truth of God's Word and not meant to replicate the actual Prophets of the Bible, I could understand them doing so...for show, lol. Kind of like using the title "Bishop." Just seems a little strange, but nothing actually wrong with it. Peter states in 2 Peter 2:1 that there would be false teachers among us as there were false prophets among those in the "old time" (2 Peter 1:21), which seems to indicate that in his day he designated teachers, not prophets.

God bless.

12. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not really understanding your point since the prophets of the scriptures were people who conveyed the words of God. I don't see a disconnect.

13. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Possibly Grk. prophetes seems to have a utilitarian use especially of secular usage - one who proclaims.
    So IMO, it could be said of one who proclaims the established inspired word of God.

HankD

14. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is no disconnect, that was my point. When people think of a Prophet most immediately give it a context of foretelling future events, but, prophecy is not limited to the foretelling of events, it also applies to simply conveying the Will of God to man.

The point is simply that I would have to know how one used the term prophet to better assess those who "ordain prophets." If it is just a term used and not meant to imply these people are giving new revelation, or foretelling events, I don't have a problem with that for the most part (though I think it is misleading). The example of "Bishop," for example, shows how differing groups use that term differently. It is interchangeable with other terms used to designate a position of leadership, but, the status of what a Bishop is might differ greatly among groups. Bishop might be a particular rank in one group, whereas in others there may be no distinction drawn between a bishop and priest.

God bless.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Precisely. And I think we could find examples of "the speaking forth of the Word of God" which is not necessarily from the established Inspired Word of God. For example:

Acts 21:10-11

King James Version (KJV)

10 And as we tarried there many days, there came down from Judaea a certain prophet, named Agabus.

11 And when he was come unto us, he took Paul's girdle, and bound his own hands and feet, and said, Thus saith the Holy Ghost, So shall the Jews at Jerusalem bind the man that owneth this girdle, and shall deliver him into the hands of the Gentiles.

God bless.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Others are mentioned in the immediately preceding verse:

Acts 21:8-9 (KJB)

8 And the next day we that were of Paul's company departed, and came unto Caesarea: and we entered into the house of Philip the evangelist, which was one of the seven; and abode with him. 9 And the same man had four daughters, virgins, which did prophesy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The office of the OT rophet/NT Apostles/Prophets ceased after Apostolic age, as God was using NT Apostles/Prophets to confirm doctrines and practices of early Church in acts as Canon not written yet. God can still give a teacher/pastor insightsinto the prophetic word and how they might apply to current situations, but NONE can say today "Thus sayth the Lord", as God demas 100 % accracy for real prophe in all thy state coming from Him!

There ar no prophets today, not in he sense charasmatics try to force them to be!

18. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bible will not support prophets as in the OT/NT for today!

19. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Lord spaks wh 100% accuracy in His word to us, so why need this prophetic ministry?

20. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is a Baptist prphet same asa Charasmatic one? As that would mean scripture is no longer soe and sufficient authority to us today?