1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Baptist Salvation is Salvation by works

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Chemnitz, Jun 21, 2006.

1. Chemnitz

Chemnitz New Member

I have noticed that Baptists on this board are good at saying one thing and then contradicting themselves by saying the exact opposite. They all say "saved by grace through faith" but then they say the following:

I accepted Jesus
    I madeJesus lord of my life
    I decided to follow Jesus.
    I asked Jesus into my heart.

None of these statements is consistant with "by faith alone" for all of these statements indicate an action taken by a person. The everyday language betrays the heart of baptist and evangelical beliefs, they are no more faith alone than the Roman Catholics.

And now let the fire storm begin

2. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A nonsensical argument.:rolleyes:

3. BD17

BD17 New Member

Then when you ask them why they did those things they say because I want to be a better person, husband, etc. They hardly ever admit it is because they are sinners, and that they are sinful.

4. Blammo

Blammo New Member

Ephesians 2:8-9 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.

Who says it? :smilewinkgrin:

5. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

Chemnitz I would agree with every point but the first one. We all have to accept the substitutionary death and shed blood of Jesus Christ, the Lamb of God. That is what faith is. If you have faith that Jesus died and shed His blood in your stead then you are accepting that substitutionary death.

However you are right on in the other points. I don't think Baptists are the only ones that have gotten away from the simple salvation message of by grace through faith.

It would be nice if all of Christendom would keep the simple message simple instead of distorting it to make it fit their theologies.

6. Rooselk

Rooselk Member

Mr. Chemnitz, it's obvious that you've been reading your namesake. :thumbs:

7. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

To abide in Him, is that works?

8. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

Yes abiding in Christ is a work, because that is the context of the passage (fruit bearing). Fruit bearing is a work and in order to bear good fruit one must continually abide in Christ.

John's verbage is present tense meaning if I am abiding in Christ today and then tomorrow and then the next day and then the next day. It is also active which shows the subject as the one doing the action which means it is done by us therefore it is a work and has nothing to do with eternal salvation.

9. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Mr. Chemnitz, I know of no Baptist who would say he believes in salvation by works. But the language you used in the OP speaks not of what God did for us by his grace, but what we did. I, I, I, I. All those statements are semantically out of whack with what we profess to believe.

The Bible does not speak of our accepting Christ. It speaks of God accepting us because of Christ.

The Bible speaks of confessing Jesus as Lord, but not of making Him Lord. He's already Lord, and we are instructed to confess it as true.

One doesn't just decide to follow Jesus. John 1:12 says we were born not of blood, or the will of the flesh, or the will of man but of God. The Bible says we are to repent and trust, and that the ability to do those things are given to us by God.

Nowhere in the Bible are we told to ask Jesus into our heart. We are commanded to repent and trust the finished work of Christ.

Over the years, we have developed these little buzz-words. Such as "come to Jesus," meaning come down the aisle to the front, as if you could only be saved down at the "altar." Which, by the way--where is the altar in a New Testament church?

How about "step out on faith?" "Take that first step toward Jesus." Billy Graham popularized this one--"I want you to get up out of your seat."

Oh, and did I forget the "sinner's prayer?"

Well, Mr. Chemnitz, I'm sure you started this thread just to be provocative. You surely touched my nerve. Thanks

10. Bob Farnaby

Bob Farnaby Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wrong statements, All that I am is because of God's grace, thestatements should read:-

I am accepted by Jesus (closer, but accepted by God would be better)
    Jesus made Himself Lord of my life
    Jesus commanded me to follow Him
    Jesus changed my heart and indwells by the Holy Spirt.

Not a complete theology, but some selected highlights. This says this baptist.

Regards
    Bob

11. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Luke, chapter 9

"26": For whosoever shall be ashamed of me and of my words, of him shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he shall come in his own glory, and in his Father's, and of the holy angels.

Did God make him ashame or was he ashame?

12. Jeff Weaver

Jeff Weaver New Member

Mr. Chemitz, why should there be a firestorm, you are spot on.

13. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I thank God that there are more Scriptures than Eph 2 for it is so misused.

John, chapter 3

"16": For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life

Mark, chapter 16 l the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

Romans, chapter 10

"15": And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!

Luke, chapter 4

"18": The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised,

Romans, chapter 1
    16": For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.

Romans, chapter 10
    "3": For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God.

"4": For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth.

Isaiah, chapter 45

"22": Look unto me, and be ye saved, all the ends of the earth: for I am God, and there is none else.

Isaiah, chapter 50

"1": Thus saith the LORD, Where is the bill of your mother's divorcement, whom I have put away? or which of my creditors is it to whom I have sold you? Behold, for your iniquities have ye sold yourselves, and for your transgressions is your mother put away.
    Elect???

14. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

POST BY CHEMITZ:

I have noticed that Baptists on this board are good at saying one thing and then contradicting themselves by saying the exact opposite. They all say "saved by grace through faith" but then they say the following:

I accepted Jesus
    I madeJesus lord of my life
    I decided to follow Jesus.
    I asked Jesus into my heart.

None of these statements is consistant with "by faith alone" for all of these statements indicate an action taken by a person. The everyday language betrays the heart of baptist and evangelical beliefs, they are no more faith alone than the Roman Catholics

------------------

Hooray for the Baptists then! At least they realize that they have to do something besides to expect God is going to work some magical spell to force them to do anything against their will. At least they must realize they are not puppets on a string and that they actually have to ACCEPT Jesus ... geesh!

#14 Claudia_T, Jun 21, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2006
  15. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

God is not a Rapist

Some Christians act like God is some kind of a Rapist who is going to FORCE people to accept Him and etc...

THATS NOT LOVE!

16. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Claudia;
    I think I am going to beat you to 2000 posts. I sure don't know how that happened. :)

17. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Some time in the next few weeks, I'm going to preach on why you shouldn't ask Jesus into your heart. (First of all, it's not how one is saved, but there are six more on the list.)

18. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

You think He will get mad or something. There is six more? You mean six more to ask Jesus into their hearts?

19. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

No, I have a list of seven biblical reasons not to ask Jesus into your heart. There are probably more, but that's about all that I can fit into 40 minutes, if that many.

20. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Now that should be interesting. What is your age Hope?