1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Baptist Traditions? Drinking alcohol & dancing

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by KPBAP, Sep 3, 2005.

1. bapmom

bapmom New Member

JohnV,

I NEVER said anything like that! Why are you coming after me?

Why are you keeping this up as if Im arguing with you? I merely think that a couple of you are keeping this up in order to be confrontational. It bothers me that people have to act that way, thats all.

In fact, I ACTUALLY said that husbands and wives SHOULD dance together!

Hello!

2. Johnv

Johnv New Member

You rolled your eyes after my post. I assumed that this was an indication that you disapprove of me swing dancing. I was obviously mistaken.
    But can single people dance? My wife and I danced on occaision prior to being married. And we STILL managed to remain sexually pure until after that.

3. bapmom

bapmom New Member

JohnV,

I rolled my eyes because it seemed obvious that you were trying to bait the readers into continuing this pointless argument.

I gave my opinion on dancing in my very first post. TODAY'S dancing is most usually NOT tapdancing or waltzing OR square dancing, OR swing dancing. The problem I have with dancing is the modern type of "bump and grind" (forgive my lewdness) that is TYPICAL of dancing today. Two single people have no business engaging in that kind of dancing together, and it has nothing to do with the ultimate outcome possibly being sexual impurity. Frankly, moving like THAT together is, IMO, ALREADY being sexually impure.

My problem here, hence the rolling eyes, is that this discussion is going in circle after circle. And for what? Because one or two people want to get the last word in and PROVE that they are right? as always, may I add? When the point is moot....no one's arguing it!

4. It's the way you come across when you write ;)

5. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Johnv says:
    We have to be careful about wounding the conscience of others and besides that, what specifically does it mean to cause another to "stumble" or become "weak".

The Corinthians were drinkers and were coming to communion drunk. Paul says to them that they are carnal, sick, weak and even some "sleep". I surely wouldn't want to have contributed to their demise because they misunderstand the liberty that I have in the strength of my faith.

Personally, I believe these matters (dancing, alcohol as beverage) generally speaking extends only to your local church.

So, IMO, if no one at your local church is offended, so what. As for other churches, they would probably shrug it off or just think you are "eccentric". [​IMG]

I don't think these matters today cause any to make shipwreck of the faith.

I s'pose I could be wrong.

HankD

6. bapmom

bapmom New Member

RFW,

have you ever cosidered the way you come across?

7. I am not being confrontaional ! I am backing up truths in scripture. For those of you who say it is WRONG to ever have a drink are not able to back up with SCRIPTURE your point, therefore YOU are the ones who are beng confrontational. This is the main problem most legalist have.

8. bapmom

bapmom New Member

Hank,

I think you are probably right. I know when I talk about being a stumblingblock, I am referring to those young people who I teach and counsel.....for some of them they see parents chained by an addiction to alcohol, and to see ME go and drink even one drink would have a very harmful affect.

Then there's my own children. A general rule is that what the parents accept in moderation, the children will embrace and/or go to excess in. I wouldn't want them to see me taking an occasional drink and then taking their own practice too far in that because they saw me set that example.

I really don't understand why some of you can't seem to get over it.

RFW, just to make it clear, I did NOT say that I would be SINNING and GOING TO HELL if I had ONE drink of wine.....ok? NOT saying that......

Can we move on now?

9. Please Bapmom why don't you tell me ;)

10. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I would beg to differ. While this type of dancing is what we often see in the media, as a father of two high school girls, I can tell you that most social dalcing in the teenage social setting is not this type of dancing. In fact, the typical teen would look at it and say "eew, yucky". The same was true of "dirty dancing" in my igh school days. We all knew what it was, but few of us would ever engage in it.

11. Right On Hank [​IMG]

By the BAPMOM I'm not the one who has an opinion on just about every single thread. I stick to what I know. Hundred post in one week WOW !

12. bapmom

bapmom New Member

RFW,

ok, once more.....

I do not NEED God to spell it out in black and white.....I am going by a PRINCIPLE which I find in God's Word. Which, btw, other people HAVE posted in this thread. The verses about not being a stumblingblock to a weaker brother. Not using your Christian liberty for an occasion to the flesh....

Here are the specific references.....

1 Cor. 8:9
    Gal. 5:13
    1 Peter 2:16
    11 Peter 2:19
    ....obviously not an exhaustive list

Now, I do not go around looking at what you DO do.....why do you continue to go around and judge me based on what I do NOT do?

13. bapmom

bapmom New Member

wow RFW,

your Christian love just shines through more and more!

Id rather not talk to you anymore RFW. You have just shown how mean you can be, again.

I don't go around to all the threads anymore than anyone else does.

Talk about a Christian site!

14. I never said that see how you guys like to twist words when you are wrong ?
    The problem you have Bapmom is you are not able to find something right in what someone says if you have a problem with that person. Not sure what kind of counselor you are good or bad ?

I made some excellent points and so have others yet YOU refuse to acknowledge that, and continue to argue :(

15. That is YOUR Christain Liberty not others ROMANS 14 & 1 COR chapter 8 and 9

16. See you don't see how you come across.

In the thread "is it sin to be angry at God" now I see your point, you don't get angry at God just take it out on others. Yeah I saw who you sided with, the known troublemakers now what catagory does that put you in ?

I thought you said you had five kids and a husband boy where do you find the time ?

17. bapmom

bapmom New Member

Look RFW,

YOU are the one who just attacked ME....and over something as STUPID as how many posts Ive done in the last week!

Please just leave me alone.

18. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I think it would be a good time for this thread to be closed. Every case has been stated, and it seems to be getting personal.

19. I think your problem started with John, one time it was Marcie another it was me and another Webdog and someone else. So who has the problem ?

20. Watch she will have to have the last word ;)