1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Baptizo!

Discussion in 'Baptist History' started by tyndale1946, Jan 17, 2003.

1. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is why we are called Baptist because of the mode that John The Baptist and Jesus The Christ set up for us to follow!... How deep anchors this word Baptizo to the child of Gods loving grace and mercy!... That we may be buried in the liquid grave to be raised again in newness of life!... What are we without Baptizo?... Brother Glen [​IMG]

I would like some added links that you brethren might know of where we can study the history of this word and practice. I will add them as I find them and if Brother Robert feels this is more in the theology realm he may move it. I really didn't want to get into a debate on it but examine it in all its perspectives and with a level head... No matter where it leads and let the history and the practice speak for itself [​IMG]

[ January 17, 2003, 08:06 AM: Message edited by: tyndale1946 ]

2. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Brother Glen, here's a web site with lots of information on immersion/baptism:
    Baptizo - Believer's Immersion Page

I would also like to recommend three books with lots of information about the Greek word:
    Baptizo - Dip Only by W. A. Jarrell [1910, reissued in 1973 by Virgil Mayes, All Color Print, Dallas, TX]
    The Meaning and Use of Baptizein by T. J. Conant [1864, reissued in 1977 by Kregel Publications, Grand Rapids, MI]
    Handbook on Baptism by J. W. Shepherd [reissued 1972, Gospel Advocate Co., Nashville, TN]

I should add that the first two are by Baptists and that the third is by a "Campbellite." But I recommend it because it is full of quotations on the subject of baptism from numerous sources.

[ January 18, 2003, 10:37 PM: Message edited by: rlvaughn ]

3. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Brother Robert though this link goes through every twist and turn immaginable it is a very detailed study. I could not open your site but try this one when you have the time and give me your thoughts. You other brethren are free to peruse it also and tell me what you think... Brother Glen [​IMG]

http://www.acns.com/~mm9n/Baptism/100.htm

4. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for the link brother Glen. I don't know why the one above won't work for you. I just tried it and it works fine for me.

I have quickly scanned A Study on Baptism by Prof. M. M. Ninan. My first impression is that he has lots of information but that I would be a little "scared" of trusting him. I usually get an uneasy feeling about the motive of a person taking extra pains to remove the idea of the uniqueness of New Testament baptism. It didn't take long to run across items with which I disagree, but I'll just point out a few:
    That's enough to scare me!! :eek: ;)
    Most of us probably won't agree with that, but it's been discussed on other threads.
    If I scanned correctly, this is claimed but no proof is given.
    I hear this (that John's baptism was not Christian baptism) quite often even in Baptist circles, usually based on Acts 19:1-7. I don't think I've heard any of this persuasion deal with the immediately preceding verses (18:24-28) in which John's disciple Apollos was taught by Aquila & Priscilla, but not rebaptized. Perhaps the chapter division throws them off.
    Probably no comment necessary.

5. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with all you said Brother Robert... and sometimes articles have more bones than meat but then again there is some truth in all we read... May be not a lot but some! I will continue to keep an eye out and be more discerning... btw there is a good question in Baptist and Other Religions Forum... Just letting you know if you want to take a look!... Brother Glen [​IMG]

6. dwd

dwd New Member

I always find it interesting when infant baptizers put up an argument on baptizing being a covenent sign they refer to the circumssion of Israel. They use the fact that the infant not knowing right or wrong was given the sign anyway as part of the covenant. they also forget the most important aspect of that is that the infant had to be born. Now before you scratch your head think about it, Believers baptism is reserved for those who have been born again by the Holy Spirit and that is by belief in the gospel and baptism cannot and should not be administered until that has happened to an individual.
    Oh well there is my two cents. Have a nice day...............