1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Barack Obama: "A More Perfect Union"

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by KenH, Mar 18, 2008.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    1) Sadly, I have been wrong about lots of things. Perhaps leaving the Democratic Party years ago was one of them.

2) I am quite serious.

3) They are to me.

Again, there you go talking about me. I am not running for public office. Maybe I should since I am being treated like I am. :laugh:

#21 KenH, Mar 18, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2008
  2. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry, but I don't have any Kaopectate handy. :laugh:

3. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

For some reason it really bothers Pastor Larry that you have changed your viewpoint away from the right-wing position. Perhaps it's jealousy.

Either way, hang in there KenH, don't be lured back to the "dark side" of American politics.

4. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I disagree with this sentiment. I am pro-life, and I am planning on voting for Sen. McCain, just FTR. I can't fathom the concept that civil rights are not that important. Civil rights are extremely important.

Would you be willing to support a fascist who promised to outlaw all abortions? What about a communist?

5. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't worry, dragonfly, that won't happen as long as the Democratic Party stands up for our civil liberties against the likes of Bush-McCain and stands up for a non-foreign adventurism foreign policy against the likes of Cheney-McCain.

And, as I said elsewhere, I have become more progressive on economic policy during the past couple of years. (Oh no, there I go changing. :) )

#25 KenH, Mar 18, 2008
  6. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

You are certainly wrong about a lot of things.

Then that's sad.

That's even worse. I cannot imagine being so jaded and blinded that I think my civil rights are more important than life. That type of thinking shows just how far professing believers are from the values of God revealed in his word.

Your ability to say anything at all with no compunction would certainly help you to fit right in. It's not a good thing that you are being talked about here Ken. You are being talked about because of your instability and your constant changing of your mind that reveals an inability to think through issues, make a decision, and then stick with it. You are like a politician, changing like the weather.

7. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Jealousy? Of what? I am known for being indecisive, but not like Ken. What bothers me is the kind of grief that Ken gave those who dared to vote for anyone but Ron Paul or a third party. And now he says he is doing to do exactly what he condemned others for doing. That's hypocrisy. And that doesn't even address the poor judgment of supporting Obama.

8. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Civil rights are important, but more important than life? Would you vote for someone who would defend all your civil rights but go around killing people at will?

Not being a one issue voter, probably not. But it is hard to answer a hypothetical

9. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

The Democrats are not standing up for civil rights. They are picking political fights to score political points.

What you are espousing is not progressive. It is regressive.

10. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

You never know which Larry is going to show up...tolerable Larry or mean Larry. :laugh:

11. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    As I said I see similarities on civil liberties and foreign policy between Senator Obama and Congressman Paul. You don't. That's fine but because you don't is no reason to personally attack me.

Poor judgment is supporting Senator McCain, in my opinion(at least you have to admit that I have never cared for his candidacy). I think he would start another war at the drop of the hat(or maybe without a hat even being dropped) and since you are discussing changing one's mind - Senator McCain opposed torture and then voted for it a couple of weeks ago and he opposed President Bush's tax cuts and now supports them. So I guess you won't be voting for Senator McCain since he has changed political positions. Why don't you write some diatribes about him for a while?

#31 KenH, Mar 18, 2008
  12. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't recall Pastor Larry being nice to me in a long, long time. :laugh:

13. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    So does anyone want to actually discuss the speech in this thread or am I the issue du jure? :)

14. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, I wouldn't.

I'm not saying they are more important than life, but simply being pro-life does not make a candidate worthy of support without consideration of other factors. The preservation of life is a very important issue to me. It's probably even the primary issue, but I do consider other factors heavily as well.

I can say clearly that I would not vote for a fascist or communist who happened to be pro-life.

15. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

I haven't personally attacked you. I pointed out some serious issues. There are few if any similarities between Paul and Obama. I don't particularly like either one of them, but I can see that.

I have never liked him either. But compared to the other options, it is the only reasonable one.

You think Obama is a good candidate too, so I hope you will excuse us for not putting much stock in what you think.

Because I am not a supporter of Mccain. I don't follow his voting record. He has not been on here blasting people for a position and then later holding that position himself.

16. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

Well said. I read the speech and it was beautiful. But the lies have me very bothered.

17. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Generally I am very nice to people, though I admit to thinking very carefully and critically about ideas, and that is not always well accepted around here. You can however be sure that the Larry who shows up will always tell the truth.

I am not generally anything to anyone. I discuss ideas, and point out problems where I see them. I am typically much nicer to you than you are to me or to others who disagree with you. But that's neither here nor there. You are trying to detract attention from your own foiables, which aren't all that big of a deal to me. The problem is that you are doing what you blasted others for doing, and so far as I know you have yet to apologize to others for the things you said against them for doing what you now embrace.

18. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

I agree. It

19. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Okay, then. I apologize to anyone toward whom I have been harsh and insensitive about his/her political positions/decisions.

20. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Ken, while not to make this about you, when you say:
    ....I don't know whether to laugh out loud at the absurdity or report an identity theft. While Paul was far from perfect, he is head and shoulders above the nanny-state, big brother, Washington-as-usual Obama. No matter how many times you say otherwise, it just won't make it true. I for one would respect it more if you just admit what you have in the past - you like foreign policy, and Obama's foreign policy speeches have captivated you.

Now...on to reading/hearing the speech, then I'll throw in my .0038 cents (the economy, you know) :)