1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Be Fruitfull and Multiply

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Shortandy, Jun 25, 2008.

1. donnA

donnA Active Member

Because these are the families I have heard it from, from the now adult children, many many families, not one or two, but every large family I know of has been through this very thing. Because mom has more children then she is capable of tending too.

2. donnA

donnA Active Member

I've been bashed more then once on this thread because I have two children(medical reasons) and not a whole boat load.

3. TLB

TLB New Member

*i* have not said that you are sinning if you don't have 10 or 12 children. personally i can't find any where that gives a # as to when a person's "quiver is full"....

the only thing i have said about *a few* people i know who have limited their family size were...in my opinion...very selfish reasons. i never said someone was sinning due to not having a large family.

no sopranett....i don't think anyone has said that. infertility is a very painful thing. and even more painful for those who are around people who are overly blessed with fertility. my cousin and her husband have been married for 18+ yrs, never have tried to prevent having children. yet, they only have one son who is 11 yrs old.

while it is possible to raise a small family or an only child to be unselfish...most parents who have only children or small family's *for selfish reasons* will not be interested in raising the children to be unselfish.

4. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

And yet, I have more than the average number of children and I know many families who have more children that I and I am telling you that this isn't always the case. This may be your experience and your reality in your area, but in the cases I know of this is not the norm!

5. menageriekeeper

TLB, what do you consider is a selfish reason for limiting the number of children one has?

6. TLB

TLB New Member

just so we are clear as to why i am being asked....:thumbs:

1) you can't afford a house that you want (*not need) if you have another child

2) you can't afford name brand clothes for the children if you have another

3) you can't take < insert vacation here > if you have more children

4) you can't pay for ivy league colleges for all of the children you have if you have more

5) you can't go out to eat every meal if you have more children ( not to be confused with out and out not being able to afford food in general )

these are reasons i have been given....not only to not have more children but also to justify having abortions:tear:

7. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not really very selfish reasons, I think, maybe except for number one.
    I would think of these reasons as being economic dictates.
    Most parents would want more children if they can afford it.
    Who is the parent who doesn't want the best education for his kids ? or doesn't want his kids to be dressed nicely and in style ?

Even Christ told His disciples to "sit down and count the costs".
    I take this to apply to raising a family also.

I mean, take a look at my country, a devout Roman Catholic country and therefore absolutely anti-abortion.
    Given the fact that most families are "economically challenged" (to be pc in the use of terms), when dad comes home from work, assuming he has a job, most often he goes to the corner store to drink with his friends, or at his friends' houses, then comes home to mom, and every night is Valentine's night.
    Result ?
    More kids and more mouths than they can feed.
    And what happens to these kids ?
    They stop school as soon as they're able to do the three R's to help mom and dad with livelihood.

I think childbearing should be a responsible thing, and one of the factors to be considered should be economic.

8. Joe

Joe New Member

Your "stereotype" is just that. A "stereotype".

I don't "limit family size". I just don't go out of my way to do that which causes pregnancy. Although, it's not a concern now as it was some years ago.

You all crack me up the way you word things....:laugh:

#128 Joe, Jun 26, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2008
  9. Joe

Joe New Member

I have no idea why you came to this conclusion. I only gave a logical rule of thumb.

If you cannot take care of your children yourself, you have too many. It's not that hard to understand.

10. menageriekeeper

Pinoy, while I don't disagree that one must factor in economics when deciding another child I find there is a different problem with your example above than the problem of poverty.

Why is the man at the bar drinking????

The problem here is not poverty but irresponsible use of the resources God gave the father.

I'm not what you call a "submissive" wife sometimes and this would be one of those times. If I caught my DH out spending money in a manner as to harm the well being of my children, he wouldn't live to tell about it much less come home to "Valentine's Day"!

If he has time to play and we need money he has time to work a second job (there have been times when my DH has worked 3) or he has time to stay home with the kids while I work a job.

This is what responsible parents do, regardless of the number of children they have.

11. Joe

Joe New Member

Yes, I helped out alot. Raised myself and my sister, or if you ask her, she will say she raised me. Which she did when we were toddlers through about 6 years old. Then I took over. But having deadbeat parents is no reason to start a cycle of deadbeat parents. I know some large families have it together, are very loving and do a good job. Or a great job. So this is not a cut and dry statement.

12. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

You are correct. The same holds true for England. Worse yet the Muslims who come to Western Europe know this as well and it plays a part in radical Islamic world's plan to conquer Europe in response to the offense of the crusades from the middle ages.

The funny thing is the title of this thread caught my eye because I was watching the games show, "Family Feud" the other day. The contestants were asked to name seven of the Ten Commandments. One family responded, "Be fruitful and multiply." Sad....

#132 Bible-boy, Jun 26, 2008
  13. donnA

donnA Active Member

As I have already said, it's not just my area, my grandmother was from michigan, and not everyone I've heard it from was from here. So it has nothing to do with my area.

14. donnA

donnA Active Member

Limiting number of children is selfish? Wanting to keep children fed, and clothed, and knowing you can not do it with more children is selfish? I don't think so.

15. donnA

donnA Active Member

1. we didn't then, nor do we now own a house. our house was tiny, and cold, and wet, no hot water(cold water frozen in the winter, had to save milk jugs), no bathroom. Yet, if we wanted soemthing more for our family, you would have called us selfish.

2. we couldn't afford no name clothes from wal mart, most of the time we couldn't even buy clothes from the dollar store, we bought used clothes, and the cheapest we could find. I remember when my son started transistioning into adult jeans, we searched and searched for good used jeans for him, and found one pair for $1. we had to spik a bill to buy him another pair from the store. But prehaps we were being selfish.

3. we have never had a vacation, ever, neither have either of our children.

4. neither of our children had the oppertunity to go to college because we couldn't pay for it. They did not qualify for enough grants to pay for it.

5. we never ate out when our children were young, my kids didn't eat resturant food until they were like 4 or 5, and that was a real treat at mcdonalds, but we had to hold it under $10. for 4 of us. It was another year or two before they had resturant food again, when my grandmother came to visit and wanted to eat out once.

So I guess we're pretty selfish.

16. Joe

Joe New Member

I am just wondering but did you have to hide from the County to live there? Did they threaten you?

Around here, they will come in and force you to move into affordable housing or they threaten to sick CPS on you, kinda sad. They aren't nice about trying to coax some parents to move. Most jump at the chance. The affordable housing consists of fairly large apartments, nice ones with a playground and lots of green grass. We painted them. Rent is a certain percent of your income, so it is always affordable. Loose your job and no rent payment that month.

17. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, I must not have worded it correctly, but that is exactly what I am saying.

Irresponsibility.

The reason he's out drinking with friends is because that's just about the only thing they can do in the city given the low wages they have. Liquor can be bought retail. That is, half a bottle, or a quarter. They pool in their resources and they are able to drink, not get drunk, but just drink, and socialize with each other.

It's a whole different culture than yours here, but bottom line is they have so many kids because given their social situation Valentine's is just about all they can do when they come home.

What happens ?

Inability to raise the kids properly, not to mention with the fear of the Lord. Because they were also raised improperly by their parents, since the parents have the same issue: too many kids, not enough resources.
    It's what they saw, it's how they lived.

That said, I can see why you say the answer doesn't seem relevant, and I agree.
    That said, I am bowing out for now and declaring this post a "senior moment of pinoybaptist".

#137 pinoybaptist, Jun 26, 2008
  18. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I've been out all day so just getting to some of these posts...

What you are saying above is not normal and a situation where CPS could be involved. It is not parenting no matter how many children they have. My mother grew up in a family very much like the above but she was the baby so she never had to take care of the others. However, she had 2 siblings and they were mostly alone in their house - my mother coming home to an empty apartment at 5 years old. Cooking dinner, doing laundry, even going to bed by themselves ....all because my grandmother had to work after being divorced from a straying husband. Atleast back then, it was more the kind of situation where the neighbors would watch out for the other little ones but nowadays everyone is so alone.

I honestly do not see the above situations typical in the large families that I've seen including families with 13 and 14 children. I know you stated that the above was told to you by now grown children - and I wonder how much is "well I can top that" or what THEIR perception is and how much was true. Hey - my then 11 year old complained because she had to clean the bathroom weekly (it was hers and her sister's) when NONE of her friends had to clean THEIR bathrooms. She actually said she felt like Cinderella. LOL

19. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Let's not forget that they couldn't have the new cars every 4 years, the Coach handbags, the filet mignon for dinner, belong to the yacht club or have the latest Ethan Allen furniture! Yeah, we might have more money if we had less kids (we have 4), but I'd trade ANYTHING I own for them. I'd rather have a house full of kids with a casserole on the old farm table than one or two with steak on a "Farmhouse" table. :)

20. donnA

donnA Active Member

We weren't hiding from anyone.
    You mean goverment housing. No rent payment means you move out. And there were so few of them here then that there was a couple of years waiting list. And with no regular income (which farm work is, irregular, depending on the weather, or the season) we didn't even qualify. I lived there for a while when I was a kid, they are not nice places, they are more violent then when we lived in chicago. No play grounds, no where for kids to play outside, and they're in danger if they do play outside. They are full of drugs, sex, and as I said violence.