1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Being haunted by Devils/Ghosts

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Aug 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

That was the very question I asked on the thread I started last year. What is the purpose in their interaction with believers, and why does God allow it (decree it if one is a determinist)? Why would there be the sounds of children laughing coming from the attic / roof area at 3am that not only woke me up but my wife? I still don't know the answer.

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't have an answer. We could also ask why did demons posses people in Jesus day? Satan is a roaring Lion and he has his agenda. Trying to get anymore specific than that is most likely a fools errand.

We know they are there and they are not of God. And we know Satan works to turn people away from God.

3. salzer mtn

salzer mtn Well-Known Member

At my saved grandfathers burial ground as the preacher was giving the gravesite prayer a violin began to play Amazing Grace somewhere in the distance. As this was a backwoods mountain setting and houses were not to close together the ones that heard it thought a Angel was playing the song. I was there and didn't here it as were a few others that didn't. My father and uncle heard this and were sinners to the core but this was quite upsetting to them. These men being rational in mind knew there was a logical answer, while others that heard the violin were well satisfied the Angel was the answer. After the service my uncle and father jumped in their pickup trucks and headed up the road. About a half a mile away they found a house with a man sitting on the front porch with a violin in his hands. The only ones they told of their findings were the immediate family, and I guess to this day some friends and distant relatives still think the Angel played Amazing Grace at my grandfathers funeral.

#43 salzer mtn, Aug 6, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2013
  4. Jope

Jope Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The gospel of Luke contains a lot of the spiritual. I don't think that Luke, being a physician, was irrational.

5. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think this is a wise position to take. We don't have to know or understand the motivation for these activities to take them seriously. That's one of the major issues we have in Western thought today. If it doesn't fit our current understanding, we tend to ignore or ridicule it if we don't have a theory as to why it is so. It takes humility and wisdom to realize that there are many things we don't understand and we will not gain understanding until we pay attention and become teachable.

Absolutely. :thumbs:

6. AresMan

AresMan Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Years ago I was with two other guys doing door-to-door witnessing and a boy who was probably about five years old answered the door. We told him what we were doing and asked if we could talk to the adults that we saw were there. He said that they were getting ready to go somewhere. He seemed to act like he was much older than he looked.

A man came up and we were talking with him and he seemed curious about the gospel. He was listening intently, but the young boy kept interrupting and saying that they had to go. He just stood out so much to the three of us there as if he were "possessed" and he really knew what we were doing and did not like it. We could see this hatred in his face and almost a tactical smile. It was almost as if the devil was right there trying to stop us from sharing the gospel through this very young boy. It was the weirdest thing.

7. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I suppose I owe you an apology, as a phenomenon in our house has become so common I overlooked it after making fun of ghosts and UFOs. In our bedroom, we have a rather large bird cage with eight parakeets. On a regular basis, usually around 2 or 3 AM, the birds will flutter wildly around the cage. Of course, it wakes me up. Shortly after that, I hear distinct footsteps in the attic. At first, I would pull down the steps, and go up to look around. There is nothing there. I have gotten so lazy, I do not get up, and roll over and go back to sleep. My son heard the footsteps once while he was visiting here. I have no explanation for the occurrences.

8. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In my past experience we dealt with hearing foot steps at night as well. I heard them as a teen for a couple of years and thought it was just my imagination. After things broke loose one night I found out from my dad that he had heard them as well.

9. salzer mtn

salzer mtn Well-Known Member

Houses settle as the old timers call it during the night hours, especially the older ones and houses that have upstairs living quarters, they groan and screak and make all kinds of weird sounds.

10. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

I'm completely deaf without my hearing aid, which I do not wear at night.

But in my head I often hear weird noises at night.

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Yeah...you just keep believing that. I guess this 'settling' also produces shadows in some fashion.

12. Gabriel Elijah

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Web--When it comes to demonic activity of any kind-- the reality of the event can be hard to verify with tangible evidence. This is especially true with demons causing paranormal activity. Although the experience is very real for the person undergoing it, many (even Christians) deny the authenticity of the incident & simply chalk it up to a logical explanation that hasn’t been found yet. This in turn causes the sufferer to seek help where ever it may be found. The fact is, when it comes to paranormal activity, the majority of aid comes from those who apply false religious practices. This is exactly why the demons are performing paranormal activity in the first place, to encourage biblically forbidden methods. If the false religious methods are successful, it gives off the impression of a pseudo-salvation outside of Jesus Christ (ie the demons cause the problem & once they get what they want-- they simply make the problem go away). Why this kind of thing happens to Christians is multifaceted, but one primary reason is to let them experience it, recognize the reality of it, & offer aid to other victims that follow Scriptural guidelines—primarily that one can only legitimately overcome the demonic with Christ as their substitute & his power acting on their behalf. There is a lot more to the issue—but when I speak about the topic—I always remind Christians that it’s not their fault if they start experiencing paranormal activity—but it is their fault if they call in a ghost hunter, a psychic, or perform any kind of false religious or necromantic activity. In short if you are experiencing any of these things, there is a good chance that you will someday meet someone in your life that also experiences them & needs to know how to alleviate the problem in a biblical manner.

13. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Good post, GE!

14. DrJamesAch

DrJamesAch New Member

When I was in the US, I have PERSONALLY witnessed a devil possessed female child who had an abnormal temperature (well below 98.6), levitate off of a bed and throw 5 grown men off of her while mocking God in several different voices and pitches at the same time. The girls family tried to call priests and they got pummeled. It was as if the devils were telling these priests, "Jesus we know, but WHO ARE YOU?" Acts 19:15.

One of her brothers had been attending a Baptist church and called his pastor where I happened to be at the time and we went to the girls house while she continued to talk to the pastor, who then contacted a Baptist evangelist named Randy Hogue. While the girl was on the phone with this pastor, she threw the 5 men off of her when the pastor mentioned that Randy Hogue was on his way to their house. When Randy got there, it took 5 minutes for a Baptist preacher to call on the REAL Jesus to do what 5 Catholics couldn't do in several hours. The girl trusted Christ for salvation during this and the problem never returned.

I've also seen some devilish resistance in witnessing to Muslims, but never like what I'd seen from that girl. There was no logical or rational explanation for the strength that girl had nor the different voices coming out of that girl or her body temperature and the frigid chill in the room when the windows were shut and the rest of the house was heated. She was at least 12-13 and had no history of violent behavior, drug use, acting out, she was outgoing and pleasant, and did well in school until just a few weeks after playing on a Ouija board with some friends.

There are several examples in the Bible of demonic activity long after the resurrection of Christ, and Revelation is full of the activities of Satan even though the full preterist and amillennialists, et al, would claim that Satan is supposedly bound DURING REVELATION. The Biblical evidence and what I have personally seen convince me that demonic activity is a certain reality.

#54 DrJamesAch, Aug 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2013
  15. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My freshmen year Biology & Algebra teachers both were either possessed or bery bery evil.

16. Jope

Jope Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey evangelist, I like the thinking you're doing, but you know the criticism is going to be, "where does it say that a demon took the form of a man"?

I am curious as to if the bible ever says that.

I think that, with demonic possession, the closest we may get is the passage about the unclean spirit bringing seven other spirits with him into the well-swept house. I remember doing some thinking about that passage a while ago, and trying to fit this passage with Judas Iscariot, who was to be the antichrist. The Lord calls him "the son of perdition" (John 17:12, KJV), and St. Paul calls him the same in the Thessalonian epistle (2Thess. 2:3).

The Lord said that Judas is one devil (John 6:70), matching with the description of the man in Matthew's gospel (Matthew 12:43-45).

I think that, a plausible interpretation is that, since these unbelieving Jews did not accept their Messiah, they will be given their antichrist. Just as Christ was resurrected, so too the antichrist, or at least, the head of the beast, will be (Rev. 13:3). This is why Matthew has the unclean spirit departing ensuing the rejection of Christ and departure into Hades (the sign of Jonah).

Matthew 12, ESV
    38 Then some of the scribes and Pharisees answered him, saying, “Teacher, we wish to see a sign from you.” 39 But he answered them, “An evil and adulterous generation seeks for a sign, but no sign will be given to it except the sign of the prophet Jonah. 40 For just as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of the great fish, so will the Son of Man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth. 41 The men of Nineveh will rise up at the judgment with this generation and condemn it, for they repented at the preaching of Jonah, and behold, something greater than Jonah is here. 42 The queen of the South will rise up at the judgment with this generation and condemn it, for she came from the ends of the earth to hear the wisdom of Solomon, and behold, something greater than Solomon is here.

43 “When the unclean spirit has gone out of a person, it passes through waterless places seeking rest, but finds none. 44 Then it says, ‘I will return to my house from which I came.’ And when it comes, it finds the house empty, swept, and put in order. 45 Then it goes and brings with it seven other spirits more evil than itself, and they enter and dwell there, and the last state of that person is worse than the first. So also will it be with this evil generation.”​

#56 Jope, Aug 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2013
  17. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    bet they liked polished rice a lot, bro.

18. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

I do not deny demon possession of unbelievers or the demonic repression of believers at all. But not everything that goes "bump in the night" has demonic roots.

19. Winman

Winman Active Member

We had a series of events that happened in our house from about 1989 to 1992.

It all started when we moved from Florida to Connecticut. My oldest daughter had a friend named Susie (not her real name). Her and my daughter were best friends, and Susie used to attend church with us nearly every Sunday. They were both 13 years old in '89.

After we moved Susie used to talk to my daughter on the phone every week. She told us she had made new friends who were into witchcraft and the Ouija Board. Susie said the board really moved and that objects around her were beginning to move. My daughter would tell me these stories, and I would tell her to tell Susie not to play around with the occult.

That Christmas we invited Susie to come up and spend her vacation with us. She had never seen snow in her life. That night when we picked her up at Bradley Airport it began to snow heavily. We got 15 inches that night, and Susie, my oldest daughter and son played in the snow till their fingers were nearly frostbit. Susie was thrilled.

Over the two weeks Susie stayed with us, she continued to talk about objects around her moving. Then one day my daughter told me she also believed some articles like jewelry were moving, she would find bracelets or necklaces on the floor. I got very angry and confronted Susie, I told her I did not want to hear another word about objects moving. Susie never mentioned this again and flew home after New Years.

Time went by, but on occasion strange things happened in our home. My daughter would find all her clothes thrown about her room (she lived in a bedroom in the basement we had made for her). She would come up and accuse her 5 and 2 year old sisters of doing this, but my wife guaranteed they had not been in her room. So, we wondered what was going on, but soon forgot. These incidents did not happen often, maybe six months apart (at first).

Maybe two years after, just after Christmas, my daughter had a friend over. She was a good girl who is a nurse today. My daughter had two beds in her bedroom and they were lying in these beds girl talking. I had bought my daughter a type of disco light that sat on her dresser and rotated, shining pretty lights all over the room. Suddenly, the light violently slid across the dresser and crashed into the mirror overturning. My daughter and her friend ran upstairs very excited and told me what happened. They both swore that this light moved all by itself and crashed. I went down to my daughter's room and saw the light, but I could not explain what happened. My daughter's windows were closed, and we had no pets or pest problems.

I will say here my daughter is no goof. She was an honor student all through school, she was Treasurer her Junior Year, and Class President her Senior year. She never smoked, took drugs, ran around with boys or any sort of trouble. She is a good Christian girl who is happily married today.

Though this was disturbing, as were the other events, after awhile you just kinda forget. But things continued to happen.

About a year later my daughter woke me up at around 3 A.M.. She was very excited. She told me she had heard a loud noise in her room that woke her up. She sat up in bed and looked around her room. On her dresser she had a large crystal candleholder. This candleholder was vibrating wildly, and this is what was causing the loud noise. Suddenly, this candleholder flew through the air at my daughter. She had a canopy bed, and the candleholder struck the bed just above her head, shot to the floor and shattered to pieces. She ran up the stairs and woke me up.

I asked her repeatedly if perhaps she had dreamed the whole thing. Perhaps the candleholder simply fell and shattered waking her up, and she dreamed the rest. She was very emphatic that she was wide awake and that the candleholder flew through the air just as she told. She said she thought the candleholder was going to hit her in the face, but it struck the bed above her.

There is much more to this story, but that is enough for now. If you think I am making this up, then I should really be a professional writer.

These incidents continued to happen and intensified, greatly upsetting my whole family. I will tell the rest later.

20. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I had similar activities living in south Florida at the time as a youth myself. We used to play D& D a lot and there was worship of gods in the game. After our evening of events we burned every related to the game and never seen a problem again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.