1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Beloved, test not the spirits...

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Speedpass, Jan 24, 2003.

1. Speedpass

Speedpass Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Could that be a warning for Christians to to be leery of "speaking in tongues"?

2. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

Where does it say, "Beloved, test not the spirits..."?

3. Speedpass

Speedpass Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  4. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

I John 4:1 Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.
    The King James Version, (Cambridge: Cambridge) 1769.
    I thought that was what you were in reference to. The reason I asked you to clarify was that this passage actually DOES say to try (test) the spirits. If they (whoever) say something that is contrary to scripture then you know thay are not of God but of the spirit of antichrist. Discernemt is the ability to tell the difference between the spirit of truth and the spirit of error. We can't depend on our own way of thinking, we must rely on the scriptures and the Holy Spirit inside each of us. This verse can have an application to tongues but it is a more general teaching about discernment.

5. Pete

Pete New Member

I agree with Artimaeus 1001% re: ...it is a more general teaching about discernment.

There are no specific warnings in the Bible about teachers today, eg God did not write "Watch out for that Benny Hinn guy....", however God did give us many general warnings about false teachers, false prophets, and the garbage they come out with.

Pete