1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Best Handgun for Rookie Gun Owner?

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by InTheLight, May 25, 2015.

1. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think that one is 1/2" above the limit. I checked it out when I first obtained it.

Yea, maybe in the beginning they're fun, but you have to be careful with them because of their size, they're almost like having a firecracker go off close to your hand; I've even had my hand/fingers blackened from shooting them, but you do need to shoot them enough to get a feel for their capabilities. I've a .22 Colt Woodsman and a RWS .17 air rifle that I prefer for 'plunking' for fun. Belt buckle no, not my style, I've always worn loose clothing w/deep pockets, the .22 mag rests nicely in front pants pocket.

#61 kyredneck, Jun 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2015
  2. SovereignGrace

SovereignGrace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Spoken like a redblooded american. Those Remington 1100's are hard to lug in the hills if you were hunting. I like the Winchester 1200. I owned one. Your's holds 5 shells? Someone pulled the plug out. :laugh: :smilewinkgrin:

3. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lol, I had to go look, it is an H & R Topper Buck Model 162 - sawed off, and 12 ga.

[​IMG]

The lower one is Chinese-made military shotgun I picked up from a neighbor several years ago. Last summer my gun fanatic war veteran youngest SIL and I did some testing with various 00 buck ammo and this weapon proved very effective out to 60 yds and maybe even out to 80 with a certain Federal round he had (which reminds me I need to follow up and purchase some of those). It was odd though, we trialed some 3.5 in magnum rounds that maybe were good to only 40 yds AND they nearly broke your shoulder shooting them.

4. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Remington plant that produces the 1100 and 870 is less than half a mile from my house. My son and about 2/3 of the church work there. Got to keep the neighbors gainfully employed.

Remington's 870 Marine will hold 6 in the tube and one in the chamber.

I have one of those Winchester 1200s. It has a 28 inch vent rib (fixed choke) and an 18" home defense barrel. I don't think it's been out of the cabinet in 20 years or so.

As for lugging the 1100... eat grits for breakfast and put hot sauce on your scrambled eggs. That'll get you into lugging shape in no time.

5. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yep. Shoot .22LRs. See no need to shoot magnums regularly for my purposes (plinking).

Friend of mine has a buckle for his. Good thing that they point the pistol elsewhere but downward.:laugh:

6. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Or...buy an Ithaca 37. ;)

#66 Rolfe, Jun 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2015
  7. SovereignGrace

SovereignGrace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Those Remington 870 Wingmasters were really good guns. After 1973, the spoon was black and not silver. Never owned or shot one, but they were pretty and really good guns. Didn't they make an 878 to replace it?

8. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ...a Yankee eat grits??? ....where you really from?

9. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No Yankee I know eats grits...it just isn't done.

10. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen....But they have gotten expensive.....But that's my gun of choice for upland Bird hunting.:smilewinkgrin:

11. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm from the South. South of the Barge Canal and NYS Thruway by 1/4 of a mile. I started eating grits when I was in the Army. I have them every Saturday morning now full of cheddar cheese and topped with 3 eggs sunny side up and a liberal splash or two or three of hot sauce.

EWF says, "No Yankee I know eats grits...it just isn't done." You're right in a way. You can buy a bucket full of grits for a buck. Go to a fancy restaurant and order polenta for $7.95. Polenta is an Italian word for expensive grits.

Back to talking about firearms. Anyone have any experience with a .25ACP?

12. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm talking Taylor ham, eggs, pierogies, potato and onions fried with rye toast and lots of butter. That's Jersey food...that's diner fare.....And don't forget the ketchup....not American w/o it. Now back to guns.

13. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lot's of LEOs have carried .25 pocket pistols for backup, .380 has largely replaced it, same applies to them, any gun is better than no gun. I've got an el cheapo Sat Nite Special Raven Arms .25 I picked in a trade as 'boot' several years ago. I'd much rather have .22 mag than a .25 jmo.