1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Best majority text version?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by banana, Sep 5, 2015.

1. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I must have missed where the EMTV was advocated as the best. I saw multiply posts indicating the WEB was the best.

Lets take a quick look, in John 3:16 the EMTV uses "begotten" whereas the WEB uses "one and only."

Now lets compare Revelation 13:8:
    Here we see much more clarity in the WEB, less use of archaic words (killed versus slain) and according to Dr. Wallace, the most probable placement of the phrase "from the foundation of the world."

Just a quick study but I am convinced the WEB seems best to me.

2. McCree79

McCree79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Question for Rippon and Martin,

Do we really want to say the Holy Spirit choose the word "sarx"? Did the Holy Spirit dictate words to the writers, or did the Holy Spirit provide a message and allow the writer to use his own words?

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

3. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    2 Timothy 3:16 All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness,
    17 that the man of God may be proficient, having been thoroughly equipped for every good work.

Not just the words, but the case, number, and gender.

Galatians 3:16 Now to Abraham and his seed were the promises made. He saith not, And to seeds, as of many; but as of one, And to thy seed, which is Christ.

4. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Proverbs 30:5. 'Every word of God is pure; He is a shield to those who put their trust in Him.'
    There are no mistakes in Scripture, except those made by men. It is not for us to decide whether we can omit something, or add it. It is a dreadful manifestation of pride which says, "I think God's being a bit long-winded here; I'll just leave this bit out!"

5. McCree79

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Inspiration is not dictation. If the Holy Spirit dictated every word, they why does the Holy Spirit stylistically change from writer to writer?

6. McCree79

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course their is no mistakes. But surely you can't expect the Holy Spirit to have dictated every word, when vocabulary and style changed writer to writer. Scriptures are inerranant and infallible. Doesn't mean the Holy Spirit had to chose each word. Just means he guide each author and allowed no mistakes.

7. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Before we edge into a debate over inspiration, the topic is what is the best available translation of the Majority Text, and the consensus seems to be the WEB.

8. McCree79

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think Van just busted me for highjacking a thread

9. McCree79

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As far as the WEB goes, I haven't used it much since I can't get a paper bound edition, but I have no issues with what I have read(what little it may be).

10. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You seem confused regarding the process of inspiration. Nobody is advocating dictation.

Inspiration is defined as that work of the Holy Spirit of God upon the minds, souls, and bodies of the Scripture writers which makes their writings the record of a progressive divine revelation.

The Verbal and Formal Inspiration position believes that first of all the Holy Spirit worked in the Prophets of the Old Testament and the Apostles of the New Testament in such a way that the very words of God were selected from the vocabulary of the man, taking into account his culture, education, and experience, and that not only the very words, but also the forms of the words, such as noun, pronoun, verb, adverb, singular, plural, etc., were written at the prompting of the Holy Spirit.

As to dictation, the Dictation or Mechanical Theory holds that inspiration consisted in such a possession of the minds and bodies of the Scripture writers by the Holy Spirit, that they became passive instruments, not participating in any way in the process of inspiration. This theory fails to explain the medical terms used by Luke, the military and sporting terms used by Paul, and the distinct differences between the books written by the various Old and New Testament writers. Of course, we must grant that there are instances when God's communications to mankind were in an audible voice, and took the form of spoken words, and that sometimes God commanded men to commit these words to writing for the edification of all men. However, the Dictation Theory would force this occasional event upon all of Scripture, quite apart from the evidence to the contrary.

#70 TCassidy, Sep 28, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2015
  11. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Holy spirit allowed each writer of sacred text to put down the wording as they saw fit, but in that process, he also made sure that what got recorded down was word for word what God intended to have them say to us!

The originals were fully without any errors, as when they spoke concerning spiritual/historical/geography etc was all 'thus sayith the Lord!"

And we see just how precise God was, as paul meant that the SEED was jesus christ, not seeds///

12. McCree79

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are allowing dictation theory into inspiration. There is no evidence for the Holy Spirit choosing each word. Paul says in multiple spots, "I say, Not the Lord". While Paul is not saying something directly dictated, it does not mean he was not inspired by the Holy Spirit to write it.

Jesus promised the Holy Spirit would give them remembrance and would guide them into all truth. "This indicates a special superintending work of the Holy Spirit whereby the disciples would remember and record without error all that Jesus had said" Indications found in John14:26; 2 Peter 3:2; 1Corthians 2:13; 1 Thessalonians 4:15; Rev 22:18-19.

When we say that all the words of the Bible are God's words, we are talking about the RESULT of the PROCESS bringing Scripture into existence. Not the process itself.

"In cases where the ordinary human personality and writing style of the author were prominently involved, as seems the cases with the major part of Scripture, all that we are able to say is that God's providential oversight and direction of the life of each author was such that their personalities, their backgrounds, and training, their abilities to evaluate, events around them, their access to historical data, their judgement with regard to accuracy of information, and individual circumstances when they wrote, were exactly what God wanted then to be, so that when they came to the point of putting pen to paper, the words were fully their own words but also fully the words God wanted them to write, words that God would claim has his own"

While the Holy Spirit was providing oversight, that does not automatically imply that each word was chosen by God. The message was given by God, and it was written without error with help of God. I don't see how we are able to say, "God chose every word in the Bible" and not end up with dictation of the Holy Spirit. When can however easily say that God allowed his truth to come through and it is without error. To say He placed each word in their minds, I think is to go beyond Scripture.

*quotes from Wayne Grudem Systematic theology textbook

13. McCree79

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes!!!! I agree.

14. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Based on the two sample verses you provided, I think I would marginally prefer the other one. But it's not clear to me that either is a real improvement to the NKJV, and call me old fashioned, but until there is a paper version available, I'm not going consider changing.

15. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I certainly do. Either the Bible is the word of God or it isn't. Do you really want to say that we can just leave the word out when it suits us?

16. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Exactly! Unfortunately McCree79 doesn't seem to understand that very simple fact.

17. McCree79

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did you not read his post or not read what you wrote. You claim the Holy Spirit choose each word from the vocabulary from man, but then you agree that man was allowed to use the words they saw fit? You contradict yourself. You are still trying to claim dictation, bit saying you are not. You claim to Holy Spirit didn't use men as completely controlled instruments, but you claim every word was dictated to them. You are arguing with your self on this thread

18. McCree79

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with him. You are the one claim each word was dictated by the Holy Spirit.

How is the Holy Spirit dictating every world, not dictating?????

You are not presenting it as man used how he saw fit ,which also maintains, through the Holy Spirit, God's word. You are presenting dictation of the Holy Spirit. You just claim to Holy Spirit dictated differently based on education level, culture and experience of the writer.

19. McCree79

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I never claimed to leave the order out? You are making a phantom argument. I'm just not claiming dictation of the Holy Spirit

20. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    were the originals then fully without errors or mistakes then?