1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Best Seminary in the world....

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by PastorSBC1303, Feb 10, 2005.

1. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

What is the best seminary in the world?

What makes it the best?

2. Jabbezzz

Jabbezzz New Member

Masters Divinity School is America's most unique divinity school...............

www.mdivs.edu

3. Nord

Nord New Member

Yep......it was rather unique. I think at one point requiring a grand total of 6 courses with no pesky exams for the Doctor of Practical Ministry. Rather scary...

Nord

4. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    PastorSBC1303

What do you mean by "best?"

What do you want?

Dispensational/Scholarship? Then probably DTS.

Exegetical/Pastoral leadership? Then probably The Master's Seminary/Jn Mac Arthur?

Soul Winning/Scriptural Inerrancy in SBC context? Possibly Mid America (my alma mater)?

Flagship SBC/SBC Scholoarship? Probably SBTS in Louisville (my alma mater)?

Evanglical/Reformed? Then probably RTS/RC Sproul?

"Best" really is a relative term in this type of context. When one defines what is wanted then the question can better be answered?

What do you want your education to do for you? Ate you going to pastor, going to the mission field, going to grad school, going to a PhD program outside your denom, going to have a ministry of writing, etc. et al?

It has been my experience that God has not lead me to see the whole plan at once. I've gone to/through schools that were where I was located and I knew at the time God's leading was there.

So, it seems to me that the overarching question is, "What is God's will for me at this point in time?" But, we still can to ask and consult (sometimes insult) on questions such as yours.

My two cents worth!

sdg!

rd

5. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pardon the typos in the last post!!

rd

6. Broadus

Broadus Member

The best seminary in the world is the one that exists in the fantasy of my mind. Of course, things about it change from moment to moment, so it has to be the best at that particular moment.

Bill

7. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

The best seminary is right where you are planted. If Christianity does not work where you are then it does not work.

Until you have discipled someone don't waste your time. Going to seminary will not help you to reach people if you are not already doing it. It will help you to be better prepared but it will not give you a motivation of obedience if you do not come with that. I have seen may helped and hindered by their attitude. Many have been hindered because they left having a degree and a job but did not have the zeal and obedience it takes to love Jesus first.

The best seminary in the world will not make something out of you that you are not, nor have any desire to be.

8. PastorSBC1303

I was not asking for my benefit. I have a MDiv from Midwestern Baptist Theological Seminary and am currently working on a DMin in Expository Preaching at the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary.

I was just curious in what others thought when this question was posed. I think you list some great answers and I agree it is a very subjective question.

Thanks for your thoughts! [​IMG]

9. PastorSBC1303

I have to say I didn't expect the Master's Divinity School to be listed here.

10. PastorSBC1303

I don't completely agree with you here. BUT I think you make some very valid points about the expectation level of going to seminary. Thanks.

11. 1611 KJV

1611 KJV Guest

It is not seminary but I think PBI.

12. Lacy Evans

Lacy Evans New Member

LCU is a great place to start.

(Local Church "University")

Lacy

13. izzaksdad

izzaksdad New Member

I would say that SEBTS in Wake Forest is among the top 3. It would be hard to find, even among the Southern Baptist Seminaries, as elite a faculty as SE has. Dr. Akin, President of SE, is regarded by most in the theological who's who, as the THE Who among the who's. He is not as well known in the public as Dr. Mohler (SBTS), but is as, if not more competent and sharp as Mohler in the theological genre. His staff at SEBTS is incomparable when it comes to training Pastors/theologians.

14. PastorSBC1303

I do not think SEBTS is quite in the league of Southern yet, but it is well on its way. Dr. Akin is a great man of God and I respect him and Dr. Mohler as two of the top leaders in the academic and theological world.

15. JGrayhound

JGrayhound New Member

Come on.
    Dr. Akin is a great man and has a great mind, but he is not in the same league as Mohler when it comes to theological competence. I think he would admit that as well.

Again, SEBTS is on the right track and getting better...but the faculty is not anywhere near as good as the faculty at Southern.

16. Jabbezzz

Jabbezzz New Member

May I ask why not? [​IMG]

17. PatsFan

PatsFan New Member

I think Rhetorician is on to something in his response. I can't think of one seminary that doesn't have at least one deficiency. For scholarship I like Gordon-Conwell, but GCTS could do a better job with church planting.

18. PastorSBC1303

May I ask why not? [​IMG] </font>[/QUOTE]It is not a top notch school in the academic world. If you think it is, please make you case. I have not seen or heard anything to change my mind. But give it your best shot...

19. Jabbezzz

Jabbezzz New Member

Did I suggest that MDS is "top notch?" Luther Rice, Bob Jones, Tennessee Temple and a host of other schools are not "top notch in the academic world." Top notch would be right at the top, would it not?

I have no connection with MDS, I only asked why you did not expect to see MDS on the list.

20. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    PastorSBC1303

If you are talking about my post concerning The Master's Seminary/Jn Mac's school, you may be correct. I am just basing my won presuppositions on what and who Jn Mac has been to me personally and to the Evangelical community at large. Look at the man's life.

His excellence in preaching and teaching, his exegesis and exposition, his writing and reading in such broad areas that has touched so many, many lives ARE my argument.

I would argue those things mentioned could bring you to the conclusion that he has ablility, he is willing, he is focused, he has the resources, he has the time, he has the leadership abilities, and he has the church's backing to do the job. "Last but not least," he is led to do it by the Spirit of the Lord! Obviously!!

Look at it from the "Gamaliel Rule!" If it is not of God it will not (cannot) stand!

And what is also obvious to me is that it takes time to build a quality academic program. But, Jn Mac's commitment to excellence is legendary. That will come.

I will grant the fact that not many church based schools have what it takes to do this big a job. But most of them are based on a (some) narrower set(s) of assumptions or presuppositions like some of the non-accredited schools discussed on other threads. The best argument is to look at the graduates' lives, ministries, actions, and attitudes to see if the school is a success or no!? Look at the men's lives.

My two cents worth.

sdg!

rd