1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Best & Worst Christian Books You've Read

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by preacher4truth, May 30, 2013.

1. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

I said this after seeing your list of books, to encourage you to a higher level of reading and growth:

Your ridiculous and immature response below (not including your slander laden PM) :wavey:

This is how you react to any suggestions (at least publicly). You and I know how you reacted privately.

Yes I am aware that you cannot stomach any type of criticism. You're very immature Paul. I don't care what your age is in years, in spirit you are immature.

Here was my response to your above post where you felt so 'put down, demeaned and insulted' because I suggested more weighty books for your growth:

In other words there was nothing in any of my responses that put you down, demeaned you, or insulted you.

To which you responded like this:

I suggested that you read some other works, books of higher caliber. That upset you and you went on a tangent even to the point of sending slanderous PM's to me. You cannot handle criticism at any point and many have attempted to help you grow up and help you theologically and you slander all who do so. No one can point out your glaring theological errors. To do so would cause them to receive a slander laden response from you. No one can assist you. No one can teach you. We've seen this behavior of yours and it's a pattern and a shameful pattern. You're very immature and quite a feeble minded man Paul, and this I say in love.

Slander away. My Inbox has room. Be you.

- Blessings

#61 preacher4truth, Jun 2, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2013
  2. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

:BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:

3. quantumfaith

The Mission of God...Christopher JH Wright
    Decision Making and the Will of God An alternative to the traditional view...Gary Friesen
    Hearts of Iron, Feet of Clay....Gary Friesen
    A History of Christianity... Paul Johnson
    A History of Christianity... David Bentley Hart
    Doors of the Sea (A Theodicy) David Bentley Hart
    Several by William Lane Craig
    Darwin's Black Box....Michael Behe
    The Edge of Evolution...Michael Behe
    A Survey of the Old Testatment....Lasor, Hubbard and Bush
    A Survey of the Old Testament
    Systematic Theology by Norman Geisler

Don't have any "worst" reads....if I "deem" it to be horrible, I put it down, I have even read some from Rob Bell.

4. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

5. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've read many "will of God" books and agree, this is a gem.

Rob

6. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wow....

....did I upset you in the PM so badly that you had to bring it to the public forum and shred my integrity?

It is hard for me to believe that you know what real love is, when you use words like: feeble minded; immature; glaring theological errors; in the spirit you are immature; ridiculous and immature responses; slanderous; and finally, "You cannot handle criticism at any point that many have attempted to help you grow up and help you theologically." This is a boat load of assumptions on your behalf in an effort to describe someone you only know through cyber space. As I said before, you either have the gift of prophesy [which I'm sure you don't believe exists], or you think yo are at a "pay level" much higher than myself. I think it is the second of the two, and that equates to a "better than thou" attitude. And that surely isn't like Christ?

Personally, you have made a great number of assumptions about me, and you now what they've said about the word assume?

Temper, temper, temper! There are more Scriptures addressing how you have wronged me in this post, that I have time to list. I only pray that you are not so easilypushed to anger when members of your church and family challenge you for the things you say, while you struggle with the assumption that you are at a level far above those whom you rip apart in the public forum.

Me thinks you owe me an apology ]though I dobt I'll get it as a mere peon].

More than that, I think you need to get on your knees and do some serious soul earching and praying about that anger issue and the temper tantrums that result from having your authority as another mere human challenged.

....note to self, never, never, never cross paths with P4T.

Now, please accept from me my apologies for being the reason you stumbled in the face of your peers. I tried to keep it private, but, I guess my last PM was more than you could handle.

So, try to settle down there P4T. Take a few deep breathes, and get a good nights sleep. I'm sure you'll feel remorse for displaying your unrighteousness before all mankind!

And do get help with that temper. :thumbs:

However, don't assume that this makes us blood brothers, of even good friends. As I told you, I only know you through cyber space, and that makes it hard for me to take all the criticism and name-calling cast in my direction, seriously. I am sorry if it bothers you, or hurts your feelings that I refuse to take what you say to me seriously. BUT, I don't know you from Adam, and I don't blindly follow someone that sets them self up to be better than others, just based upon their own opinions of them self.

I'm sure you're a heck of a nice guy....but your temper tantrum today only serves to remind me that in cyber space, we don't really know the person at the end of the E-wave. Shalom, and my prayers that you regain some semblance of control :BangHead:

7. preacher4truth

You must first have integrity to shred. Start there.

#67 preacher4truth, Jun 3, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2013
  8. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You haven't read much then. You are willfully cutting youself off from some writings which could be spiritually profitable. A.W.Pink recommened the reading of Arminian works with discernment. A reader of Study in the Scriptures asked AWP what he thought of Alexander MacLaren and the former basically said he was useful. There is a kind of arrogance for a Calvinist to say he or she won't read any books on the other side. Have you ever read any of Tozer's books?

9. preacher4truth

Really? Perhaps more than you think. I like it when you start and end with straw man arguments as you've done here. Not to demean you, but you've simply misrepresented me.

Now, shall we engage in a one-up-man-ship on who reads more? :sleep:

Let me give you some examples of what I mean; Chuck Swindoll -- I don't get much out of him. Charles Stanley -- he's not bad, still don't get a lot out of him. Randy Alcorn -- not so much and I tried to enjoy his writing. Let me throw in John Piper -- I don't get much from him either. R. A. Torrey -- he's not bad, very practical. Charles Ryrie's Basic theology -- a decent foundation, not a lot of depth. Oddly I like Leonard Ravenhill -- a fireball for God. At the moment I cannot think of many other authors. I'd have to look through my library.

Furthermore, prior to coming to the understanding the DoG my previous readings were mainly all non-calvinists with a small mix of reformed authors.

Now I would be happy for you to suggest some good reads to me from non-Calvinist authors. I will read some of them, Lord willing.

There you go jumping to conclusions as if I simply don't read non-Calvinist authors. I read them, I don't find them as striking as I do other reformed authors.

He probably did recommend them -- however we are also aware of what he thought at the end of his life about those who weren't of his theology. Thus it goes both ways with him.

Straw man. I never made such a statement. You need to slow yourself down and actually ponder the exact words that were typed before you assume and add slander to the mix.

Show me a Calvinist who says he doesn't read books from the other side. I know it's not this Calvinist. Never did I speak those words, I simply stated how I feel about their writings comparatively. Again if you have good ones to suggest, go for it.

Yes. I have two books by Tozer waiting in line to be read. I've read some of his other works years back and he's a good writer.

- Blessings

#69 preacher4truth, Jun 3, 2013
  10. quantumfaith

Word of advice Righteousdude.....it is his "modus operandi" to take a private "squabble" public. I learned this very lesson a few years ago. Keep anything, any point of disagreement with PFT public, or He will make it so.

11. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Piper is not an Arminian.

Thanks for adding some clarity.

I got the impression since you said "I get little out of them" to mean that you disregard them. My mistake.

Care to share what you think he thought?

Glad to hear it.

12. preacher4truth

'Piper is not an Arminian'

-- which is why I said I will throw him in there (knowing he's a Calvinist).

13. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Think part of the problem is what defines "cal/arm" author, as chafer was a stauch 4 pointcalvinist, yet because he founded DTS and was stong Dispy, would be seen non cal by many!

His theology meaty and good to read, just digest the bones!

14. preacher4truth

Another good theologian I read was in Henry C. Thiessen's'Lectures in Systematic Theology'. This was our text in College, along with Ryrie's 'Basic Theology'.

Any reformed doctrine was avoided there at all costs. This prompted me to think about predestination, election, Sovereignty, and as to why these things were rarely spoken of. It was also said that most preachers skip Romans 9 in this camp. Thankfully a SS teacher brought my attention to the DoG.

- Blessings

#74 preacher4truth, Jun 3, 2013
  15. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just digest the bones? Really?

S. Lewis Johnson was a student of Chafer's. He loved and admired him. But Johnson critiqued the curious blend which was Chafer's theology. B.B. Warfield also gave a very compelling case regarding Chafer's confused theology.

16. preacher4truth

Come on now Rippon, you know a DoG is gonna digest them bones!!!

17. Bronconagurski

Bronconagurski New Member

I will list one of each since there are so many:

Best book: The Crises of the Christ by G. Campbell Morgan

Worst book: The Shack by Young

BTW, I threw The Shack in the trash after reading it.

18. DrJamesAch

DrJamesAch New Member

5 FAVORITE BESTIES

1. Romans
    2. Genesis
    3. John
    4. Psalms
    5. Revelation

5 WORST BOOKS

1. Biblical Exegesis by Preacher4Truth
    2. How To Skin A Jew by KYRedneck
    3. Sinless Saints by Rippon
    4. I Don't Need No Stinking Compass by Saturneptune
    5. Stop Calling Me Joshua by Yeshua1

19. preacher4truth

Interesting.

20. HungryInherit

HungryInherit New Member

I'll list my "best" and not worst because I generally stop reading when I don't like one.
    Mere Christianity - C.S.
    The Knowledge Of The Holy- Tozer
    The Hungry Inherit- Zane Hodges
    Absolutely Free- Zane Hodges