1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bethany Divinity College and Seminary

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Sportster, Jul 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rare is the ATS-only school. I think you could probably count them on one hand and have some fingers left.

2. PilgrimPastor

PilgrimPastor Member
    Site Supporter

Those are great points. It is important to give a lot of thought to what you want to do with your degree; you may end up in a position of having worked really hard and not having what you need to accomplish your goals / calling.

3. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I rest my case. If you missed this, please, reread. :thumbs:

4. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I sure hope that Mr. Clifton doesn't think that a PhD from Bethany is comparable to a PhD from SBTS.

5. PilgrimPastor

PilgrimPastor Member
    Site Supporter

Comments like this are difficult for me to digest. What seems to be implied, as a degree does not stand alone but is held by an individual, is that a person with a Ph.D. from Bethany does not compare with a person with a Ph.D. from SBTS...

6. Brandon C. Jones

Brandon C. Jones New Member

Hello Pilgrim,

Let me welcome you here. You will find that there are quite a few regulars in this section of the board who have encountered the topic of the accreditation numerous times over the years (I'm not among them just to let you know because I am just a student). Many are involved or have been involved in schools and have helpful advice and thoughts.

I have lurked on this thread, and I will give my brief opinion. Why do schools like Bethany insist on offering degrees like a Ph.D. without seeking the proper accreditation for them? One's Ph.D. from Bethany would most likely not allow her to hold a faculty position almost anywhere.

If the education they offer is for ministers whose credentials to preach do not really depend on formal education, then why not be an institute and issue certificates for completing courses instead of granting degrees with a mixture of coursework and "life experience?" The result is that someone earns a degree based on different standards than most everyone else. The justification for this that the unaccredited degree is fine and its the standards that are questionable just sounds like special pleading. There is also the argument that the accrediting agencies and their standards are not befitting a school that is faithful to Scripture, but this just doesn't fit reality. I know there are exceptions like BJU, but they just prove the rule in my opinion.

I encourage those in the ministry to carry on their education whether it be through an old-fashioned D.Min, a distance ed. Master's program, an online institute like the theology program or something like that, or even self-study with no formal body involved. But when people choose to use these unaccredited or defeciently accredited places (especially ones that involve "life experience") that offer degrees, I wonder at the motivation. Is the goal knowledge or initials at the end of one's name? I'm not indicting people here or anywhere, but I do wonder about this.

#146 Brandon C. Jones, Feb 27, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2008
  7. Jimmy Clifton

Jimmy Clifton New Member

Thank you for a reasonable, objective post.

8. Jimmy Clifton

Jimmy Clifton New Member

Thank you.

9. Jimmy Clifton

Jimmy Clifton New Member

Nor do I think a SBTS PhD is comparable to a Harvard or Yale or Princeton PhD.

10. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Welcome to BB, PilgrimPastor,

Please reread my post.

I'm in no way referring to a person.

My post is only difficult for you to digest because you assumed to worst of it.

In the future, it would be a good idea to ask for clarification.

God bless.

11. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I'll let you figure that one out. :thumbs:

12. Jimmy Clifton

Jimmy Clifton New Member

Oh, that's okay, I have more important things in life to do than play "My daddy can beat up your daddy".

Your degrees work for you and mine work for me, my brother. ;)

13. PilgrimPastor

PilgrimPastor Member
    Site Supporter

I'm not trying to mis-characterize you at all! I was just thinking out loud and referring more to a way of thinking not necessarily your intentions to slander an individual. This is unfortunately one of many conversations I have had on this subject and it always seems that those with the "higher degrees" (I guess could be me with my degrees from Liberty... hmmm...) condesend to folks with "lesser"degrees. I'm speaking more to a spirit of scholastic pride that is I think pervasive in many corners of the church. Thanks!

:wavey:

#153 PilgrimPastor, Feb 27, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2008
  14. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "condesend to folks with "lesser"degrees. I'm speaking more to a spirit of scholastic pride that is I think pervasive in many corners of the church."

Sadly I think this is quite true, however I've seen the other side - those with little education or three year diplomas that look up their noses at those with degrees :laugh:

If God is leading His called ones to His preparation who is to stick a nose into His business - of course I know some that suggest that God would never lead anyone to a degree that was not top notch :thumbs:

Kind of wonder if the Lord doesn't feel like :BangHead: at the way we humans operate.

15. hawg_427

hawg_427 Member

I will ask my friends. Everyone around here seems to go to the Graceville Baptist College in Graceville,Fl. which is approx. 25 min South of Dothan,Al. I will post answers ASAP.

16. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

PilgrimPastor, I have pastor friends who have degrees from UA schools, and do I look at them in a condescending way? Absolutely not!

It is called putting things into proper perspective.

Guys on this Board with accredited doctorates teach at one UA school that I'm aware of.

If you do not see this as putting things into proper perspective, then I don't know what else to say.

17. Jimmy Clifton

Jimmy Clifton New Member

Never heard of Graceville Baptist College but have heard of the Baptist College of Florida in Graceville.

18. PilgrimPastor

PilgrimPastor Member
    Site Supporter

I think we agree and are talking around one another in many ways. :BangHead: (I wish I had one of those emoticons for the pulpit somehow!) there has been enough said on this subject as far as I am concerned. I look forward to seeing you around the board more :)

19. hawg_427

hawg_427 Member

Hi Sporster,

I checked with my friend and he has never heard of the school. I would go with the likes of Liberty or a big name school like that. My Pastor is doing distance learning from Liberty. Another Brother I know is going to the Bible College in Graceville,Fl. It is the best one around here.

In Christ,
    Hawg427

20. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

From a Biblical viewpoint, the SBTS Ph.D. is probably superior. What do you think?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.