Bethuel - Parent of Rebekah

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by drfuss, May 11, 2009.

1. drfuss

drfuss
    Expand Collapse

Gen. 24:23,24
    23 And said, Whose daughter art thou? tell me, I pray thee: is there room in thy father's house for us to lodge in? 24 And she said unto him, I am the daughter of Bethuel the son of Milcah, which she bare unto Nahor.

Gen. 25: 19,20
    19 And these are the generations of Isaac, Abraham's son: Abraham begat Isaac: 20 And Isaac was forty years old when he took Rebekah to wife, the daughter of Bethuel the Syrian of Padanaram, the sister to Laban the Syrian.

In Gen. 24: 23,24, Bethuel is said to be the son of Milcah,
    In Gen. 25: 19,20, Bethuel is said to be the sister on Laban.

Is Bethuel a man or a woman?

2. Amy.G

Amy.G
    Expand Collapse

Rebekah was the daughter of Bethuel and the sister of Laban.

Gen 24:29 And Rebekah had a brother, and his name [was] Laban: and Laban ran out unto the man, unto the well.

Bethuel was a man.

3. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O.
    Expand Collapse

19 And these are the generations of Isaac, Abraham's son: Abraham begat Isaac: 20 And Isaac was forty years old when he took Rebekah to wife, [the daughter of Bethuel the Syrian of Padanaram], [the sister to Laban the Syrian].

Both of those appositive phrases describe Rebekah.

4. drfuss

drfuss
    Expand Collapse

drfuss: Thank you. I believe your are right. However it would be clearer if "and" was used instead of a ",". The way it is written, it could be interpreted either way.

It would be clearer if it read as follows:
    19 "And these are the generations of Isaac, Abraham's son: Abraham begat Isaac: 20 And Isaac was forty years old when he took Rebekah to wife, the daughter of Bethuel the Syrian of Padanaram and the sister to Laban the Syrian."