1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Better Shot at Hall for "Clean" Players

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Nicholas25, Dec 20, 2007.

1. Nicholas25

Nicholas25 New Member

Will former players/players such as Dale Murphy and Chipper Jones (his stats might warrant it regardless), now have a greater chance of making it into the Baseball Hall of Fame since they are perceived to be "clean" players? Will they be held in higher regard now?

Sad to see Andy Pettite and Brian Roberts named. Professing Christian players such as these were weak in the flesh and worried more about performance/money than their testimony.

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I'm not sure that's entirely true. Pettite stated he took HGH so he could heal quicker from an injury, not gain any competetive edge. I personally have no problem with that if it is done under Dr. supervision. It's not like he was trying to throw an extra 5 mph or anything. If anything, his competetive desire and wanting to get back for his teamates is admirable. It also was not illegal (steroids are).

3. Nicholas25

Nicholas25 New Member

Maybe I am judging, but I have a hard time believing him. Pettite and others are acting like they took these substances only once or twice and said "this is wrong I am never going to do this again." I hope that is the case, but I would love for one of these guys to come out and say "I juiced and used HGH for years because I wanted to become a better player, help my teams win more games, and make more money."

Pettite had denied doing anything in the past, which was obviously a lie, so it is hard to believe him now. Same goes for Brian Roberts.

4. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

I don't think the steroids issue will help the supposed 'clean' players. Maybe a little, but not much. The Hall ballot is fill in the blank - writers are not forced to select any players. Whereas before they may have selected "Roger Clemens", after learning of his steroids use, they now will just leave it blank. If they weren't predisposed to also write in "Dale Murphy" before, I don't see how that will change now.

5. RockRambler

RockRambler New Member

He would have more credibility IMO if he had talked to the Sen. Mitchell when he had the chance BEFORE the report came out. Now, it just looks like he's trying to cover his tracks. Steroids and HGH may be legal, if prescribed by a doctor, but having HGH injected by personal trainer is not the same thing as having it done by a licensed physician. Nor is buying it over the internet.

6. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not sure there are any clean players... just those who haven't gotten caught because they did business with Balco or a club house attendant...

Sosa wasn't named... McGuire wasn't named in the mitchell report. Of course, if you believe the Mitchell Report you also believe that the Red Sox haven't had a player do anything since Mo Vaughn. :laugh:

7. RockRambler

RockRambler New Member

Wasn't Mo Vaughn supposed to be with the Mets when he did it???? :laugh:

Think it comes back to what I was saying months ago when Bonds was breaking the all-time home run record...this will be known as the Steroid era,
    nothing more/nothing less. There may not be anyone playing today who won't be tarnish with that brush, no matter when they break a record

8. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I agree. You have to remember that, on balance, the writers are going to vote for who they are going to vote for and they will not vote for those they have decided not to vote for, regardless of worthiness/statistics/reputation. I do believe that the allegations swirling around Big Mac kept him out. He may be helped by not being named in the Mitchell report. But let's remember something here that has been alluded to earlier: The Mitchell report is like the Dowd report was on Pete Rose: it is opinion based on testimony. In legal parlance, Mitchell's report is equivalent to charges being filed. That doesn't make them true, it just makes them appear. Nothing has been adjudicated. There is no "smoking gun," per se.

As for Nicholas's original point: Murph is just as qualified for the Hall today as he was the day before the Mitchell report. And Chipper is just as unworthy :)