1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Beware these movements in the church

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Marcia, Jan 21, 2009.

1. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

No, I don't think so. I don't think they believe they will bring about the Kingdom in order for Jesus to come back.

2. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

That's what happened with my friends. They knew something was wrong but it was hard to pin it down. In one case, it was something a SS teacher taught that my friend knew was from NAR/Kingdom Now teaching. She brought it up to elders and the pastor and they did nothing. So they let the teacher go on and did not stop it. Eventually, more of this kind of teaching got in, and my friend finally left.

In another church, one of the leaders came back from visiting an NAR church, though my friends were unaware of what this was. They noticed the difference and strange teachings and researched, and discovered the source. But the pastor was going along with it, so after a time of trying to correct things, they left.

3. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

No loonies in the Orthodox Church? :tongue3:

I don't think you can blame Protestantism. False teachings, cults, and cultic teachings have been around since the early church.

4. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

How ironic.
    The Orthodox Church is NOT "orthodox."

5. InChrist

InChrist New Member

Well Kingdom Now means literally that they believe we are in the Kingdom now. They do not believe in the literal rule and reign of Christ on earth (neither do Amil or Post-Mil adherants from what I understand). They don't believe that the world is going to get worse before it gets better. They believe that we advance the Kingdom of God through "Christianizing" the world by the spreading of the Gospel. However, the gospel that they spread is not 1. Jesus died, 2. Jesus was buried, 3. Jesus rose again (in the flesh) on the third day and 4. He's coming again (in the flesh).

While they may teach that salvation is through Jesus Christ, their gospel is social (a generalisation here, as there are weaker and stronger views on this depending on the Church). It is about bettering the planet earth. It is about equality for all. And unity with all faiths (which can only happen through watering down the true gospel). They believe that we are the King's children, part of the Kingdom, and therefore are entitled to prosperity, wealth, health, authority and devine blessing. As children of the King we should be infiltrating all arenas of life; political, religious, educational, environmental, medical, entertainment etc.

Kingdom Now doctrine has no place for Israel's future as part of God's economy. They place Israel and the Church into one group. Amil and Post-Mil also do this.

Kingdom Now doctrine also places high importance on visions, dreams, manifestations of the Spirit, miracles, signs and wonders due to the fact that they mistakenly take Scriptures meant for Israel's future during the Tribulation and in Jesus Christ's earthly Kingdom and apply them to the Church.

Kingdom Now doctrine holds that Jesus Christ will come back AFTER the millennium and the end of the age.

These are just some similarities that I see between Kingdom Now theology and the Amil / Post-Mil stances

6. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I say beware of those who love to make these kind of lists.

7. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Short answer: No. Most of Christendom falls within an Amil view.

8. InChrist

InChrist New Member

Actually you are right. That is the better way to phrase it. Thank you.

9. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Really? Why? We are supposed to expose false teachings.

10. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Okay, thanks.

Do Amils agree with this assessment?

11. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

That doesn't make it right, however.

Also, didn't the Reformers carry on the amil view from the Roman Catholic church?

12. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

How come no baptist on the list?

Btw, What do you call false teachings?

13. InChrist

InChrist New Member

There are not too many baptists (yet) who are leading proponents of these doctrines as it has come through the Charismatic doors. However, there are many baptist churches falling into line with their teachings (at least they are here in Australia) mainly because of their stance concerning the Rapture, the Tribulation, the Millennial Kingdom and the future reign of Christ. As far as I understand it (and I'm happy to be corrected), if you are of an Amil or Post-Mil persuasion then you are more inclined to fall into this line of thinking.

Kingdom Now is now one of the most powerful and influential movements in the Church today, but this does not make it right. History shows that true biblical Christianity has always been the minority religion, so popularity does not equate truth.

14. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

So what is false about being charismatic?

What is false about being Amil or Postmil?

15. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

What do you mean why no baptist? Aren't you a baptist? You're posting in the Baptist forums.

This is a list of some movements in the church with false teachings. Did you look at it and read some of what they teach? Did you read my post on page one that delineates some of these teachings?

If I say that my revelation from God supersedes the Bible or that God can't act unless I pray, would you call that a false teaching? I would. That's what some in one of those movements teach.

You don't think Word Faith is false teaching? If not, let me know and I can give you some examples. Wait, here's a couple of theirs: Jesus had to go to hell and fight Satan to pay for sins. God has a body. We are little gods.

False enough for you?

16. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

The list has nothing on it about charismatic or amil/postmil views.

Please look at the OP before you start attacking something you clearly have not read.

17. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I'm a Southern Baptist ordained Pastor.

I'm not one to point fingers.

Baptists have no copyright on truth and salvation.

Btw, there are all stripes of baptists out there.

Some baptists think baptists who are calvinists are false teachers.

18. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

:eek:

I thank God for people like Marcia who are the watchmen (or women :)) on the wall.

False teachings seem to be growing like a cancer these days.

Jud 1:3 Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort [you] that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints.

19. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I was asking InChrist a few questions based on his post.

20. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

The finer points of theoloy, I say.