1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Beyond Five Points

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by KenH, Aug 5, 2002.

1. ScottEmerson

ScottEmerson Active Member

1 Samuel 11:6
    When Saul heard their words, the Spirit of God came upon him in power, and he burned with anger.

1 Samuel 16:14
    Now the Spirit of the Lord had departed from Saul, and sent an evil spirit from the Lord to torment him.

So it came upon him in power, and then it departed. How can you NOT believe that the Spirit of God dwelled within him? I think it is a matter of your own presuppositions to so blatantly disagree with the passages!

2. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

Scott, I don't think you understand what Pastor Larry was saying. The Holy Spirit came upone certain individuals for different purposes. He came upon kings, judges, prophets, etc.

Jesus said in John 14 that the Holy Spirit would be in them. He was clearly speaking of a future event. We know the event to be Pentecost.

3. ScottEmerson

ScottEmerson Active Member

Larry also said that he believed the Holy Spirit indwelled in people in the OT. Why he doesn't attribute Saul to being filled by the Spirit it a matter of theology trumping what the Bible says.

4. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

Indwell yes. It was not a permanent indwelling though. That is why David prayed what he did.

5. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Becuase I know what I am saying and I know that you do not know what I am saying. The Spirit never indwelt Saul so far as I can see. There is in the OT a theocratic anointing for leadership. It first came on Moses, then the 70, then Joshua, then the Judges, then Saul, then the Davidic king, and finally Christ. That is why David prayed for God not to take it from him. He had seen it happen to Saul because of his sin and did not want it to happen to him. It is something entirely different than the indwelling.

For the record, I do believe that OT saints were permanently indwelt. Because of the nature of depravity and sin, there is no other way to account for righteous living. The NT teaches that pleasing God is impossible without the Spirit. The nature of man in the NT is the same as the OT; therefore, it is impossible to please God with the Spirit in the OT and in the NT. There are a number of different perspectives on this and it makes for an interesting discussion for those who have studied it.