1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bible Believers

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Seeker Of Truth, Apr 2, 2005.

1. Seeker Of Truth

Seeker Of Truth New Member

Is the Bible Beleiver's commentary a baptist commentary. The commentator is William Macdonald.

I'm looking for a good one volume verse by verse commentary. Anyone owes this commentary?

How would you rank these commentaries:

1. McGee commentary
    2. John McArthur
    4. Bible Believer's
    5. John Gill
    6. Farsautt and Brown
    7. Walvoord and Roy Zuck
    8. Chuck Smith
    9. Matthew Henry
    10. King James Bible Commentary (Nelson)

2. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

1. John MacArthur
    2. John Gill
    3. Matthew Henry
    4. Walvoord and Zuck

In my mind these are a cut above the rest in your list...the rest are about even, and could be ranked in whatever order.

3. Dr.Tim

Dr.Tim New Member

I'd say McGee is the best for practical reasons.
    Walvoord and Zuck.. are closer to what i believe than MacArthur and I would put those three up front.

4. jim62

jim62 New Member

Spurgeon's

5. WallyGator

WallyGator New Member

MacArthur
    Gill
    Walvoord and Zuck
    Ditto, McGee for practical comparison

6. Victoria

Victoria New Member

I would ditto this. I have too many problems with MacArthur to use his commentary.

7. Dannyboy

Dannyboy New Member

I really like Warren Weirsbe's 'Thru the Word' it is also Nelson's chapter by chapter bible commentary. Weirsbe, if I'm not mistaken uses NKJV too. I am straight KJV, but his stuff is straight and sound. I would recommend it even for read along...as you do regular reading apart from studying his comments help to point out other things.

8. Dr.Tim

Dr.Tim New Member

Well people try to take the good things about writers and leave the bad things out. That's fine.. but when I am reading Pink, I know where he is going when we hit Revelation.. I know where MacArthur is going when we hit the Pauline writings,etc.
    I'd read MacArthur's thoughts on the Old Testament. Ithink he confuses Discipleship with salvation sometimes. He does present himself very well..very organized. The other one.. whats the mans name from Trinity Divinity school?? Gruden?
    Wrote about Prophecy and I think Biblical Manhood and Womanhood. Yeah, i disagree with the man, but for someone to take all that information and lay it out so cleanly... he got it going better than I ever will.

tim

9. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    MacArthur would be #1 as both deep and practical.

Then the Dallas Seminary types for solid exposition.

The McGee or Wiersbe are going to be good for laypeople with general "easy" stuff, but nowhere near the depth of Mac or Walvoord or such.

10. Dr.Tim

Dr.Tim New Member

Yeah McGee is more practical and for the lay person. Sometimes the stuff he says can be used for illustration and so forth.
    I have Wiersbe too and he is pretty much the same as McGee. The Dallas folks used to print the Bib-Sac reader and i dont know if they still do.. always good reading.

11. Servent

Servent Member

You should check out www.e-sword.org you can download some of these commemtaries for free I know you can get Gill, Henry, Barns , Clark,and others,They also have diffrent bible versions as well it's a very good site.

12. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

[​IMG]

13. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

BTW, I do glean from MacDonald as well. His series on the NT church is excellent.