1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Biblically, can women be deacons?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Earth Wind and Fire, Mar 4, 2012.

1. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Now, this is sound doctrine if you ask me.....:thumbs:

j/k....:laugh:

2. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Unfortunately, it is to many on here. In fact, they probably secretly lament that these are not listed in the NT as spiritual gifts confined to women in order to serve men.

3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Amen. :)

But I would add that I've noticed the title being used for different kinds of positions and in particular churches, they were far from leadership and teaching roles and in those cases I felt women deacons were ok. They specifically would do things like get together and cook once a week for those in the church in need and would arrange for those who needed physical help around the house to get it from those in the church who could help. It was very different than our own deacons in my church who are all men because of the job that is done.

4. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

I think it could be argued that the women who attended to Jesus were acting the role of deaconeses albeit they were never "ordained" but rarely do we see what equates to modern "ordination" in Scripture anyway, that being rather a later development.

They "served" the Church (Christ, "I will build MY Church) in its pre-existent state and Jesus had no qualms over their service. He did not stipulate that only men perform this high service, though at times it was seen that men only did the serving (serving of the Passover, for instance). In many other cases, the women did a lot of the work and participated in the sitting at the feet of the Master, and of course, the incidents at the tomb on that first Resurrection Sunday.

That being said, I stand my my earlier point that IT DEPENDS on the particular role of deacons in any given local body. If they are servants and family ministers then there is room for women deaconesses (or wives of male deacons) to fulfill a distinct role in keeping with the commands for older women to instruct the younger, etc., but if they are seen as a board that rules the congregation, then the men are acting the role of elders and as such women would not qualify biblically.

5. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But of course, neither women NOR men "qualify biblically" to set themselves up as "a board that rules the congregation".

6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Phoebe was a servant (diakonos). Like most words in the original languages, a word could hold to a number of meanings. A leader must be a servant, a servant is not necessarily a leader.

Like elders, Scripture is clear that deacons MUST be the husband of one wife. This is not debatable no matter how many liberal baptists say it is.

7. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Exactly. That's why I said to define the role and then I can answer the question. :)

8. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

:thumbsup: The elderly women have roles of service in the ministry of hospitality in the congregation (1 Tim. 5:9-10) as well as roles of leadership in the congregation among the younger women and children (Tit. 2). Phobe obviously could travel which means she was most likely one of those qualified widows in 1 Timothy 5:9-10. Paul interceded in her behalf rather than her making any claim as an ordained leader among the churches.

However, to pit such servant roles (1 Tim. 5:9-10) and leadership rolse (Tit. 2) established by Paul in the very same epistle against the prohibition of leadershp over men (1 Tim. 2:10-11) demonstrates the complete irrational mindset of the liberals.

9. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

True... Yet, in SO many congregations they do just that, which is why I am including that example.

As long as the churches are already not biblical in their practice, why all the fuss about women, which actually stands more of a chance of being biblical than the fact that many deacon boards RULE their churches?

10. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

yes, bible stated Phoebe was to called a Deaconess, but as you stated here quite well...

Think that the meaning vested into that term inn bible days different then the ones invested by those whose desire is to get women placed in leadership and ministry positions!

11. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Likewise if you've adopted one of these elders- or pastor-centric authoritarian governance schemes rather than biblical congregationalism, those positions in your church are a far cry from what is in the Bible.

12. DiamondLady

DiamondLady New Member

I think one must also remember that when Paul said, "husband of one wife" men in Bible times often had more than one wife. Women NEVER had more than one husband. Men practiced polygamy. Women did not.

It's very clear that women were deaconesses, Paul wrote of Phoebe. In the clear Biblical example of servitude women can absolutely serve as deaconesses.

There is nothing wrong, also, with women in ministry positions. I sincerely hope ALL women are in ministry positions. Not PREACHERS but definitely ministering to those who are in need, to other women, to children and yes EVEN TO MEN. How about that ladies circle who takes meals in to widower men who have been hospitalized? That's a ministry. Those ladies who take care of the baptistry robes/towels, etc. That's a ministry.

We need to learn to discern the difference between ministering and pastoring.

13. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

I'm not sure that you can demonstrate conclusively that the only biblical model of church polity is congregationalism. I believe that is an assumption not a mandate. In fact, I see a lot of "appointing" of leaders, not "electing or calling" as is the practice of many, if not most, Baptists these days. I also see a plurality of elders presented very clearly in Scripture.

So, how do you reconcile all of that?

14. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

I often wonder why we can commission women missionaries, and some of the most famous ones have annual offerings named after them...

Annie Armstrong
    Lottie Moon
    Amy Carmichael
    Mary Slessor
    Elizabeth Elliot
    Anna (Seward) Pruitt
    Mother Theresa (a somewhat different category, yet a woman missionary)

And a host of others, famous and not so famous.