1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Black, White, and Grey

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by TheOliveBranch, Oct 23, 2003.

1. TheOliveBranch

TheOliveBranch New Member

If we are to be as white as snow, then anything less than snow white is...?
    Makes you wonder why we started saying anything about black in reference to sin, since sin is scarlet in the Bible, making grey pink? :rolleyes:

Is there any grey areas in the Bible? Or is God always black and white?

2. timothy 1769

timothy 1769 New Member

Some things appear to be categorically condmned, but then are shown in a positive light in some cases. Lying, for example.

Somtimes we have cases where 80% of scripture on a topic seems to saying one thing, but 20% something else. Sometimes these things even appear to be contradictory. How do we respond? Examples IMO include sovereign grace vs. choice and assurance.

Personally, I accept contradictory statements in divine revelation, and just acknowledge it as a limitation in my own abilities. IMO thowing out the statements that don't fit isn't an option. I think it's funny that there probably isn't a fundamental baptist church in the world that would accept Jesus as a pastor since He apparently was foolish enough to have said "He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved". Just kidding there, but I hope you see my point.

Obviously God meant for it all to be this way, but I'm not sure what it all means.

3. TheOliveBranch

But is there actually a case in which there is contradiction? Take the case of lying. I assume you are referring to Rahab and the spies? She lied, but did she really need to lie? God had a purpose for them, so would He have allowed them to be killed if this purpose was not yet fulfilled? I believe that God would have intervened. Her lie had no excuse.

Gotta go

4. timothy 1769

timothy 1769 New Member

Egyptian midwives. Also,

1Samuel 16:2
    And Samuel said, How can I go? if Saul hear it, he will kill me. And the LORD said, Take an heifer with thee, and say, I am come to sacrifice to the LORD.

Looks like God commanding deception, so that a man would not be wrongfully murdered.

And,

1Kings 22:22
    And the LORD said unto him, Wherewith? And he said, I will go forth, and I will be a lying spirit in the mouth of all his prophets. And he said, Thou shalt persuade him, and prevail also: go forth, and do so. 23 Now therefore, behold, the LORD hath put a lying spirit in the mouth of all these thy prophets, and the LORD hath spoken evil concerning thee.

5. timothy 1769

timothy 1769 New Member

BTW, I don't think there are any contradictions in the Bible, God's perfect revelation to man. There may be apparent contradictions because I'm woefully stupid compared to God, but that's really my problem, not God's.

6. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

The only gray area that the Bible ever speaks of is all in our heads. [​IMG] Get it...in our heads. Look it up, every mention of gray is talking about gray hairs.

God has no problem with color vision. I, on the other hand, am quite often wrong about what color something is. There are no gray areas, just my poor ability to discern.

7. TheOliveBranch

timothy,

Sorry for my slow mind. Are you saying that there is grey? Or, just pointing out that what could appear as grey? :confused:

8. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sin in the Bible is red/crimson/scarlet. Never black. That it has been linked to black is part of racism that has permeated even our churches.

And there HAVE been gray areas - not white or black - in human conduct throughout the Bible. Because we ARE human and because the Bible is an accurate recorder of humanity.

9. timothy 1769

timothy 1769 New Member

Olive,

For each individual I don't think there are any grey areas. Every thought/action will be judged.

10. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

This seems to be a drastic overstatement. I have always understood black to be a reference because 1) Scripture refers to the world of sin and Satan as "darkness," and 2) black is generally considered the opposite of white or light. Since righteousness and sin are opposites, so white and black, light and darkness, are opposites.

With all due respect to my friend Bob, I think trying to attach this to racism goes way beyond the pale. It seems like an attempt to politically correct when no such thing is needed.

11. Nomad

Nomad New Member

Life is full of grey areas in the sense that many of the things we do daily are not inherently moral or immoral. Attitude plays a big part here. Going to church could be sinful if my frame of mind is not worshipful, while going on a hike in the mountains could be an act of righteousness if I spend it as a time of communion with God. Although there are certainly things that are always evil, there are also many morally neutral acts that become sinful only if our hearts are wrong.

12. TheOliveBranch

Nomad,

I'm not sure I see the grey in your examples. To go to church with the wrong attitude is sin. To go with the right attitude is not sin. To hike and have communion with God is right, to hike and curse God is sin. I know of no morally neutral act, it's either right or wrong. But as for God, does He ever have occurance to do grey? timothy gave a few instances of lying. Two I believe could have avoided lying. I'm still looking into the third. Biblically based grey areas is what I'm wondering about. People like to create grey areas to give themselves permission to sin.