1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BLASPHEMY OF THE HOLY GHOST What do you say that it is??

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by tamborine lady, Feb 25, 2004.

1. tamborine lady

tamborine lady Active Member

[​IMG]

I know this has probably been discussed before on this board, but I couldn't find a thread for this topic, so I'm putting the question to you.

Here's the scripture that got me thinking:

Mark 3-28 Verily I say unto you, All sins shall be forgiven unto the sons of men, and blasphemies wherewith soever they shall blaspheme:
    29 But he that shall blaspheme against the Holy Ghost hath never forgiveness, but is in danger of eternal damnation:
    30 Because they said, He hath an unclean spirit.

If you go back and read from verse 22 thru 30, you will see that they are saying that Jesus has a devil, and He answers back with, "how can satan cast out satan A kingdom divided against itself cannot stand"

Then in verse 30 He gives the reason that blasphemy will not be forgiven. they said Jesus had an unclean spirit!!

He was the Son of God and they said He had an unclean spirit!

So if we see someone operating in something we don't like or agree with, and we say that it is the wrong spirit, not the spirit of God, are we blaspheming?? Because we are just humans after all, and could be reading it wrong.

I would be very interested in hearing differant points of view as to what it is.

Working for Him,

Tam,

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Singer

Singer New Member

Tam,

As we know, blasphemy against the Holy Ghost is unpardonable and I've asked the same question as you have.

One whose fellowship that I respect has offered me this via email and I share it with you in good faith. These are not my words but they served me well as I hope you realize also.

The context of Matt 12:31 and also Mark 3:29 suggests that the "unpardonable sin" was
    attributing to Satan....Christ's authenticating miracles done in the power of the Holy Spirit. The Pharisees slandered the Holy Spirit by knowledgeably atrributing His work to the Devil, thus committing the "unpardonable sin". Their sin was not an act of impulse or ignorance, but the result of a continued and willful rejection of the truth concerning Jesus. It was a sin against spiritual knowledge, for they had ample
    evidence of the truth from the words and deeds of Jesus. In deliberately choosing to insult the Spirit, they forfeited His ministry in their lives.

My other study Bible says this: The unpardonable sin is the deliberate refusal to acknowledge God's power in Christ. It indicates a deliberate and irreversible hardness of heart.
    Christians sometimes wonder if they have committed this sin of blasphemy against the Holy Spirit. Christians need not worry about this sin because this sin is attributing to the devil what is the work of the Holy Spirit. It reveals a
    heart-attitude of unbelief and unrepentance. Deliberate, ongoing rejection of the work of the Holy Spirit is blasphemy because it is rejecting God himself. The religious leaders accused Jesus of blasphemy, but ironically they were the guilty ones when they looked Jesus in the face and accused him of being possessed by Satan.
    Only those who have turned their backs on God and rejected all faith have any need to worry. Jesus said they can't be forgiven - NOT BECAUSE THEIR SIN IS WORSE THAN ANY OTHER, BUT BECAUSE THEY WILL NEVER ASK FOR FORGIVENESS. Whoever rejects the prompting of the Holy Spirit removes himself or herself from the only force that can lead him or her to repentance and restoration to God.

Singer

3. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Tam, I don't think that the unforgiveable sin is "saying" that Jesus has a devil, but "believing" that Jesus had a devil.

But, the Bible elsewhere makes it clear numerous times that all our sins are forgiven. So is the unforgiveable sin unforgiveable for all perpetuity? I don't think so.

Let me explain: I'm a Christian, and during a football game, I don't like the umpire's call, and use an epithet that takes the Lord's name in vain. I then proceed to leave the house to check me mail. While outside, I get struck by a car. Since I have not repented of my earlier sin, am I hellbound? No. I'd venture to say that all Christians have at any time, at least a few sins unrepented of, but they don't prevent us from entering the kingdom. My take on the unforgiveable sin is that it is the one sin we MUST repent of in order to enter the Kingdom.

Did my babbling make any sense?

4. Hamtramck_Mike

Hamtramck_Mike New Member

I was always told that the unpardonable sin was saying that either Jesus Christ or the Holy Spirit is indeed Satan himself or saying that Satan is God! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. atestring

atestring New Member

I personally see the context of the scripture that deals with blaspheming the Holy Spirit as taking that works of Jesus that are done by the Power that Raised Jesus from the dead and attributing these works of the Holy Spirit to Satan.

Paul said that he was a blasphemer but did it ignorantly. I believe that people blaspheme ignorantly today.

6. Chrift

Chrift New Member

"Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit" is unforgivable, not because it is too big of a sin for Christ's death to cover, but because a person who commits it rejects the Holy Spirit's work to create Faith in their hearts. Faith is how we recieve God's forgiveness and the only way we gain Faith is by the Spirit. Anyone who commits this sin rejects the only way we have of gaining forviveness.

The Holy Spirit was worked through Jesus' words and actions to convince people that Jesus was the Messiah. The Pharisees (for example) were rejecting the work of the Holy Spirit who was convincing them or had convinced them of the divine truth about Jesus.

Blessings.

7. vaspers

vaspers New Member

I agree that the verses spell out very clearly and exactly what this unforgivable sin is:

attributing the power of the Holy Spirit to the working of the devil or unclean spirits.

Be VERY careful about claiming this sin can't be committed today...or adding things to the verses themselves like "it's about rejecting Jesus as Savior" or "it's about refusing to get born again, resisting the Holy Spirit" etc. It is not about failing to accept Christ, it is attributing (etc.)

This is why I never say speaking in tongues, or slaying in the spirit, or many other "spiritual manifestations" are satanic, even when I wonder what the heck is going on.

I may prefer to not engage in some stuff, "barking in the spirit" or "vomiting up the devil" (Vineyard type stuff), but I never say "satanic" unless it is clearly witchcraft, demonology, sorcery, psychics, Harry Potter, other stuff that I can quote scripture on saying it is satanic in origin and intent.

8. SpiritualMadMan

SpiritualMadMan New Member

I agree with Vaspers...

And, would like to add that I believe it must be knowingly and intentionally done.

I do not believe it can be done accidentally.

Compare Hebrews 6:4-6
    Kinda makes being a Pentecostal a dangerous thing? [​IMG]

9. Me2

Me2 New Member

blasphemy of the holy spirit is refusing to accept the teaching of the holy spirit as the truth of God to mankind.
    instead mankind changes these truths into lies based on what mankind wants the truth to be.

Rom 1:28 And even as they did not like to retain God in [their] knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;

Rom 1:18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness;
    Rom 1:19 Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed [it] unto them.

Rom 1:21 Because that, when they knew God, they glorified [him] not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.
    Rom 1:22 Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,

Rom 1:25 Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen.

blasphemy is the unrestrained outward carnal expression not based on the truth once received of ones called of God.
    they once received Gods truth, yet when tested of faith, they refused the understanding of God because they changed Gods truths into their own understandings making Gods truths void in their carnal thinking.

blasphemy of the holy spirit is forgivable. as all sins are forgivable.
    although not in this age or the next age to come.

Mat 12:32 And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the [world] to come.

these are held in the spiritual reprobate condition to serve Gods purposes in this age (world) and the next age (world) to come.

these are those today who DO NOT accept Jesus as Lord. Who refuse the knowledge of God that the spirit of Christ is within them. These are those who judge others without any realization of the mercy of God as they themselves have received freely. these are those who are in the world of Christiandom who teach and preach falsehoods concerning their misunderstandings of God

If we were to read romans 9-11. we find vessels of wrath prepared by God. these are those who have not accepted the truth of God and changed it into a lie. (A truth of Satan.) within the gentile nations called out of God. we are producing millions of followers today who blaspheme God continually.

Just as God planned. they refuse the truth by changing it into a lie. they are prepared to do just that.

vessels of wrath in romans 9 is described as those living under the law without the recognition of the
    receiving of Gods spirit necessary to regenerate them.
    this can be carried into the gentile age also . we have those today who live under their own laws, yet deny the witness from within them of the spirit of Christ. they have changed the truths given to them of the Holy Spirit and changed those truths into lies that their carnal minds can accept.

and as God guarantees..We read in Romans 11:32

Rom 11:31 Even so have these also now not believed, that through your mercy they also may obtain mercy.
    Rom 11:32 For God hath concluded them all in unbelief, that he might have mercy upon all.

they are to be restored (forgiven) in the ages to come. not in the next, but in the following age therafter. yet they are to serve as a crucial function in their reprobate state in Gods methodology of Saving others.

10. MennoMan

MennoMan New Member

Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit! Easy, I can do this with both eyes closed and my hands tied behind my back! Except I can't type that way....Oh well :D

Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is attributing the works of the Holy Spirit to Satan.

11. atestring

atestring New Member

Kinda makes being a Pentecostal a dangerous thing? [​IMG] </font>[/QUOTE]d
    bump

12. Conservative Christian

christiananswers.net

""I would like to just know if what it says in Matthew is true. It states that every sin is forgivable, except if a person speaks badly about the Holy Spirit. I have attended a private Christian school and one day my Bible teacher was saying that a person is not forgiven if he/she speaks against the Holy Spirit. As he stated that... I thought something against the Holy Spirit. I did not mean to... it just happened. I prayed and asked forgiveness, but does that mean I am forgiven or eternally condemned? SINCERELY WORRIED"

Clearly, this student is confused about the true meaning of this biblical reference. Once understood, this young person can rest assured that the unpardonable sin was most certainly not committed in this case. In fact, this sin cannot be committed by a true Christian."

http://www.christiananswers.net/q-eden/unpardonablesin.html

13. Living4Him

Living4Him New Member

Greetings to my brothers and sisters in Christ.

I had heard that blasphemy or sins against the Holy Spirit are those that are those that are committed from downright malice, either by despising or rejecting the inspirations and impulses which, having been stirred in man's soul by the Holy Spirit, would turn him away or deliver him from evil.

Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit to be final impenitence, perseverance until death in mortal sin. This impenitence is against the Holy Spirit because it is absolutely opposed to the remission of sins.

The six sins against the Holy Spirit accoding to the Catholic Church are:
    1. Despair a positive act of the will by which a person deliberately gives over any expectation of ever reaching eternal life. When one comes to decide definitely that salvation is impossible.
    2. Presumption - one who believes that they can attain eternal salvation without repenting of sin or when a man might expect some special assistance from Almighty God for the perpetration of crime.
    3.Impenitence or a fixed determination not to repent.
    4. Obstinacy
    5. Resisting the known truth
    6. Envy of another's spiritual welfare.

14. Me2

Me2 New Member

Conservative Christian,

Did Jesus destroy death by rendering death powerless and useless?.

1Co 15:26 The last enemy [that] shall be destroyed [is] death.

2Ti 1:10 But is now made manifest by the appearing of our Saviour Jesus Christ, who hath abolished death, and hath brought life and immortality to light through the gospel:

Destroyed death...Abolished death..How?

1Jo 2:2 And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for [the sins of] the whole world.

Did Jesus destroy death by rendering death powerless and useless?.
    That death would Not have a claim on anyone containing sin. (All sin covered)
    That death would Not have power to hold a single "sinner" (all sin covered)
    That death would be rendered powerless towards anyone for there would be no law breakers.
    no "sinners". (all sin covered)

Which means that The unpardonable or unforgivable sin was pardoned and forgiven. if the sin of Blashpemy of the holy spirit wasn't forgivable then death would still have a use. death would still have a purpose for it would still have power and claim over such a one that sinned the blasphemy against the Holy spirit.

And Jesus could NOT be declared Lord over all power..

as I referenced before. Blasphemy can be seen as those who can not reference that Jesus is the Son of God, That he Isnt the Propitiator of all sins of all men. That Jesus hasn't defeated death before his Holy Father. That Jesus Hasnt once and for all written Mankinds future to be one of success overagainst all powers. That Jesus hasn't defeated death and the devil by his righteous act of expressing mercy towards all sinners.

Yet their are many who still cant accept this simple truth. they still dont believe that the Holy spirit is teaching them truth instead of confusion.

Sin in a sense is an attitude. It is refusing to give God his sovereign position over his creation nor allows God to Love his creation as He sees fit.

Blasphemy against the holy spirit is simply not believing God loves all men nor allowing God to Love all men. It is an attitude. one in which the carnal mind overruns the truth given to them by the Holy Spirit.

There are two groups of followers God calls to fulfill his plans. In romans chapter 9-11 they are identified as vessels of wrath and vessels of mercy. Those identified as those expressing a lifestyle of following law and those expressed by living by faith.

Blasphemy of the Holy spirit is an identification mark of the vessels of wrath. they confuse the attribute of satan with those of God.

Ask yourself a simple question...If God or satan had an opportunity to torment souls forever into eternity without end.
    who would you say is more probable of doing such hideous acts?
    did you confuse the attributes of God and satan?
    think hard.
    Who forgives infinitely and who doesnt?

If one has the spirit of God within them.
    Is it possible to confuse the attributes of your own spirit with God? In other words a person with the spirit of God can not blaspheme against themselves nor God.

Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit is committed by those not possessing the spirit of God. Yet they know of the laws of God. Blasphemy against the holy spirit is committed by the vessels of Wrath.

[ March 17, 2004, 12:46 PM: Message edited by: Me2 ]

15. tamborine lady

tamborine lady Active Member

[​IMG]

I had always been taught that Blasphemy of the Holy Ghost was, not accepting Jesus as their Lord and savior.

Some of the answers I see here are things I never heard of or thought about before.

:rolleyes:

working for Him

Tam

16. dr396

dr396 New Member

I am going to have to agree with Singer here. I think that is the best exegetical stuff I have read in a long time on this subject. My church in New Orleans spent about 3 weeks discussing this and what Singer quoted is pretty much what we concluded (except that is stated in a better way than what we came up with).

I think Me2 is wrong when he says,
    This really makes no logical sense. If Jesus says it is not forgivable and then says it is not forgivable in the two ages (this one and the one to come) you have got to do some major hermeneutical gymnastics to come to the point where you say that blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is forgivable because all sins are forgiven. Of course I hold to Limited (or better stated, Particular) Atonement, which makes better since of passages such as the sheep and goats of Matthew 25 and the repayment of deeds in Matthew 16.

So, my conclusion is that no Christian can blaspheme the Holy Spirit and no one who will become a Christian can blaspheme the Holy Spirit (for God would obviously keep them from a sin that He had declared eternally that He would not forgive -- thus binding Himself to send them to Hell). I won't take the time to rehash what Singer said regarding the interpretation of this, so look above if you want to know what I think blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is.

D.R.

17. Me2

Me2 New Member

dr396,

If You call Jesus Christ "Lord".

Doesnt he HAVE TO forgive All Sin committed by those in deaths domain ?

Proving to Gods creation that the power of Resurrection has the ability to raise all souls into eternal life that are held by the power of Death.

Including that of Blaspheming the Holy Spirit ?

Me2

18. dr396

dr396 New Member

Me2,

First of all God doesn't HAVE TO do what we think He does. Secondly, Christ's death IMO and based on what I believe Scripture to make clear paid the penalty for the sins of the elect. He did not pay the penalty for the sins of those who do not put their faith in Him. Otherwise, Christ would pay the penalty and the reprobate person would also pay the penalty. In our society we call this double jeopardy. Christ did not pay for one's sins and then call them to pay for them as well. Also, Christ's atoning work was not the agency through which resurrection of the dead was acehieved. There is nothing in Scripture which hints at this. His resurrection was the first fruits of our resurrection, but the resurrection is in aspect separate from the atoning sacrifice. We cannot confuse the two because Scripture does not seem to equate the two. That is why I believe your position is untenable.

D.R

19. Jailminister

Jailminister New Member

Blaspheming the Holy Spirit is rejecting the Holy Spirit by rejecting Christ. What else can God do if a person does not recieve His free gift.

20. Me2

Me2 New Member

Blasphemy of the Holy spirit is against anyone representing God. They have the Holy spirit dwelling within them. these are identified as those witnessing to the spirit of Jesus Chrsit within them. the Holy Spirit is "one" with the spirit of Jesus Christ within them.

Mat 10:22 And ye shall be hated of all [men] for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved.

What names sake?. Gods Name

Joh 15:18 If the world hate you, ye know that it hated me before [it hated] you.

Joh 15:23 He that hateth me hateth my Father also.
    Joh 15:24 If I had not done among them the works which none other man did, they had not had sin: ]but now have they both seen and hated both me and my Father.

Joh 17:16 They are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.
    Joh 10:30 I and [my] Father are one.
    Joh 17:22 And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one:

Blaspheming God the father, The Son, The Holy Spirit..or the one representing them, is in the same names sake.(character)
    Man represents God by being the conduit in which God manifests his works to the world.

Blaspheming God can be rejecting the works of God through man.
    Blaspheming God ican be Rejecting his words of eternal life...OR PREVENTING OTHERS FROM MANIFESTING THE TRUTH INTO THIS WORLD.

So that Knowing the Truth of God IS crucial for the vessels of wrath doesnt realize what truth is until its too late.

These definitions are warning signs to those who are vessels of mercy and to no others. for those who can see far off.

Blaspheming is nothing out of the ordinary of the vessel of Wrath. although they have a strong passion for knowing about God, but not knowing God personally.

In Revelations the beast, false prophet as well as satan are all identified as blaspheming God and those who represent him. in particular it is the mystery babylon who sits on many waters (people).
    This is an institution representing all vessels of wrath.

Blasphemy of God and Gods people are not an unordinary thing. It happens without the majority of people noticing it. Its become an everyday reproach of little consequence.

1Jo 4:12 No man hath seen God at any time. If we love one another, God dwelleth in us, and his love is perfected in us.
    1Jo 4:13 Hereby know we that we dwell in him, and he in us, because he hath given us of his Spirit.
    1Jo 4:14 And we have seen and do testify that the Father sent the Son [to be] the Saviour of the world.
    1Jo 2:2 And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for [the sins of] the whole world.

savior of the world.

How does he do this? by abolishing death, taking away all known sin. even the sin of Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit, God the Father, God the Son. And Blasphemy against all those whom HE dwells within.

God does not allow mankind to enter double jeopardy. for there is no double jeopardy. only double talk. whats the root word for "double"

doubt.

Me2