1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bloodless Bibles?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by NaasPreacher (C4K), Feb 12, 2005.

1. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Well, actually both are true, but neither is complete. Except the coffee and doughnuts in the foyer. Everybody should know you don't put them in the foyer, It is simply too crowded. Have them in a more open place.

2. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Pastor Larry, can you find one verse to support the idea that Jesus died so I could be happy? Happiness may be a possible side effect of eternal salvation (I have known many miserable Christians), but I find that because God was not willing that I should perish, He sent His only Son to die for my sins.

3. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Peace and joy are fruits of the Spirit. The Spirit is the earnest of our salvation.

4. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

OK, I did a whole word search (not including partial matches) on the 1611 and the 'regular' KJV (1769?) in e-sword, compiled the list into easily readable format and verified there were 3 differences between the e-sword versions. These are they:

Esther 8:12 in the 1611 includes apocryphal Esther, containing instance of the word blood.

Daniel 12:13 contains apocryphal Daniel, containing instance of the word blood.

Psalm 51:14 - bloodguiltiness is hyphenated in the 1611, but not the 1769, causing the word to be found with the whole-word search in the 1611 but not the 1769.

5. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

If they are miserable they do not know God.

Luke 6:23 "Be glad in that day and leap for joy, for behold, your reward is great in heaven. For in the same way their fathers used to treat the prophets.
    Luke 15:7 "I tell you that in the same way, there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who need no repentance.
    Luke 24:52 And they, after worshiping Him, returned to Jerusalem with great joy,
    John 16:20 "Truly, truly, I say to you, that you will weep and lament, but the world will rejoice; you will grieve, but your grief will be turned into joy.
    John 16:24 "Until now you have asked for nothing in My name; ask and you will receive, so that your joy may be made full.
    Acts 13:52 And the disciples were continually filled with joy and with the Holy Spirit.
    Acts 15:3 Therefore, being sent on their way by the church, they were passing through both Phoenicia and Samaria, describing in detail the conversion of the Gentiles, and were bringing great joy to all the brethren.
    Roma 14:17 for the kingdom of God is not eating and drinking, but righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit.
    Gala 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,
    James 1:2 Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials,
    1Pet 1:8 and though you have not seen Him, you love Him, and though you do not see Him now, but believe in Him, you greatly rejoice with joy inexpressible and full of glory,
    Jude 1:24 Now to Him who is able to keep you from stumbling, and to make you stand in the presence of His glory blameless with great joy,

6. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

gb, I agree that miserable people do not know God, but I disagree with your view of grace. It is possible to believe on Christ and not really know Him. But this would not be the proper forum to argue this. Suffice to say, every verse you posted are verses written to those who are already saved by the blood.

7. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Ton of verses already listed. And remember that happiness and joy are mainly eternal in nature, not necessarily in this life.

8. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

I will not deny that God want's us to be happy, and that that happiness is affected through the blood of Jesus, as is every other grace that He bestows upon us as believers. But you must be a believer to partake of that hapiness. You must have His blood covering your sins, or you can never know that peace and joy. And even if you are saved, that is no guarantee that you will experience peace and joy, if you have a wrong view of salvation to begin with, you may spend the rest of your life fretting over whether you really are saved or not (in which case I would not care to guess the truth of the matter, but I would advise such an one to rest in the finished work of Jesus Christ on the cross!)

However, a bloodless gospel that says Jesus died to boost our self esteem (how worthy are we of His sacrifice?) and give us happiness and prosperity in this life, rather than the true teaching that we are all sinners who are not deserving of anything other than eternal torment in the lake of fire, is IMHO a powerless message that does nothing more than foster the creation of large social clubs that meet on Sundays. If you do not truly understand what God has done for you, you will not truly love Him the way that He has called you to. You may indeed be saved at the great white throne, but that does not mean you will be pleasing to the Lord, nor be crowned at the judgment seat when He returns to judge His people. More likely He will say 'depart from me, I never knew you' and you will be cast into outer darkness, weeping and gnashing of teeth, etc. etc.

9. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

But who is talking abotu a bloodless gospel. You have proven that the 1769 is no more bloodless than the 1611. Will you do the same examination with the NKJV?

10. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

No, because the NKJV is 'bound' by copyright and I cannot use e-sword to search it. If the biblegateway.com interface hadn't been so horribly re-designed I might attempt using the online search, but I cannot get a simple verse listing off of it like I can in e-sword.

11. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

I take that back, I will indeed do a comparison of the NKJV. It may take me a while.

12. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Interesting tasks James. From what I can see so far the word "blood" appears in 12 less verse. Will be interested with the count of occurances.

However, does that realy answer the quesion of leaving out the importance of the blood of Christ in the NKJV? You have proven that a word count is virtually meaningless when comes to a solid translation emphasising the blood of Christ.

It will still be interesting to see which 12 verses "leave out" the word "blood" and why.

Interesting studt anyway - it looks like Young Literal Translation has 386 verses with the word "blood" in them - 11 more verses than the KJV.

[ February 18, 2005, 03:18 PM: Message edited by: C4K ]

13. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hmm, you wouldn't mention the blood to them James?

HankD

14. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OHOH, Bibleworks 4.0 finds blood (all roots) 465 times in the KJV and blood-sanguis (all roots) 486 times in the Vulgate.

Conclusion: The Vulgate is more faithful to the blood than the KJV.

HankD

15. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Here is the results I came up with just doing a comparison of the search results on biblegateway.com:

Verses containing blood that ARE in the KJV but NOT in the NKJV:
    Genesis 9:5
    Exodus 22:2
    Exodus 22:3
    Leviticus 19:16
    Deuteronomy 17:8
    Deuteronomy 22:8
    1 Samuel 25:26
    1 Samuel 25:33
    2 Chronicles 19:10
    Proverbs 28:17
    Isaiah 33:15
    Ezekiel 9:9
    Ezekiel 22:9
    Ezekiel 22:13
    Ezekiel 38:22
    Hosea 1:4
    Hosea 4:2
    Hosea 12:14
    Joel 3:21
    Micah 3:10
    Habakkuk 2:12
    Hebrews 12:4

And verses containing blood in the NKJV but not the KJV:
    Exodus 4:25
    Exodus 4:26
    Exodus 7:14
    Leviticus 7:22
    Leviticus 16:3
    Leviticus 17:1
    Ezekiel 7:23
    Zechariah 9:15
    Ephesians 2:11
    1 Peter 2:1

I havent looked at them all, just a cursory glance at a few showed me one potential problem, which is the margin notes and section headings are part of the text in the NKJV search, so some of the verses that say they contain the word blood may not actually contain it in the text (example: 1peter 2:1)

From NKJV text on the web:
    Colossians 1:14
    in whom we have redemption through His blood, [ NU-Text and M-Text omit through His blood.] the forgiveness of sins.

Help my unbelief! :confused:

16. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    James, I believe/hope that we all know that the basic issue is not totally involved with the word "blood" or any other word (in spite of my affection for the Vulgate) but the whole view of reasoning, doctrinal bias and mss behind the given translation. The KJV has been shown to practice addition/deletions/changes from revision to revision.

For every/any translation of the Scriptures a choice is made as to original language textual families and then there is always some kind of doctrinal bias involved in the choice of receptor words. It's unavoidable.

This whole pursuit of "my Bible can beat up your Bible" is IMO a digression at best and a smoke screen at worst to avoid the research involved with establishing/reconstructing from the extant witnesses the Testaments in the original languages and becomes a contest of wills and opinion rather than a scientific (sanctified) pursuit to that end.

My opinion of course.

HankD

17. manchester

manchester New Member

My savior Jesus (could care less about Bible versions) has more than enough blood to cover every sin.

18. manchester

manchester New Member

It's very simple, actually. Some people believe that, unless we have a direct statement from God in unalterable English, we cannot have a faith. So they pick an English translation at random, then claim it is the word-for-word, settled in heaven Word of God. But it doesn't solve the problem, it just pretends that reality isn't real.

No amount of dodges will change the fact that the Word of God was not written in English. No amount of dodges will change the fact that we don't have a definitive and full copy of the Greek and Hebrew originals, nor did we (or will we) ever. Denial of these unfortunate facts is not a solution.