1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Blown Out of Proportion

Discussion in '2007 Archive' started by carpro, Oct 17, 2007.

1. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    http://www.nj.com/starledger/stories/index.ssf?/base/news-12/1192509993309380.xml&coll=1

Family, under pressure, removes its hanged dummy
    Display brought two days of turmoil to Madison

Tuesday, October 16, 2007
    BY MELISSA CASTRO
    Star-Ledger Staff

EXCERPT

Chesla Flood couldn't believe her eyes. A hangman's noose circled the neck of a black-hooded, jeans-clad dummy suspended from the chimney of a house in Madison.

Flood called her mother, Millie Hazlewood, who reported the Halloween display to police. She wasn't the only one. Police went to the property at least three times starting Sunday, and even the mayor asked the homeowners to take down the figure.

At 8 last night, the family relented, saying they feared for their safety.
    "It's no more like freedom of speech anymore," Cheryl Maines said. "My son had to take this down because these people have blown this thing out of proportion."

2. FBCPastorsWife

FBCPastorsWife New Member

This is absolutely ridiculous! I'm not trying to be ugly here but have white people never been hung before?! For years I have seen Halloween displays with nooses or hanging dummies. I've never been offended by them either. Just because of the Jena, LA mess everybody is suddenly offended. People just need to grow up and stop being offended at everything! I'm sick of it! :BangHead:

3. The Scribe

The Scribe New Member

So, it's freedom of speech unless someone disagrees or is offended in any way?

They are taking away our freedoms one by one.

So, if I see anything offensive it must be taken down?
    Then there wouldn't be any or very few holiday displays.

Witches, devils, Santa Claus, etc, should all be taken down.

4. FBCPastorsWife

I totally agree with you! I would almost guarantee though if you are offended by something because of your Christian beliefs and try to make a stink about it...It is basically a lost cause! We've been through it before and most certainly will again.

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Honestly, IMO, why couldn't he have just not put that one item up in his display for this year? WHY do they have to go all the way to posting on their lawn that they're never going to decorate the house ever again - for Halloween OR Christmas?? That sounds pretty childish to me. Not to mention that they NAME the person who complained - wanna bet that's like putting a hit out on them?? Let's see how much THEY get harassed.

On the other hand, I hate those sorts of "decorations". We had a house near us that did the same sort of display and I'd have to purposely go another way (out of my way) so that my children wouldn't see it - because it scared the snot out of my daughter the one time she DID see it. To me, that's just not right. If I chose to see this sort of thing, I'll go to the movies without my children. However, I don't feel that I need to be subjected to the sight of people hanging, others being sawn in 2 and "victims of murder".

By the way, here's the picture of the offending hanging:

http://cmsimg.dailyrecord.com/apps/...Title=1&Logo=/graphics/watermark.gif&MaxW=580

Notice the virgin Mary right in front of it.

6. FBCPastorsWife

I gotta admit...I chuckled when I saw that!

7. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where do we go from here?

How long will it be before someone tells you to remove your Christmas nativity scene from your front yard because a non-Christian claims to be offended by it?

Could you also be accused of a "hate crime"?

8. The Scribe

The Scribe New Member

Thanks. ;)

I'll have to find another reason it offends me. :saint:
    There probably are other good reasons to have them take something down.

It's sad in a self-proclaimed Christian nation that this government protects anyone but the Christians they claim to be. They would rather protect Muslims.

9. moondg

moondg Member
    Site Supporter

This stuff really gets to me.:BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead:

10. billwald

billwald New Member

Well, for the first 500 years Christians controlled the legal apparatus in the Americas. If we couldn't make our case in 500 years . . . maybe God got tired of waiting.