1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Blurry picture

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by Plain ol' Ralph, Sep 14, 2004.

1. Plain ol' Ralph

Plain ol' Ralph New Member

I am not literate in the first definition of the word when it comes to computers, but my computer has recently been getting blurry as it has been on for a few minutes, so bad thatI cannot read the titles to my programs.

I've done all the helps suggestions say, anyone got any suggestions?

2. natters

natters New Member

If it comes and goes, the monitor is starting to act up and may be on its last legs. If it is permanent, you may be able to simply adjust the focus.

3. NateT

NateT Member

You might try degausing the monitor. Sometimes that does fix things like this. In the on screen menu the degause button looks like a horse shoe with a line through it.

Although, I'd agree with natters above, its probably an indication the monitor is going out.

4. SpiritualMadMan

SpiritualMadMan New Member

Degaussing is normally automatic each time the monitor is powered down and back on... (Wall Power not 'Idle')

deguassing is normally seen as 'color blurring'...

Focus is also a possibility... It is usually caused by a reduction in HV... That can sometimes be set by a technician...

Another possibility is over-heating...

If you are 'brave' and *very* careful you can do this yourself... But, there is a risk of shock *even* with the plug disconnected from the wall as the CRT (Picture Tube) stores a High Voltage (HV) charge...

Best done by a tech as some monitors have internal enclosures...

Check List:

Blurry when first turned on, gets a little better later... Probably not Degaussing...

Clear when first turned on then gets progressively worse... Possible HV leakage or over-heating...

Blurry all the time... Dirty Screen? New 'unshielded speakers'... The magnetic field from unshielded speakers can cause color blurring to occur usually at the edges...

I have seen this so bad that only a TV shop with their heavy duty degaussing coil could get rid of the problem...

Monitors in the US can typically be had for less than $150 for a very good sized large format monitor... Might be less expensive to buy a new one?

Also, I have gotten several good monitors form the Salvation Army... But, being a 'tech' I am taking less of a risk. [​IMG] (Know what I am looking for.)

BTW: What brand is the monitor?

5. jimbob

jimbob New Member

If it is not the monitor...then it may be the video card.....inside the PC....where the monitor cable plugs into the back of the case.

6. Plain ol' Ralph

Plain ol' Ralph New Member

Thanks to all of you for responding, but I forgot to add that lightning struck the other night and the surge protector now makes a screeching like noise, but I have another monitor and will try that one, if that doesn't work, then off to buy a new one, any suggestions for a cheap one? [​IMG]

7. SpiritualMadMan

SpiritualMadMan New Member

Replace the Surge Protector!!!

It isn't the blurry picture problem (at least I seriously doubt it :D )

But, the MOV's used in almost every Surge Protector degrade over time with each and every surge they absorb...

If your Surge Protector was hit that hard it will probably *not* protect you in the future...

And, that leads me to believe that the power supply in the monitor has probably got a bad capacitor or diode in the primary power supply lowering the average voltage and causing 60hz noise in what power there is...

At least that's my best guess... If the monitor is otherwise working and you can get a TV Tech to check the caps/diodes for a good price it might be worth fixing....

My Two Cnts.... [​IMG]

8. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Do you have another appliance near the screen? Even strong speakers can cause distortion. We had a green line across the top of our t.v. screen from where we had rested a speaker while moving furniture. Hubby knew how to 'undo' the damage with a large magnet. [​IMG]