1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Book Dilemma

Discussion in 'Books & Publications Forum' started by LaymansTermsPlease, Feb 7, 2004.

1. LaymansTermsPlease

Christian Theology by Millard J. Erickson ISBN: 0801021820

OR

Christian Theology by Alister E. McGrath ISBN: 0631225285

I'm hoping some of you folks who are currently in, or have been to, seminary have an opinion on either of these, or have another suggestion like these.

I'm looking for something the caliber of the textbooks that would be used at Southern Baptist seminaries.

Let me make a few comments about myself that may help some kind folks here give me suggestions on which book might be best for me.

I'm just a simple Christian layperson...no formal theological training...just Sunday school and a private Baptist K-12 school. I'm a career computer programmer.

A high school Bible teacher kind of sparked my interest in theology, but with college, marriage, kid (whirlwind of real life and LOTS of technical reading to stay current with my programming skills), I never really had much time to dig into things over the years.

Recently I got the bug again..wanting to learn as much as I can. I have to reign in my enthusiasm sometimes to keep from spending too much time on theology/history and not enough on God's actual Word itself.

Any opinions on a big, fat, comprehensive-like volume on theology would be appreciated.

Thanks

Currently reading:

Reading Scripture With the Church Fathers by Christopher A. Hall ISBN: 0830815007

Already purchased and next in line for reading:

Learning Theology With the Church Fathers by Christopher A. Hall ISBN: 0830826866

A Handbook for Christian Philosophy by L. Russ Bush ISBN: 0310518210

Books I've read in the recent past:

The Early Church (Penguin History of the Church, 1) by Henry Chadwick ISBN: 0140231994

The Reformation (Penguin History of the Church, 3) by Owen Chadwick ISBN: 0140137572

Bondage of the Will by Martin Luther

Martin Luther's Basic Theological Writings by Martin Luther, Timothy F. Lull (Editor) ISBN: 0800623274

Plus a little bit of Jonathan Edwards (Religious Affectations).

I absolutely love the following resources:

Hall of Church History

CCEL

Biblical Training.org