1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Book for unbeliever?

Discussion in 'Evangelism, Missions & Witnessing' started by Marcia, Aug 28, 2006.

1. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Those praying for Sean or wanting updates:

Sean did not attend church today - he had emailed me last night at 5:30 am his time, saying he would go if he was "not too hung over."

He said he might go the Bible talk Thursday. He also wants to call me, but I am not sure why.

Please pray as I think spiritual warfare is in the picture now that he has taken steps and met a pastor and seemed to like the church. The enemy will try to dissuade him, intercept him, or keep him away.

So please pray! Thank you! :flower:

2. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Sean called me today and we talked for 3 1/2 hrs!!!

He asked lots of questions about my "previous life" as a New Ager and lots of questions about Christ, God, the afterlife, what success is, etc., etc.!! I answered, but also urged him to ask some of these questions of Don, the pastor in Ireland where he is. He also kept saying he "got on" with Don well, so he likes him.

Please pray that Sean will contact Pastor Don soon and attend the services at the little church there. When Sean told me it was a small church with mostly Americans, my heart went out to those believers there, giving their lives and time to be a witness for Christ.

Thank you for praying.

3. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Of course I am still praying.

This response by Sean is so typical of working here. I know that Don realises that he is in for the long haul with Sean. Keep praying for them both and for the small handful of true Christians labouring for Christ in this land.

4. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

The prayers of the righteous... Praying... :praying:

5. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Double post - the computer did it!

#45 Marcia, Sep 27, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2006
  6. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Thanks, Roger! :wavey:

Do you mean asking all these questions is typical of the Irish? And that he asks the same questions over and over?

I know there's a lot of superstition there (and probably New Age stuff, I'm guessing), so that is why Sean has been so entranced by astrology, psychics, dreams, etc. but I didn't know about all the questions. It's like he's taking things in. He emailed me today and told me that he took notes on what I was saying over the phone!

He also said he wants eternal life with God but it is clear that it does not quite seem he is at the point of totally understanding or trusting in Christ.

Any insights on the Irish mind/culture you can give would help as he still emails me of course, and seems to trust me.

LeBuick, thanks for your prayers! :wavey:

7. NaasPreacher (C4K)

There seems to be an "inborn" attraction to all things new age, mystical, nature centred, etc.

It seems to go back to druidism and the sometimes highly vaunted Celtic Church which in realty was nothing more than Christianised Druidism. When the Roman Church officially arrived here in the 12th century all they did was to incorporate this mindset into their practices here. Druid gods and goddeses were "converted" into Irish "saints" and Rome simply incorporated these into her practices here. In hte years I have been here, partly as a result of the scandals that have rocked the Roman Church, I have seen a tendancy to drop the Christian pretense and return to a modern version of the old druidic mindset.

Yes, Sean is typical of so many Irish folks I have witnessed to, a lot of talking, and the same old questions over and over. I am discovering, finally, that the thing that convinces Irish folks is the love Christians have for each other, and others.

Keep loving, talking, and praying. Pray that Don and the other beleivers in Sligo can be the right witness by their love and patience. Sean may be on the verge of being saved, but those who are now involved in praying may be in this for the long haul.

#47 NaasPreacher (C4K), Sep 28, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2006
  8. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Thanks for the warning C4K, I'll put on my knee pads... :praying:

9. NaasPreacher (C4K)

There is much, much more in dealing with the Irish culture.

I think I remember you said Sean was a young man.

In his short lifetime he has seen the one institution which unified the country shot down, the Roman Church. Its scandals have rocked this country to its foundations. Vast numbers have left the church and put their faith in the almighty euro as their god and saviour. Yet, now they are finding the emptiness in that religion.

Their old church at Rome has let them down
    Their new church, materialism has let them down

Why should they trust this new concept of a personal relationship with Christ? In their minds putting their faith in Him is setting themselves up for a fall. Whjy would they trust us, especially those of us who are Americans?

I have a lot more I could share if you are interested, but a lot of it is not suitable for public posting.

10. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

I have been a little out of the loop as I am traveling in the ole USA for a short time, but wanted to check in and see how Sean was doing. Still praying.

11. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Thanks for the info, Roger! It helps to know these things.

Sean is rather young - about 25 or 26, not too much older than my son. He's been emailing me since he was about 20. But this is the first time he wanted to talk to me by phone. I am glad he was asking mostly spiritual things. My statement that Jesus fulfilled over 333 prophecies in the OT (something my pastor says a lot) seems to have struck something in Sean.

Sean emailed me today that he went to the Bible talk, as he calls it, and he gave a pretty good summary of all that was said. Then he said he talked to Don and told Don about our phone conversation, including the 333 prophecies! He also gave Don my website address. Don gave Sean a NKJV since Sean just had the Good News Bible, and Don told him the NKJV was truer to God's word, or something like that.

I think I'll PM you, Roger. Thanks. And thanks to LeBuick and others who are praying, knee pads and all! :wavey:

12. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So much like Japan! It takes much patience, doesn't it, Roger?

Yesterday our kerosene heater guy came over to fix the church heater. His wife is a believer but can't come nowadays since she takes care of her Alzheimer-afflicted mother-in-law. We've prayed for him for years. He shared with us this time on the phone that he had a serious bout with depression and suicidal thoughts, and I thought it was his time to get saved, but he protected himself by bringing another worker. At least he is reaching out, though!

Marcia, hang in there and pray and work with Sean with the same wisdom patience you have shown so far.:jesus:

13. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Thanks, JoJ! It's been a tremendous encouragement to have Sean in touch with a pastor there, and that he called me. :flower: