1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Book recommendations

Discussion in 'Books & Publications Forum' started by ABCJim, Apr 23, 2007.

1. ABCJim

ABCJim New Member

I'm looking for some baptist books, preferably not a reformed/calvinist POV, in general...doctrinal and history.

Thanks

Jim

2. ABCJim

ABCJim New Member

wow-29 views and no suggestions...either all are reformed-minded or just don't read:laugh:

3. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Fields a little narrow for my reading. I can tell you some that I've bought for the media center because the looked informative, but I haven't read them.

4. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==Jim, what exactly are you looking for? A historical theology book? Or a book about baptist history?

One book on Baptist history comes to mind: "The Baptist Heritage" by Leon H McBeth. I have not had a chance to go through it page by page yet so I can't say if it is written from a Calvinistic standpoint or not.

If you are interested in Baptist Confessions (etc) then I highly recommned "Baptist Confessions of Faith" edited by Lumpkin. This is a wonderful resource that I use on a regular basis.

You may also wish to check out "The Sacred Desk" and "The Sacred Trust" by Emir and Ergun Caner. These two books cover the history of the presidents of the Southern Baptist Convention.

Tom Nettles and L Rush Bush have written a wonderful book called "Baptists and The Bible". This book is about how Baptists throughout history have viewed the Bible. Nettles is a strong Calvinist but the book is not affected by that.

Of course all of these books can be purchased through Amazon.
    Hope that helps.