1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bowl Games

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by PastorSBC1303, Jan 1, 2007.

1. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Who is crying for a playoff because of OU?

Not I. I just think a playoff is the only right way to determine the National Champion. I would love to see Boise State get to move on and play some of the other big name teams around.

2. SOGOSINGER

SOGOSINGER New Member

Well today I had to actually get out of my pajamas and have my wife pry the remote control out of my clenched hands- musings from yesterday....

Congrats to Boise State- but don't get too carried away- beating a very mediocre Oklahoma Team doesn't mean you are ready to take on the big boys........6 days and counting......Ohio State prepared to back my earlier prediction of Big 10 dominance over the exceptionally overrated SEC-
    Arkansas, Oklahoma and others, you can not beat a good football team if you can't throw the ball!!!!
    Evidently they play pretty good football out in California too- That is probably the most underrated conference...

Remember if jupiter and mars align just right and somehow Florida knocks off my beloved Buckeyes- This message will self distruct in 6 days....:smilewinkgrin:

3. PastorSBC1303

Oh I am aware of that....but wouldn't it be great to see a first or second round match up of say Boise State and Ohio State...

I just think it is the best way to go.

4. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's a rather strange way to describe a team that, if it hadn't been hosed by the referees in its game with Oregon, would have been a 1 loss team making a case to be playing in the BCS championship game.

5. PastorGreg

PastorGreg Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Penn State 20 UT 10
    Badgers17 Hogs 14

If the Big 10 could only have been matched up against the almighty SEC (clearly the best conference in the nation:laugh: :laugh:) in all their bowl games they'd be 6-0 instead of 2-4.:laugh: :laugh:

Michigan and Oklahoma are embarrasments to college football and to their respective conferences.

6. PastorSBC1303

Wasn't the National Championship set up to rotate between the Rose, Orange, Sugar and Fiesta Bowls? Why is it not in one of those bowls this year?

7. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    They needed to add an extra game so that there would be 10 teams in BCS bowls to make room for a team like Boise State without reducing the take by the big conferences.

8. hawg_427

hawg_427 Member

Go Gators

:jesus: :thumbs: I'm glad I couldn't sleep so I got to watch the best bowl game finish so far. Yes, if ya missed Boise(spelling) St you really missed a good game. Of course since I'm from Florida I can't wait to watch the Gators Monday night.

9. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

The boise game was the best I ever saw.

Actually, I don't thin any sort of playoff is needed, there were only 2 undefeated teams left at the end of the year.

What I don't like is that an undefeated team can go without a chance to win the title.
    We really only need a playoff of 4 teams that guarantees all undefeated teams get a chance.

BTW, with the pass protection and special teams of Boise, I wouldn't be surprised if they could beat OSU

#29 Dale-c, Jan 4, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2007
  10. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

But the beauty of the $$$$$$$$$$ - 'er I mean system - is that we shall never know.

But we can probably know how many of those $$$$$$ are made and went to ND, No???

Ed

P.S. I would like to see where any BCS team should have to play at least 200 miles away from home, (and I was 'pulling for both USC and LSU) unless that were completely unavoidable in the Championship game, under the current farce, - 'er I mean force.

#30 EdSutton, Jan 4, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2007
  11. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

I was so glad to see ND get clobbered.
    NCAA Football is biased towards the big schools anyway but nothing like the bias at ND.

Remember back in the nineties when they refused to go to a low level bowl game? it seems that it was below them to play in a non prestigious bowl.

As good as the Fiesta Bowl was, I would have liked to have seen Boise St play NDU and hammer them.
    BUt LSU did a fine job at that.

12. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Notre Dame is French for OVERRATED.

13. SOGOSINGER

SOGOSINGER New Member

BTW, with the pass protection and special teams of Boise, I wouldn't be surprised if they could beat OSU[/quote]

I like the underdog as good as anyone, but thinking that Boise State could compete with the Bucks is really wishful thinking....The Buckeyes outweigh and outspeed them in every position...To be honest, the same is true of the Big East- Louisville , Rutgers and WVa might, might beat a team of the Buckeyes or florida or USC's calibre one out of 25 tries....But since we will never know, I guess you're just as smart or dumb about this stuff as me...

We can complain about the BCS all we want, but it is sure a whole lot better than when we didn't have anything but the polls....:BangHead: .

14. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    On the scale of junkiness:

pre-BCS-REALLY JUNKY

BCS first era: JUNKY

BCS current era (expanded format): SLIGHTLY LESS JUNKY

Playoff: NOT JUNKY

15. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    UT stank it up... and still it took a freak fumble return with the Vols going in and another FG set up by an unforced TO for PSU to win.

PSU was better than I expected but even the homers announcing the game remarked on how their QB was basically playing over his head.

Arkansas physically dominated Wisconsin. In one of those weird football ways, it didn't matter. They couldn't put points on the board.

You might also want to look at the performance of that unofficial member that got dismantled by LSU.

Big 10 gets their dues... and the most ugly fact is that I know HAVE to pull for UF.

16. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

We can complain about the BCS all we want, but it is sure a whole lot better than when we didn't have anything but the polls..

Absolutely! Actually, the change I would like to see is a few playoff games to decide the bowl games. I like the bowl format as it is, as long as the title game matchup could be fairly decided.
    My main point is this:
    what does a team like Boise have to do to win?
    It seems that there is NO way for them to win a championship. They go undefeated and can't even play for the championship.

THis is what I would like to see.
    Ohio State is undefeated and ranked number 1.
    Boise state is undefeated but they are a small school in a small conference.
    sometime in december they should have played Florida or Michigan etc for the right to play OSU.
    that wouldn't disrupt the bowl format but it would insure that we didn't have two undefeated teams at the end of the year.