1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Boycott time?

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by NaasPreacher (C4K), Sep 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Oh my gosh - didn't think of that! Can you imagine??

Whew - I was beginning to think you were off your rocker.

See, we're not talking about hiring individuals but instead actually promoting sin. There's a VERY big difference. Here are some statements from their press release:

As I said, I've not purchased Ben and Jerry's in years - not since I heard about what they promote and support. I know I don't make much of a difference but I knew what they were supporting, I fully disagreed with it, and I chose not to use their product.

2. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you buy from any company that hires a homosexual or an adulterer or fornicator, etc? If you do, do you feel that you are helping such homosexuals, adulterers, fornicators, etc., to live their lifestyle by helping to keep them employed by purchasing a product from their company?

3. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You shouldn't be so quick to discount that possibility. :smilewinkgrin:

4. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

That is a totally different subject - and, no. I do not refuse to buy from a company that employs a sinner because we ALL are sinners.

But I WILL refuse to buy from a company that supports and endorses sin. Quite the different thing.

5. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If a company has someone employed who is a homosexual or an adulterer or a fornicator, etc., and the company knows that they are, do you think that company is supporting/endorsing sin. Why or why not, in your view?

6. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

My church employs sinners and they know it. They even call them pastors!

No - employing someone is not supporting/endorsing sin unless the company is hiring them to do that sinful thing. So a company hiring someone to steal money from others? yes, that's wrong.

Otherwise an employee is an employee. They're not paying them because they are homosexual. But in this case, Ben and Jerry's is changing the name of this ice cream to support the homosexual cause. They changed the packaging, they are making an entire campaign about it.

OK - I guess if a company went all out with a full campaign saying "We hired Sam who is gay. We support gays and look at how much we do - we hired Sam! We're going to give out ice cream to everyone to celebrate that we hired a gay man.", then I would agree that employing him is endorsing his lifestyle but a general employee? Nope.

7. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for the answer, Ann. I have enjoyed the conversation. I hope you enjoy your boycott as much as I do Americone Dream ice cream. :)

8. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I'm sticking with my Baskin Robbins' chocolate chip. Please don't tell me that they support gay rights too because I think I'd cry a lot and you don't want to see that. :)

9. sag38

sag38 Active Member

I never ate the stuff. It's too expensive. Plus, I've never liked the founders, their homosexuality, and their liberal activism.

10. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

But if they were activists for causes you agree with, that would be fine with you?

Vermont Mystic Pie Company makes terrific pies and they support some great causes. To me, that is a bonus. First the product must be good.

11. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

When you divorce the word "cause" from the sin they support then I suppose it is easier to justify anything.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.