1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Breastfeeding In The Church

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Spinach, Feb 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spinach

Spinach New Member

Does your church have a policy about this? Does it bother you to see a woman breastfeeding her baby in the sanctuary?

I've been in churches where breastfeeding mothers were sent to the nursery. I'm not for it. I've nursed my babies in the sanctuary discreetly----so discreet in fact that no one even knew.

It's not even an issue over here, but it was in the States.

Opinions?

2. Beth

Beth New Member

Esteeming others first

Spinach,
    I believe this is an issue of considering others first. If public breastfeeding makes those with whom you fellowship uncomfortable, then for their sakes breastfeeding should be done discreetly in the mother's nursing rooms. I breastfed all three of my children, myself, but while in church I availed myself of the pastor's office (aka nursing room). The sermon was piped in so nobody lost out on anything which was preached.

It's a cultural thing here.

Beth

3. Spinach

Spinach New Member

In my case, I'm a Mom of 5 and my husband was preaching. Nursing in the pew was much more convenient.

I really don't understand the bolded part. What is cultural about feeding a baby?

4. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    SAMPLE BREAST-FEEDING POLICY
    • No more than one babe to a breast.
    • As Baptists we hold to a women-only BF policy.
    • Mothers must notify ushers if they bring a suckling into the service.
    • BF during services will only be permitted in the back two pews.
    • Noises occurring during BF should be limited to periods of singing.
    • Blankets or coverings must be over both babe and breast at all times, no exceptions! (ushers will be watching for violations).
    Rob

#4 Deacon, Feb 12, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2009
  5. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I breast-fed my two in the sanctuary, and that was approx 30 years ago. Noone ever said a word, and they were glad to have me in there because
    I was the only pianist.

6. Spinach

Spinach New Member

LOL!

7. Spinach

Spinach New Member

I can relate. I was the only pianist. If for some reason I had to go to the nursery, someone would have to find me to play for the invitation. Mine was 3-12 years ago, though.

Truth be told, I'm not really for nurseries (or Sunday School, Junior Church, etc)---I'm not opposed, necessarily, just not for.

8. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think it's shameful only if she is wearing pants and is sporting a short hair cut while she does it. As long as she is walking two steps behind her husband, doesn't make eye contact with anyone, and doesn't speak unless spoken to, then she is good to go.

:tonofbricks:

9. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

As a man I don't really see the issue here.

I hate to admit it, but as a man I have the same issues with lust as the next guy, but for the life of me can't see breastfeeding in that light.

My wife breastfed all six of ours, wherever and whenever she needed to, including church. As far as I know no one ever noticed, or if they did kept it to themselves.

Again - don't forget I do battle lusts like every man, but as a preacher I would not be in the slightest distracted by a nursing mother.

10. Spinach

Spinach New Member

C4K, that sounds a lot like my husband.

11. BigBossman

BigBossman Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Breastfeeding in church, out in the open is inappropriate. That should be done at home, prior to the church service starting. Why would someone wait until they come to church to do that?

12. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Generally, breastfed babies eat more often than bottle fed babies.

With hungry little babies you have a choice. Feed them or listen to them cry. It's more appropriate to feed them instead of letting them scream through the service.

13. Spinach

Spinach New Member

Do I detect a tone from you that it's icky? If it's not icky, why should it be done in secret?

I know a lot of nursing Moms who feed on demand. My babies were hungry every two hours during the day.

14. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

For a guy this topic sure hits my hot button.

It really gets my goat when a nursing mum is treated like a pariah. They are expected to go off in some corner and perform their 'shameful, disgusting' act. I even know personally of situation where a mum was told to go nurse a baby in the toilet (restroom).

My flesh want to tell those who say something like that to go eat their lunch in the toilet.

Argh.

We once had a small group Bible study when all four mums were in the nursing stage - as far as I know not one of the guys got any fleshly thrills out of seeing a nursing mother.

Was gonna say something blunt - but reconsidered.

15. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think it's no problem if it can be done discreetly. I always had to breastfeed in the nursery, though, because my babies wouldn't eat with a blanket over their face.

16. Spinach

Spinach New Member

"Go eat your lunch in the bathroom" is a very good one!

17. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Breast feeding should be done in private. Quite frankly I do not understand the need to do it in the open and to be offended to sugest otherwise. So what if you have to go elsewhere? Why is that something to be offend about? This is a matter of appropriateness and modesty. My wife would never have done this in public. And neither does she understand the need to do so.

18. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

It is the law that women can breastfeed wherever they are so churches should be very careful about that.

I breastfed my children wherever they needed to nurse. Our church does have a beautiful nursing room with low lighting, rocking chairs, changing table, large TV for the service and many women use it. I used it when my babies got a bit older and more noisy (we didn't do nursery for a long while with the babies).

But to tell a woman to leave is wrong, IMO. I don't think I've ever seen anything when a mother nurses - and I know that I was able to nurse in front of people without them even realizing it. So there's no worries about offending someone unless they decide to take offense and since they couldn't see a thing (hey - even I couldn't see a thing), then that's totally their problem.

What's interesting is that before the advent of formula, this wasn't even a question. AND women didn't have nursing clothing to make it discreet. They just unbuttoned their blouse and pulled out the breast - then nursed. Period. No questions asked because it was the NORM.

Since Jesus was breastfed, it should be good enough for our babies. :D

19. Spinach

Spinach New Member

There is no "need" to do it in public. I don't understand the "need" to do it in private. A baby is eating. It's not shameful.

20. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    from I Samuel 1
    But Hannah went not up; for she said unto her husband, I will not go up until the child be weaned

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.