1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

'Brokeback Mountain' takes 4 Golden Globes

Discussion in '2006 Archive' started by Ben W, Jan 17, 2006.

1. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

'Brokeback Mountain' takes 4 Golden Globes

January 17, 2006
    BY DAVID GERMAIN
    ASSOCIATED PRESS

BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. -- The cowboy romance "Brokeback Mountain" led the Golden Globes on Monday with four prizes, including best dramatic film and the directing honor for Ang Lee.
    It was a triumphant night for films dealing with homosexuality and transsexuality. Along with the victories for "Brokeback Mountain," acting honors went to Felicity Huffman in a gender-bending role as a man preparing for sex-change surgery in "Transamerica" and Philip Seymour Hoffman as gay author Truman Capote in "Capote."
    "I know as actors our job is usually to shed our skins, but I think as people our job is to become who we really are and so I would like to salute the men and women who brave ostracism, alienation and a life lived on the margins to become who they really are," Huffman said.
    The Johnny Cash biography "Walk the Line" won the Globe for best musical or comedy film and earned acting honors for stars Joaquin Phoenix and Reese Witherspoon. The story follows country legend Cash's career and his long courtship with the love of his life, June Carter.
    Director Lee's "Brokeback Mountain," the story of two rugged Western family men (Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal) concealing their affair, has emerged as a front-runner for the Oscars -- which occasionally have handed out top acting prizes for performers in homosexual or gender-bending roles but have never given the best-picture Oscar to a gay-themed film.
    Oscar nominations come out Jan. 31, with the awards presented March 5.
    "Brokeback Mountain" also won for best song, "A Love That Will Never Grow Old," and best screenplay for writers Larry McMurtry and Diana Ossana.

http://snipurl.com/ln7p