1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bus driver fired for obscene gesture to Bush

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Terry_Herrington, Nov 6, 2006.

1. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since she made that "obscene gesture" in front of children she should be fired. It doesn't matter who she made it to.

2. Pete

Pete New Member

Cool, now maybe someone will get rid of Dubya for his...."sign language".

3. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen, Preacher.

4. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I agree because of in front of the children, not to Lyndon Baines Bush.

5. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    She has a right to hate him. She has a right to express her middle finger in any manner she chooses. She has a right to vocalize the words in his direction that the finger in question stands for.

But when she became a bus driver of underage children, her job responsibilities automatically override her freedom of expression.

This is America. She is still free to express her viewpoint in terms of vile words and finger signs that express vile words. Just because you are an American does not mean that you are forced to espouse Judeo-Christian moral codes.

She just isn't at liberty to do so in front of underage children. Part of any adult's job description in working with underage students is to uphold a code of ethics determined by your local school board.

She deserved to have been fired.

6. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So as long as it's given to Pres. Bush, that makes it OK? It's OK for someone to flip someone off as long as it's Pres. Bush? And this is the right thing, the "christian" thing to do in your book?? You're in the wrong book!

7. rbell

rbell Active Member

maybe he was just telling the President, "You're number one in my book!"

OK, sorry for the flippant remark.

:tongue3:

8. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Why dont you stick to the op (for once). It said should she be fired, not did I think it was ok. I am not her boss. No, it is a terrible witness. What does that have to do with keeping a job? Read the subject of the thread.

9. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

I think this bus driver should not have hoisted her salute to the President because of her position and because of her proximity to the children. She was wrong.

As far as she losing her job or not would depend on the past practices of the district administration. If, in the past, they had dismissed others in a similar situation, she should be fired. If others had received less severe punishment, she should receive the same thing.

10. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

That type if thing is just one of the many reasons we chose not to allow our kids to ride the bus to school this year...and then eventually pull them out of the public school.

It's sad though, you would expect the other kids to be the bad influence and not the "adult" driving the bus.

11. underscoretim

underscoretim New Member

the original post asked if they should be fired.
    i don't know.
    maybe it's a freedom of speech issue

12. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course it's a freedom of speech issue.

But as my students that I used to teach in my 5th grade Constitution class will tell you, freedoms aren't free and "freedom" doesn't mean chaotic license to practice anarchy.

Yes, in this country we are grateful for freedom of speech. But in order to enjoy that freedom and to keep it precious, there are responsibilities that come hand-in-hand with the rights.

Yes, she had the right to her opinion and to express as she so desired. She also had the moral responsibility to restrain her vulgar expression in the presence of children.

Freedom of speech and the rest of the freedoms in the Bill of Rights is not rocket science, people.

13. underscoretim

underscoretim New Member

she did have every right to express herself. but i imagine she will be punished for her actions by her bosses

14. Not_hard_to_find

Site Supporter

I find myself in agreement. If the firing was the result of established norms -- well done. But if a similar signal to any passerby would not result in a firing, this shouldn't either.

15. TomMann

TomMann New Member

16. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

. . . she should be handcuffed to her chief supporter . . .

17. StraightAndNarrow

StraightAndNarrow Active Member

So anyone who gets mad at a co-worker and uses "colorful" language or gestures should be fired even i9f it is in front of a child? I think she be given a warning that that kind of behavior won't be tolerated. Firing for a first offense is too extreme.

18. Petra-O IX

Petra-O IX Active Member

When George Bush did the gesture it was funny, how many kids have tuned into that infamous video of Bush. This schoolbus driver followed the example of Bush and yet this guy is still in office and a busdriver is out of a job. I agree that the busdriver should have been reprimanded but not fired.

19. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist