1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bush Favorable Rating at Only 36% vs Nixons 39%

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by ASLANSPAL, Aug 22, 2005.

1. ASLANSPAL

ASLANSPAL New Member

This is a very unpopular President..who I believe
    is out of touch with the American People.

http://americanresearchgroup.com/economy/

Overall, 36% of Americans say that they approve of the way George W. Bush is handling his job as president, 58% disapprove, and 6% are undecided.

Bush job approval Approve Disapprove Undecided

Aug 2005 36% 58% 6%
    July 2005 42% 52% 6%
    Jun 2005 42% 53% 5%
    May 2005 43% 51% 6%
    Apr 2005 44% 50% 6%
    Mar 2005 47% 48% 5%
    Feb 2005 49% 45% 6%
    Jan 2005 51% 44% 5%
    Dec 2004 50% 45% 5%
    Nov 2004 51% 43% 6%
    Oct 2004 45% 47% 8%
    Sep 2004 45% 48% 7%
    Aug 2004 43% 50% 7%

Among Republicans (35% of adults registered to vote in the survey), 77% approve of the way Bush is handling his job and 18% disapprove. Among Democrats (37% of adults registered to vote in the survey), 15% approve and 81% disapprove of the way Bush is handling his job. Among Independents (28% of adults registered to vote in the survey), 21% approve and 72% disapprove of the way Bush is handling his job as president.

Overall, 33% of Americans say that they approve of the way George W. Bush is handling the economy, 62% disapprove, and 5% are undecided. Among registered voters, 36% approve and 60% disapprove of the way Bush is handling the economy.

For a little perspective, recall that Richard Nixon’s approval rating in the summer of 1973 (when the Watergate scandal was in full swing) was 39%.

2. faithtrustbelief

faithtrustbelief New Member

Good Post. I for one voted for Bush. However, I must say I have been very disappointed in the way he has handled himself during this term in office. He has had a very non-chalant(sp?) attitude. The thing that gets to me is this, it is widely known the Bush family owns some oil companies, and with the rising Gas prices he doesnt seem to be in any hurry to try and help the struggling Americans with this obvious problem.

Now think on this, if me and you had a conflict of interest like this one while working at a company we would be fired.

I voted for Bush cause I felt he was religious and would uphold the morals of the Bible. So far, I am disappointed to say I do not see that in his actions.

Concerned Pastor in Mississippi....

3. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What oil companies do the Bushes own?

4. faithtrustbelief

Here is a few websites detailing what he owns. he still has stocks in the oil company he sold. It is widely known and no secret he has ties and stocks on various oil companies...

http://www.newint.org/issue335/greasing.htm
    http://www.freemasonrywatch.org/bush_binladen.html

and last but not least, on the United for peace website..http://www.unitedforpeace.org/article.php?list=type&type=41

Bush owns stock in General Electric, BP, Duke Energy, ExxonMobil, Newmont Gold Mining Corporation, Pennzoil and Tom Brown, Inc.

5. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This demonstrates more than anything the power of the press to change public mood and opinion.

Energy prices are directly linked to those inexpensive goods we buy at Wal-Mart from China. It is Chinese demand that ran the prices up... that and restrictions on building refineries and tapping oil reserves like ANWR.

Does the press ever make these associations?

I am disappointed in all of our politicians for not pushing ethanol. We have the capacity to free ourselves from Arab oil with clean burning, renewable, domestically produced fuels.

As a matter of fact, where is the press on this one unless they are bought out too?

6. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    So what? The price of oil and gasoline is set on the Nymex.

7. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    So what? He will not be running for re-election.

In such a poll I would say I disapprove of President Bush's performance as well, but I imagine for vastly different reasons than you would ASLANSPAL.

8. Bluefalcon

Bluefalcon Member

Obviously the poll is stupid because anyone knows that 28% of Americans are NOT independent. My guess is that the 28% who said they were independent were actually Democrats. So you're left with the 35% of the survey who identified themselves as Republicans supporting him, and basically everyone else, who are not Republicans, not supporting him. This poll tells us nothing. The real poll is the election in which 51% of all Americans actually voted for him.

Cheers, Bluefalcon

9. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

You mean 51% of the Americans that voted, voted for him, I doubt 51% of Americans voted, I believe only 61% of the county's registered voters turned out in the 2004 general election.

So 51% of the 61% of the registered voters who turned out to vote, voted for Bush. ;)

To be honest I could care less about a politicians public approval rating as much as I care about the constitutional rating. If a politician has a 99% public approval rating but is not protecting and defending the US Constitution like they took an oath to do, then their approval rating means nothing to me!

10. Bluefalcon

Bluefalcon Member

JGrubbs, yes, you're right, probably less than 50% of Americans voted because only 105 million Americans actually voted. But more people voted for Bush (60 million) than Reagan (55 million) the second time. Reagan "only" got 44 million the first time. Actually, more people voted for Bush than any other president in the history of US elections. Of course the population is larger today, but the sheer number factor is impressive, considering that in 1916 the winner (Woodrow Wilson) only got 9 million votes. I know the population is bigger now, but not that much bigger, and of course women voting means that a large number of them voted Republican.

Cheers, Bluefalcon

11. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

The ASP strikes again!

12. 3JesusIsGod3

3JesusIsGod3 New Member

I don't think stock held in oil companies matters much to Bush. He's supported a lot by oil companies, but that probably has little to do with oil prices.

I'm disappointed in the Gaza pullout and the failure to stand up to terrorists there. Why is this good for Israel? I can't see it.

He's also not standing up to the Islamist in Iraq. We don't want an Islamic government in Iraq. We've got all the troops and power there. Why is he letting himself get pushed around?

As for abortion, Bush said he wouldn't support getting rid of Roe v. Wade.

I voted for him.. but only because there wasn't a better candidate. I don't think he or the Republican party has lived up to their promise of being a Christian party. Frist has even backed stem cells from embryos.... at the same time that we find out they can get them from skin!

13. faithtrustbelief

Owning stock in oil companies and being president is a conflict of interest. If any of us had a job, and then they discovered we had a conflict of interest like this, then we would be fired.

14. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are rules governing this.

His investments have to be put into a blind trust of some sort just like every other President.

I suspect that you would have to go pretty far back to find a President with no investments in the oil and energy industries.

15. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    BTW, Bush is getting battered effectively for doing the right thing.

He is letting the market find its equillibrium which will bring new innovations on line. He could have shortcutted the process by increasing fuel mileage standards, mandating alternative fuels, or even more onerous government meddling like rationing. Instead, he is doing what many here at least in theory support- letting the market do its job... which in the long run will be more efficient and effective than government action.

People who act on principle often suffer for it. Either Bush is acting on principle with the willingness to take the heat or else he is the most stupid back room conspirator to ever live. He has money and so do his friends in the oil industry... what he has benefitted this "grand conspiracy" of oil men wouldn't be worth what he has sacrificed in power and clout.

I am not a mind reader nor do I have an "ear" at the White House. However, the most consistent thing about Bush (that has driven the liberal press crazy) is that he does things because he believes they are right and not because he thinks they're popular. He often ignores the media other than using them to get his own message out... and that just makes them hate him worse than his ideology already did.

16. elijah_lives

elijah_lives New Member

As badly divided as the electorate is, I don't believe any president is capable of garnering more than a simple majority of support, anymore. There's a lot of disinformation being spread by the MSM, and Americans are buying into it. For example, I can't remember, during my lifetime, a period in which our economy was stronger than it is now. Yes, there are problems in our economy; there are in ANY economy, at ANY period of time. But considering that we have had to contend with high energy prices, an economic hit from 9-11, a huge increase in security costs (both government and private, at all levels), a devalued dollar, blooming trade deficits, spending on the war in Iraq & Afghanistan, and a hostile press that drives consumer confidence down, our economy is actually doing quite well. Yet, the poll shows 2/3's of the public doesn't believe that.

In Iraq and Afghanistan (where I have relatives stationed, and they confirm this), troop morale is high, schools, hospitals and other components of a national infrastructure have been built or rebuilt; institutions that never existed have been or are being created; governments that were hostile towards the West have been replaced by democratically-elected, friendly governments; 50 million people have been freed from domestic oppression; and our precious Gospel is being spread in lands that were closed before. My sister, in Kabul, tells me that Afghanis are earning $6/day now, compared to $1/day under the Taliban. Both of their economies are growing at a rate that I wish our economy could emulate (but, of course, Greenspan would never permit this).

I am also disappointed in the absence of true, conservative reform within our government. Without fundamental changes within the judiciary, I'm not sure such reforms could take place. One of the problems I see is that Bush is too nice to the opposition. His opponents won't be happy, no matter what Bush does, so he should forget about trying to please them, and just do what's right.

17. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you for reporting an answer to my prayers.

18. hillclimber

hillclimber New Member

And you somehow infer that this is evil on his part?

19. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

Not if you own stock in the energy sector.......

20. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

Greetings Ken,

This is not exactly true, but it is a factor. These are not consumer prices. There are more factors to the price you see at the pump.

Regards to you,
    BiR