1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Buying a used piano?

Discussion in 'Music Ministry' started by Sopranette, Aug 15, 2007.

1. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

What does a used piano, in good shape, tuned, and small enough for home, cost, roughly? We live in a small town, so I'm really going to have to look to find one. I did see electric roll-out keyboards for sale, but how do they sound? Thanks! (On the plus side, nobody would see or hear from me again!) ;)

love,

Sopranette

2. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

Join Freecycle and you might be able to get one for free. My group only has 150 members and their have been 3 pianos given away in the past couple of years.

Go to www.freecycle.org to find a group near you.

3. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    About $1,000. If you find one cheaper than that, be sure to check the condition of the hammers inside and the strings. If the piano is more than half a step flat, it's going to take a while to get back into tune (maybe several months) but even if it's in perfect tune, you'll lose that perfect pitch while moving it to your home. It's best to have it tuned as soon as possible after you bring it home.

If you don't mind an older, bulky piano, like an upright, you might be able to pay a lot less for a good used one.

By the way, get one that's been situated near an inside wall of the person's home and not against an outside wall or door. The temperature flectuations on the outside walls will harm the piano.

4. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

Excellent recommendation. We just got an antique (early 1900s) piano for free off of freecycle. It cost us a lot of energy to move the beastly thing and $65 to tune it, well worth the expense and it sure is beautiful. :godisgood:

5. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

I'm still looking through freecycle to find one. I went to Amazon to look at roll up ones, but they are all synthetic sounding, it seems. I saw a couple of old uprights in the basement of our church. I don't know if they're still being used. I'd love to ask about maybe buying one (DH could bring it home in his truck), but I'm still new to this church, and believe it or not, I'm very shy about asking. Our pastor would think I'm a nut!
    When we bought this house, there was an upright piano, unused, sitting in the living room. The owners said we could have it, they didn't want to be bothered with moving it. Weelll, day we moved in..what was gone? You guessed it! (They also left a huge plowing attachment for an antique tractor in our shed, but took the tractor). Must have been pure spite, on his part, for whatever reason.

Love,

Sopranette

6. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

I'm STILL trying to find even one piano on freecycle...the site is huge! Am I going about it wrong, or is there a certain way to find what you're looking for?

love,

Sopranette

7. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

In the subject line: WANTED: Piano

In the body of the message: I would like to have a piano for the house and would be happy to pick it up at your convenience.

(Do not put you want one that is tuned etc., because you will have to tune it after you move it anyway. After all, if the piano was perfect; why would anyone give it away?

You can always say you can't use it after you look at it if you don't want it.)

8. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

The subject line doesn't come up on my screen... old computer!

update: I called our pastor (it's easier for me to ask over the phone) about the pianos, and he said one might be available! He said it had been for auction, and someone had made a small bid, but had never picked it up. He's going to check and see if the man still wants it (after a couple years, I would say no, right?) It's not fancy, but neither am I! And he's not going to charge me anything for it! The Lord DOES work in mysterious ways! I'm going to choir practice tonight, so I'll see our pastor then. Maybe he'll have some good news!

love,

Sopranette

[Hey Sop, Keep your language clean.
    This is a family board. :)
    DHK ]

#8 Sopranette, Aug 15, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2007
  9. Archeryaddict

Archeryaddict New Member

Thanks for the Heads up
    I just signed up for my local area.
    to the OP
    It really depends on what style of Piano you are looking to buyand the condition of the piano will also have an effect on the cost
    and of course wthe piano will have to be tuned after it is delivered to your home because the piano will have to adjust to the climate and something may get tweaked during delivery of the piano

if course you are looking at a significant difference financially between a Grand paino and an upright.
    you may want to consider an electronic keyboard which you don't have to worry about tuning and they don't take up the amount of space that a Paino requires plus you can transport it if you need to.
    Just a thought.

10. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

Okay, I'm going to confess something...I don't like choir. I'm not a people person. And I don't like new music. I prefere old hymns. Plus...doing practice at almost 8 o'clock is too much for me, having to wake up at 7 o'clock! If get the piono, I'll practice by myself. Is it wrong? I'll still sing with the old hymns, playing by myself for myself. I dont like the gosple songs. I don't like "new" songs, gosple and southlern style country stuff. Tracks and all that! There...I said it!

love,

sopranette

11. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you planning just to practice by yourself and then still sing with the choir? As a morning-impaired soprano, I feel your pain! But, if you plan to still sing with the choir, it's only fair that you practice with them. Besides, you can't "blend" properly with the people around you when you're singing by yourself. It sounds like you have more of an independent, solo-type personality when it comes to singing, but it's very good discipline having to follow the choir director, blending with others, even making yourself sing different style songs you don't like. It will stretch your ability more, I think.

12. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

Singing with a choir just seems to be so stifiling, to me. I cannot seem to vary from the set directions right there in black and white. That's boring. We sang one of our first christmas songs last night. The music director was almost in tears over this song, when I just felt...well, nothing. Actually, come to think of it, every song follows the same pattern, soft, then building up to some crescendo. And some of the country stuff just sounds a little hokey. "New Kid In Town"? C'mon now! Harsh words, I know. They have done this for a number of years apparently, and being the new kid, it's not my place to say anything. She was just lamenting over the fact that the choir had dropped down to almost half in the past few years. Well, it's not the fault of the singers; there are some really impressive singers in there. I just doubt they'd be willing to try something with more life, more depth, some fire, especially at 8 or 9 o'clock in the middle of the week. So the piano will bring me some satisfaction with being able to play music that touches me, without interferring with the choir's set course of action.

love,

Sopranette

#12 Sopranette, Aug 16, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2007
  13. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Seems to me to be an awful lot of focus on "me" instead of on glorifying God and what is best for the Body.

14. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

Then tell me, how am I, as part of a half hearted choir, feeling nothing over the words I'm singing, supposed to inspire others? Yes, in part, it does start with me. When you preach a message, do you just read what you've written down, and nothing else? I doubt it. It's the same with music.

love,

Sopranette

15. PastorSBC1303

Again, notice the emphasis on "I".

Half hearted? What gives you the right to make this call? The way you described the music director I would hardly describe as half hearted.

Well atleast you notice the emphasis on "me"

When I preach, I do so for the glory of God and to equip the body of Christ and to tell the message of the Cross to the lost. It is not about "me" but about Him!

If it was the same with your music, there would be an emphasis on bringing glory to God and what is best for the Body.

16. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

Okay, you win. As in all your posts. Actually, this board is always about being right, anyway, in your own minds. I know what I know, and you can't change that. So go on being "right". Talk about "me, me me"! This thread was about looking for a piano, not personal convictions. But that's the way it goes, it seems, on this site. Batttle after battle. Telling off one person after another... *yawn* Welcome to the "I'm always right, you are an imbicle" club.

Sopranette

17. PastorSBC1303

You might want to go back and check who actually got this thread off of the intent of the OP....

18. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Is there a reason to believe that anybody would argue for a position that they don't think is right? Not following your logic here.

A total passive-aggressive response followed by you playing the martyr.

I just noticed this in reading through the whole thread. What's with the cursing?

Sopranette, if you don't like the board, and it doesn't appear you do based on this, and other posts, why are you still here?

#18 ccrobinson, Aug 16, 2007
  19. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Let's be blunt. You're wrong.

Plus, you're the one who's cursing, not me. Or PastorSBC. Or anybody else.

20. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

Since when did using symbols become cursing? And how is this any of your concern, cc? This site...why does the simplest thread degenerate into he said, she said, all out brawl? I belong to secular sites that are tea parties compare to this!

Sopranette

#20 Sopranette, Aug 16, 2007