1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

By ALL means!

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Skandelon, May 23, 2011.

1. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

thanks!
    Do hold to the fact that God does elect to eternal life all those chosen by Him to be saved and placed "In Christ" from Eternity past, BUT do not hold to God electing unsaved to go to hell, active act, they will go their thru oen voliation ...

Also think that regeneration/faith 2 sides of same coin in salvation process...

God does do an internal act of grace to make person "ready" and "able" to receive jesus, to exercise faith in Christ...

God sends the Holy Spirit to renew/regenerate his elect ones, and they exercise their faith in what they can now hear and respond to, the Gospel message "faith comes by hearing, by the word of God"

2. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    .....Ol' Danny is keeping right in line with the teaching of Andrew Fuller:

"Just as Fuller strove to make the Baptists respectable and clean them of what he called the dunghill of High Calvinism, so his modern fans are presenting him as their only hope in making Christianity a rational religion which even fallen man can comprehend and follow faithfully."
    http://evangelica.de/articles/doctrine/why-i-am-not-a-follower-of-andrew-fuller/

3. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then we're turning the churches over to the ..... oh well. At least we are remnants....we must go on. :jesus:

#23 Earth Wind and Fire, May 25, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2011
  4. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't believe everything you read from George Ella. Most Reformed Baptists are fans of Fuller (Michael Haykin, Tom Nettles, Robert Oliver etc.). Fuller was a very great man.

Steve

5. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There's not a [uninspired] man alive or who has lived whose writings I believe totally, but Ella has made some convincing arguments against some of the [contradictory] teachings of Fuller. I happen to think John Gill was a very great man.

6. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

Nice dodge. What do you suppose God wants those means to accomplish that are not already accomplished through the effectual work of regeneration?

Having trouble answering that question, Luke?

7. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

Doesnt one placing their personal faith in jesus Christ, after hearing the message of the Cross, actually prove/confirm that they were truely the elect of the Lord though?

that the Lord WILl and does do an inward work/change in heart/mind of man, enabling them to receive jesus, and that regeneration occurs at same time personal faith placed in jesus?

8. Skandelon

No I'm not, you are misunderstanding my question as I will explain...

Also, you say "once again" as if this there was another time I "confused" the two. Could you site that quote instead of making blanket accusations? Thanks.

I understand and even acknowledged that fact. I see the purpose accomplished through the preaching of the gospel to those who are elect of God, but what I've asked for the the purpose accomplished through the other means that is NOT accomplished only through Calvinism's "effectual work" of grace?

I couldn't agree more, but this is just a restatement of what we believe, its not an answer as to what those means actually accomplish that is not only accomplished through the inward effectual work of God (i.e. what some refer to as "regeneration" or "new birth").

I was in agreement with you all the way up to the part I emboldened. You presume that all these things you listed didn't work, quoting Acts 18:32 as a proof text, which doesn't exist (maybe just a typo?)

The point is that some people did come to faith after the use of these means so to claim that they didn't work is presumptuous and begs the question. If they don't work what was their purpose? Why did Paul bother becoming all things to all men if that wouldn't work? Why not just proclaim the truth and let God's effectual regenerative work do the rest?

Also, you say God must open the heart of those who hear but you seem to dismiss the possibility that its through these chosen means that God is opening their hearts and minds. Could God not use envy to open the mind of a hardened Jew? Why presume that these means are not useful in accomplishing these purposes? Why presume there must be another effectual/irresistible inward means when scripture never indicates there is?

Saying "because it pleases God" doesn't answer the question as to what purpose it serves. The gospel pleases God, but it also serves the purpose of informing and inviting the born again elect to faith. These other means, which you clearly acknowledge are used in scripture, serve no other purpose to speak of if Calvinism is true.

#28 Skandelon, May 25, 2011
  9. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

No, and you know I am not.

God can use MEANS to bring about regeneration if he so chooses.

God can use the death of Stephen to awake the conscience of Paul, for example, if He so chooses.

God can use the kind act of another to turn one's thoughts to Christ to initiate the process of regeneration.

God can use whatever he wants to accomplish whatever he wants.

Next...

10. Skandelon

Apart from regeneration?

I didn't think so. See, you still must have regeneration to accomplish the purpose thus leaving the other means without any real purpose. They accomplish nothing to speak of, thus making such verses which speak of them as having accomplished something misrepresentative.

For example, when Jesus says, "Woe to you, Korazin! Woe to you, Bethsaida! If the miracles that were performed in you had been performed in Tyre and Sidon, they would have repented long ago in sackcloth and ashes."

Clearly, if Calvinism is true, the non-elect people of Tyre and Sidon would have never repented regardless of the number of miracles performed. Why? Because they would have never been regenerated. Clearly, Jesus acknowledges the ability of these means to convince a man. They have a purpose and they can accomplish that purpose in my system, but not in yours.

11. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

I'd respond and show you where you miss it, but I will not be moderated by you.

12. Skandelon

I don't moderate for doctrine, only for the breaking of the rules. The admins would edit me if I did otherwise. The board is actually to be self moderated as each person is able to report posts. We are just given the responsibility to actually go in and do the edits.

Your neglecting to answer for this reason is clearly an avoidance technique, especially in light of the fact that you have engaged in discussions with other moderators.

13. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

You know better. We just had this discussion in private.

[Snip - rules state that if you have a problem with a moderator you need to handle that through PMs. You can report problems to an Administrator]

#33 Luke2427, May 25, 2011
  14. Skandelon

We are on the same playing field because I'm subject to your rebuke as well if I break the rules. You only have to report my post if they are in violation of the posting rules and a moderator (beside me) will be informed and can edit it. But, I think you will find that will not be necessary with me because I don't break the rules.

You would have no problems if you simply obey the rules. If you can't do that, then you may be right, you shouldn't debate me.

15. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

You're not subject to my rebuke. I cannot give you warning willy nilly as you have done me three times in one day.

16. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    [snip - please handle concerns about moderation through PM, per the rules]

#36 Don, May 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2011
  17. Skandelon

I received several reports from other members Luke, there is nothing "willy nilly" about what I've done. There are also several public comments concerning your demeanor and inflammatory posts. You made a personal attack, which is against the rules. Just stick to addressing the subject and not the person and that won't be a problem.

I've sent you a PM and I advise you to stick to addressing these types of concerns there. I've also agreed to only report the posts that you write directed to me, in the same way you can report mine.

18. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Do you not have to obey these rules.

If I cannot address publicly what a moderator has done to me, why is it ok if a moderator addresses publicly what he has done to others?

Don had it right. I know you deleted his post, but he is not the only one who has reported to me that you are wrong in doing what you are doing.

19. Skandelon

Yes, and if you feel that I have broken them you can report it, as I've told you again and again.

I'm only trying to dispel the notion that I have treated you unfairly. No one has questioned whether or not you actually broke the rules, only if I should edit you when I'm in a discussion with you. We've come to an agreement on that point. I'm also letting people know how to properly handle moderating concerns.