1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Calvanism Application

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Thinkingstuff, Apr 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DreamSlayer

DreamSlayer New Member

1 John 2:2 and He Himself is the propitiation for our sins; and not for ours only, but also for those of the whole world.

1 John 1:9 (New American Standard Bible)

9 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

Propitiation, as hilasmos, is both the placating of a vengeful God just as well as it is the satisfying of the righteous judgment of that holy God; thereby making it possible for Him to show complete mercy without compromising His righteousness or justice, i.e., mercifully covering and paying for sins, as offenses against God to turn away His wrath and to allow for, but not to include, forgiveness. This is the key to understanding unlimited atonement explained in 1 John 2:2 - Jesus Christ on the cross atoned for all sins of all people, after which forgiveness is separately then provided personally according to 1 John 1:9. - Wikipedia

2. Me4Him

Me4Him New Member

Judging from the above statement, it seems there is confusion on both sides.

Jesus paid the penalty of "death for sin" for the sins of the whole world that the whole world "MIGHT BE" saved,

Because God isn't willing for any to perish, but "ALL" would come to repentance.

No one can question/deny that the law has been fulfilled to the sins of the whole world.

Now that bring us to the question of "MIGHT BE".

What is the missing component that completes the plan of salvation and turns the might be into will be saved??

"FAITH/BELIEF" in Jesus is the missing component.

Many believe God must supply this Faith before it's possible for man to believe,

If that's true, why is it missing from the plan of salvation,

Why does God's will and Jesus's death only create a situation where men might be saved, rather than will be saved???

Man will be Judged according to his belief/unbelief, a choice given to each individual,

The Gospel, being preached to the whole world as a "Witness" is like the cops reading you your right,

"you have the right to believe in Jesus, and be saved,
    You have the right not to believe" and be condemned".

And that witness will appear in court.

An Judge who issues verdicts according to his "predilection", rather than adhering to the law, violates the law.

Of course God is not going to violate his law.

God, in spite of his "predilection" none perish, will still condemn, because the law according to unbelief is issuing the verdict, not God's will.

The defendants have been "read their rights", (preached Gospel) knowing the law of death for sin, have chose to appear in court either innocent (belief) or guilty. (Unbelief)

The will of the court/Jesus is that all be saved, and the law was fulfilled that they "MIGHT BE",

But God's will doesn't over rule man's will or the law in court,

The Judge can not be bias/partial to any individual in his calling or Judgment at the expense of someone else, Jesus died that they all might be saved.

Most Calvinist I know believe Judgment day is a day when God's will of whom he will save is being Judged,

It's not, it's the "Will of man" to believe or not believe that is Judged,

The guilt or innocents of a person rest "Wholly" upon the choice of belief/unbelief of that person.

The will of God none perish is actually over ruled by the Law and man's will on the day of Judgment.

and there is a reason/purpose for it being this way.

3. here now

here now Member

Me 4 Him: The will of God none perish is actually over ruled by the Law and man's will on the day of Judgment.

This is absurd! God's will overruled?.....NEVER!
    When He says that He is not willing that any shall perish, THEN none perishes. He is speaking of His people. The people that Christ came to save.

Stop making God out to be a failure.

4. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

Amen. :thumbs:

5. here now

here now Member

Me4Him: Most Calvinist I know believe Judgment day is a day when God's will of whom he will save is being Judged

This is not a Calvinistic belief. Calvinists would never believe that God's will would be judged....another absurdity.

#105 here now, Apr 3, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2009
  6. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I have never heard a calvinist say that. Never, ever. God isn't being judged on judgement day. Man is.

7. here now

here now Member

Thinkingstuff, I don't understand. Are you telling this to me or are you just stating that you are in agreement with me?

8. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I'm clarifying that I have never heard a Calvinist ever say that God's decisions are being judged on Judgement day. And I'm sure you agree with that so yeah I guess I'm agreeing with you. I think the person you were responding to misrepresented the Calvinist position. I see how they derived that belief about Calvinist but it didn't come from a Calvinist. A Calvinist would never say that. The person derived it from thinking that a Calvinsistic position requires God to take responsibility of his decisions. But it misses the point on what Calvin said about the elect.

9. here now

here now Member

Ok, thanks for clarification.

10. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Calvin believed that before creation God determined the fate of the universe throughout time. Simple logic about the TULIP doctrines places all responsibilty for all decisions upon God, both good and evil. I believe the question/statement about judgment was in that respect.

11. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Like I said I can see how the consept was derived. But a Calvinist would never say that.

12. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh, I've heard defending Predestinarians declare God has even chosen the color of their socks. Tho, I agree a Calvinist would not want to be pinned on a doctrine that would reach "fatalism".

13. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

At least he can handle it, since he is God.

And he holds man responsible for his choices as well. Remember Judas, prophesied long before that he would betray Christ. He had no choice in the matter. But as Jesus said in condemnation, "Woe to the one."

14. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Which is what I'm alluding to with posts 85 and 97.

15. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Isaiah 42:1

16. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

That's referring to Christ. The conversation here is about the election of individuals with reference to salvation, not the reference to Christ as God's chosen one.

17. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

...yet the lion is condemned and shipped off to the zoo for not eating the apple.

18. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I know who it's in reference to. We are in Christ...it's actually quite simple.

19. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

"O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the city that kills the prophets and stones those sent to her! How often I wanted to gather your children together, just as a hen gathers her brood under her wings, and you would not have it! Luke 13:34

20. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

:applause:

That is what I've been saying all along. We are in Christ. That is why we are elected.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.