1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Calvin, the man

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by doulous, Apr 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Reformers and the Theology of the Reformation by William Cunningham.(First published in 1862).

He was not free from error,and is not to be implicitly followed in his interpretation of Scripture,or in his exposition of doctrine. But whether we look to the powers and capacities with which God endowed him, the manner in which he employed them, and the results by which his labours have been followed, -- or to the Christian wisdom,magnanimity,and devotedness,which marked his character,and generally regulated his conduct,there is probably not one among the sons of men,beyond the range of those whom God miraculously inspired by His Spirit,who has stronger claims upon our veneration and gratitude. (p.299)

2. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

A minor point, I know, but that took place, not in a barn, but in a Primitive Methodist chapel in Artillery Street, Colchester, Essex, England (the town where I was born and grew up). Fullerton, in his biography of Spurgeon, wrote:
    The storm prevented him reaching the place of worship to which he was going, and instead he turned into the Primitive Methodist Chapel, Artillery Street, Colchester.
    You can find that at http://www.spurgeon.org/misc/bio2.htm

3. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You're right David. I was mistaken. It was A.M.Toplady at nearly the same age and circumstance who was saved in a barn in the century preceding Spurgeon.

4. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    rippon,

I have the Golden Book & read it every night, along with other books & scripture. Very straight away, clear & concise. Calvin was a very Christ Centered Man.

5. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Out of Curiosity....was it an Arminian Church? I ask because there were Calvinistic Methodist Churches.

Please note the following:
    The movement (Methodism) did not form a separate denomination in England until after John Wesley's death in 1791. Although Wesley and most of his followers were decidedly Arminian in their theological outlook, George Whitefield, Howell Harris,[9] and Selina Hastings (the Countess of Huntingdon) were notable for being Calvinistic Methodists.

6. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    This topic really is not about Baptist theology and Bible study, so it is being closed (at it should have been a year ago.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.