1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Calvinism is a combination of Theological Fatalism and Determinism, or is it?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by humblethinker, Sep 1, 2012.

1. humblethinker

humblethinker Active Member

Yes webdog, it is unbelievable.

And here's something that is interesting:

Philosopher Alan Rhoda states:
    Now, fatalism can be understood as the doctrine that no events have an intermediate chance of occurring. By a 'chance' I mean a single-case objective probability. By an 'intermediate' chance I mean a value between zero and one. If the chance of an event is one, then it is unpreventable--it's guaranteed to happen. If the chance of an event is zero, then its non-occurrence is unpreventable--it's guaranteed not to happen. Fatalism simply says that, for any event, its chance of occurring is either zero or one.
    I maintain that the future is modally open. As contingencies are resolved, the modal changes. Things that were possible may not now be possible. Things that are necessary may not always have been necessary
    .​

In this case, is the OP title question answered affirmatively? Calvinism is theological fatalism and determinism.

Does any Calvinist here deny that Calvinism, in effect, teaches that for any event, its chance of occurring is either zero or one?

2. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

I can't answer for Calvinists since Calvin and I disagree on some things. However as one who believes in the Doctrines of Sovereign Grace I would say that your flirtation with Open Theism has had a deleterious affect on your ability to comprehend what Scripture teaches about the Grace of God.

3. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have no clue as to what your talking about & are driving towards....so, whats your point?

4. humblethinker

Just trying to establish and clarify the state of things. If what I've presented accurately reflects the state of things then that's the main thing I'm concerned about right now.

5. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I will go of line to a PM & help you...

6. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nine pages of shuck and jive, drawing distinctions between the future is fixed by God and the future is fixed by non-God as if that alters the belief we were damned or saved before creation and nothing we do will alter that outcome for ourselves or our loved ones.

So they:

1) Claim the idea does not reflect Calvinism and any claiming it does is ignorant or agenda driven or both.

2) No Calvinist can answer because they all believe different things.

The question is why would folks believe in something they are afraid to explain because it is absurd?

We know exhaustive determinism, God predestines whatsoever comes to pass is unbiblical, making God the author of sin. We know the biblical view is God causes or allows whatsoever comes to pass, thus we make autonomous choices such as to sin, for which we are responsible. This is not rocket science.

7. OldRegular

You are right, it is not rocket science: And the carnal mind will never understand the Sovereign Grace of God!

8. Cypress

Cypress New Member

Oooooh, dats da last stwaw!:BangHead:

9. humblethinker

Is it possible for the non-carnal mind to provide a reason for their belief such that carnal minds could understand? Are you saying that you believe something that is incommunicable and unintelligible? I would be suspicious of such a knowledge especially if it was my knowledge. What is it exactly that is not understood here?

Really, that does seem like the last Trump card to which I'd ever want to resort. Basically your out of cards when you play that one.

10. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OldRegular just did a number one. The question is does he get jellybean?

11. Winman

Winman Active Member

Translation- the Doctrines of Grace are illogical and do not make sense.

12. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    LOL--Qualifier- Only for those with their eyes wide shut & their fingers in their ears.:tongue3:

13. Winman

Winman Active Member

Baloney, Calvinism does not make sense to any rational person. A person has to throw their common sense out the window and allow themselves to be deluded to accept Calvinism.

That is why you claim the carnal mind cannot understand it (Calvinism), because the irrational and illogical cannot be understood.

If you want to delude yourself, that is your right.

14. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    EWF, has posted correctly.You ignore the lasting effects of Adams sin on all men....that is the root of much of your error.You deny it, so you cannot come to truth.

15. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :laugh: Understandably, its only irrational & illogical to those who are (oh sorry, you dont like my analogies)-- however Salvation/DoG theology is what makes perfect sense from my prospective. Guess what...also makes perfect sense to JonathanEdwards, George Whitfield, Cotton Mather, RC Sproul, Alistair Begg, Sinclair Ferguson, Martyn Lloyd-Jones, James Montgomery Boyce,James Petigru Boyce, John Piper, William Carey, John Dagg, William Livingston (NJ Signer of US Constitution) Phil Ryken--Wheaton's eighth president, Murray, Williams, Owen, Melanchthon, Gill, Pink, Ian Paisley, Driscoll, Bunyan, Milton, Grundem, Knox, Hodge, Zwingli, Beza, Gresham, Al Martin, Spurgeon, Samuel Rutherford, MacArthur, Baxter, Boettner, Kuyper, Warfield, C. Gregg Singer, Augustus Toplady (Rock of Ages), Packer, Albert Moeller-SBC, Archibald Alexander-A founding Professor @ Princeton Seminary, John Newton (Oh you know him--ever really listen to the song), Mark Dever, John Winthrop, Ian Murray, Tom Nettles, Tom Ascol, Tim George, John Webster, John Dagg, William Carry, Oh Rushdoony, John Nevin, Gordon Clark, D. James Kennedy....... I could go for tons more. Guess it makes perfect sence to these guys though Right! Guess Im in good company as delusional as we all are :D

But Im going beddie Bye! :smilewinkgrin:

#95 Earth Wind and Fire, Oct 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2012
  16. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

What book is that quoted from? Certainly not the Bible! If your non carnal mind cannot even understand sovereign grace, who are you to question anyone?

17. OldRegular

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

18. Sevenzedek

Sevenzedek New Member

Please receive this post in the love I intend in it.

God's enemies would say the bible contradicts itself because of the following verses. How would you harmonize the fact that a holy God stirs up the nation of Assyria to do wickedly to Israel? No doubt; God will judge Assyria for what He stirred them up to do just as He will judge Satan for what He commanded him to do to Job; and Pilate for what he predetermined for him to do beforehand.

As one who agrees with many of the things that I have read from Calvin, I do not think I need to throw my common sense away. Rather, I see the bible verses displayed below to be in tension.

I submit to you that sorting out the nuanced distinctions of the sovereignty of God with the free will of man is going to take much more than common sense; for His ways are higher than our ways. Call the theological system what they may, but I still can't figure out how I work out my salvation with fear and trembling while God works in me the willing and doing of it at the same time. For me to say that God is 100% sovereign while I choose freely according to my nature is far from throwing away my common-sense. It is just plain old good bible-sense.

Here are those verses.

Isaiah 10:5-7
    O Assyrian, the rod of mine anger,
    and the staff in their hand is mine indignation.
    6 I will send him against an hypocritical nation,
    and against the people of my wrath will I give him a charge,
    to take the spoil, and to take the prey,
    and to tread them down like the mire of the streets.
    7 Howbeit he meaneth not so,
    neither doth his heart think so;
    but it is in his heart to destroy
    and cut off nations not a few.

And...

Leviticus 11:45
    ...be holy, for I am holy.

19. Winman

Winman Active Member

Yes, and Catholic doctrine makes sense to Catholic theologians and Mormon theology makes sense to Mormon theologians, so what?

What matters is if your theology is scriptural, Calvinism is not.

20. Winman

Winman Active Member

What a laugh, you wouldn't know truth if it walked up and introduced itself to you.