1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Calvinism needs to be Redefined

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by icthus, Jun 7, 2005.

1. johnp.

johnp. New Member

Hello icthus.
    We call the elect that is what we do, ISA 55:11 so is my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it. The gospel has to heard, that is the way God has set things up. Consequently, faith comes from hearing the message, and the message is heard through the word of Christ. Romans 10:17.
    That's the way it is. He didn't want to just click His fingers but works through cause and effect. He will not convert a man that has not heard His word. That's the way it is.
    Depends on what you mean by repentance. In this case it would mean to turn from towards God. Whoever believes that Jesus died for their sins they are saved. Whoever does not believe is not saved. And that depends on elect or not elect.
    But you can't say we have no faith man! :cool: We believe in Jesus Christ don't you know? :cool:
    Those He elected to salvation He calls and justifies and glorifies and they have no say but say yes only because it is God that is Sovereign and one can only do what the Sovereign decrees should be done. What is it you say then, that it does not matter what we do because He saves children does He not? What's a fetus do then? But you must deny the original sin.
    It is impossible to be unelected if you are elected of course. :cool: Deselected you mean? Does God repent of His choices?

john.

2. icthus

icthus New Member

John, so if it is not possible to become unelected, the the elect who have been elected before the foundation of the world, in eternity past, for the purpose of salvation in Jesus Christ, will so come to Jesus, and nothing can stop this since God has predetermined it. If this is the case, then I see no point in preaching the Gospel, as the elect will be saved anyway, since they are alreday elected. This is against what the Bible teaches, and has to be seen as heresy.

3. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    There you have it folks! Arminians "see no point in preaching the Gospel." In other words, they see no point in obeying God. They see no point in obeying Christ. They see no point in obeying the Great Commission. They see no point in obeying the Great Commandment.

I get the point!

4. icthus

icthus New Member

No Cassidy. My response it to the unbiblical doctrine that Calvinism teaches called "Predestination". This form of it is not found in Scripture.

5. johnp.

johnp. New Member

Hello icthus.
    That is so. He also predetermined all the events that lead up to it as well as all the steps we take forever.
    That is true for individuals to think that but there are others in the Church who God gives obedience to and a 'love for' to as well as believe that if God wants to save by hearing the word He is able to raise up someone to do the job. He does not give all of us the same gifts. :cool: Don't knock those who say they do not need to, they are prevented by God because if God wants them out there that's where they would be because He would give them obedience. Personal experience. I'm with Jonah meself but I saw what happened to him. I thought that I might become a Christian if I moved to where no one knew me. HaHa! I was embarrassed! After He came and blew my mind I was no longer shy and searched out a Church with an outreach team. It wasn't me that changed me.
    Yes you are right it is seen as a heresy by the Roman Catholic Church if I'm not mistaken. It is seen as heresy by Arminians that believe they have to understand before they do as they are told! :cool:

I wear it as a badge anathema but it has never been declared a heresy by any Church council has it? Never. Pelagianism and semi-Pelagianism has been though hasn't it? Everytime it attacks. Go with your company I'll go with mine.

john.

6. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

God has not only chosen people for salvation, but them means that they will come to that salvation and that is the proclamation of the Gospel.

7. Wes Outwest

Wes Outwest New Member

God has not only chosen people for salvation, but them means that they twill come to that salvation and that is the proclamation of the Gospel. </font>[/QUOTE]Does that include those not on "the elect" list that just happened to be strolling by when the apostles were gathered, and the Holy Spirit descended upon them as tongues of flame, who confessed Jesus on the spot? Oh, you say, they were elected to do so?
    There were three thousand elect that just happened to be in the hearing range of Peter's voice? Hmmm, let's see, if three thousand became believers that day, there must have been over 10,000 who were in the sound of Peter's voice. Even 3 out of 10 is a very high ratio of converts to Christianity out of an audience that was reputed to be hostile toward the Christ. That's what I'd call a dense-pack audience. Without modern PA loudspeakers, no man today can be heard by 10,000 people simultaneously. Why should we think that actually happened then in the place where the hostility against the Christ actually came to fruition?

Do I believe that 3000 came to believe in Jesus? Yes, I absolutely do! Were they all on "the elect" list? NO, I don't agree with that! They were ordinary men who heard the word of God given by, not only Peter but the rest of the Apostles as well, and they believed! If their belief grew into Faith in God, then they all received Salvation. If they believed that day, then fell away later, they did not receive God's salvation!

8. Bob Krajcik

Bob Krajcik New Member

icthus,

You see no reason for preaching the gospel based on your false understanding of these matters. The Bible itself commands the gospel be preached, and is that not enough for you?

The Bible says preach. Have you not heard?

You are the one saying "no reason to preach" therefore, you brought heresy by saying you see no reason to preach he gospel.

9. Bob Krajcik

Bob Krajcik New Member

They believed, therefore they had faith. Faith is a gift of God (John 1:13; 6:28-29; Acts 13:48; 18:27; Rom 3:22; 9:16, 18, 22; 10:17; 12:3; Gal 2:16,20; 5:22; Eph 1:19; 2:8; Phil 1:29; Heb 12:2; Tit 3:5), fruit of the Spirit wrought in man by the operation of God. There is no faith, unless a man is first born again, of the Spirit of God. There is no fruit of the Spirit apart from the Spirit. (The interested reader should study the Scriptures referenced)

Salvation is of the Lord.

By grace,
    Bob Krajcik
    Mansfield, Ohio

10. Wes Outwest

Wes Outwest New Member

Bob K,
    OK! I have read them in their context which follows, so what is your point? Prove it to us all with Scriptures IN CONTEXT!

11. icthus

icthus New Member

Bob, you say:

"icthus,

You see no reason for preaching the gospel based on your false understanding of these matters. The Bible itself commands the gospel be preached, and is that not enough for you?

The Bible says preach. Have you not heard?

You are the one saying "no reason to preach" therefore, you brought heresy by saying you see no reason to preach he gospel. "

I most certainly see every reason for the Gospel to be preached, as there are very many souls that are in great need to be saved!

My argument is against the Calvinistic misunderstanding on "Predestination", where they falsly assume, that the "destiny" of some, namely "the elect", as already been determined. This was supposidly done in eternity past. If this is true, and only the elect will ever be saved, the it is pointless to preach the Gospel, since the elect will be saved anyway. This also follows from the argeument, that, if there are elect persons in some remote part of the world, where they never hear the Gospel, and then were to die, they will be saved. Or, will these "elect" not be saved, since they did not believe? If this is the case, the what was their "election" before the foundation of the world for? It is my contention. That, since Scripture plainly commands that we share the Gospel with everyone without exception. That this is exactly what God intenede, that everyone without exception, can be saved, because Christ had made provision in His Atonement for these. Not as the Calvinist says, that He only made provision for the elect.

12. OCC

OCC Guest

Calvinism redefined: twisted Scripture and faulty logic. An evil "god" who needs His little Calvinists to make excuses for Him just like all Calvinists do.

Example of an excuse: God is sovereign and man cannot thwart His plan...God predetermines all things...but He's not responsible for man's sin. Yeah...uh huh.

13. rc

rc New Member

KJ... it's o.k. I understand... No good theology schools in Canada..... it's called concurrence....Those aren't excuses either, it's called proper, orthodox theology. You want free will go ahead ... join the heretics... Long live Dort !

14. johnp.

johnp. New Member

Hello Sire.

Why King James King James? Is that really your name? My wife knew a Tressa Green at her school.

Some parents! :cool:

john

15. OCC

OCC Guest

LOL..you call me a heretic yet you follow a twisted distortion of God. One more close to the devil than Christ.

I don't appreciate your condescension nor your uninformed OPINION of theology schools in Canada. You can keep your theology schools and "Dort" and I will keep the Bible and the true Christ...thank you very much. Oh by the way...your "unloving" but typical Calvinist comment shows the lack of godly fruit resulting from Calvinism. But it's ok...I understand...you can't help it. God pre-ordained you to be that way.

Oh...and yes...they are excuses.

16. OCC

OCC Guest

LOL John...no that's not my name. I just think it sounds cool.

17. johnp.

johnp. New Member

Hello icthus.
    What? We don't believe that 'predestination' mean to be predestined do we? How stupid of us I can see where we err now. Thanks man for letting us know that 'predestination' does not mean to predestine and for showing us how dark it is in your part of London.

He predestined us now should read He did not predestine us.

john.

18. rc

rc New Member

I'm not calling you a herertic, just all the chruch fathers. Men who knew the Bible alot better than you or I.

God gave us great teachers to learn from and to not forget our past. Righteousness does not live in a land of forgetfulness, so don't forget Dort. Or go back to the free will, man centered, Roman Catholic church who loves it's free-will, secular humanistic philosophy who's upsidedown theology started the reformation in the first place. Long live Dort! Long live the Solae !

19. OCC

OCC Guest

So you expect me to trust the words of John Calvin, a murderer? not gonna happen. And the Catholic church called us all heretics, what's your point? I don't care what some past teacher has to call me, I care what Christ calls me. Now who's beliefs are founded on man? Huh?

You better get your history right if you think "free will" started the Reformation. You can keep Dort! I'll keep the Bible. [​IMG] It's amazing the caustic and harsh words you have to describe someone who just believes that Jesus loves them and wills that all would be saved. You make God an evil tyrant. and you do it of your own "free will".

20. rc

rc New Member

Boy are you confused. "Free Will" in the Catholic Church, "Yes".

You keep on saying God WILLS all would be saved. Do you mean God's Will, which He does perfectly, and completely is being thwarted? I think you are taking that verse out of context. ...Well, I know you are taking it out of context. And I'm not trusting in the words of Calvin either. If you knew anything about the subject, he didn't write that much on the subject anyhow.

What do you think Dort was? A bunch of guys looking at the teachings of Calvin and judging according to what he wrote on the matter? Try over 300 theologians for over 3 months slaving at the scriptures to search for truth. And truth tends to unify. Hence, they condemned the "free willers" to heresy and to stop them from preaching at the pulpits, because it was "historically" and "theologically" heretical.

You just trust your Bible huh? How bout where it says God gifted and gave teachers? And to through out the dividers (heretics, false teachers)? Oh yeah, you and your Bible are above them. Remember this verse also, "There's a way that SEEMS right onto a man, and the ends thereof are death".

Don't trust those guys huh? Are you reading the Apocrypha? Or the gospel of Thomas? Bartholomew? Or the other 2 thousand other letters that were rejected for canonization by the same MEN you claim you will not trust?

Funny how you won't trust them on a doctrine in the Bible, but you will trust them on WHAT IS the Bible! Ha !