1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Calvinistic trend in the SBC

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Dale-c, Nov 29, 2007.

1. PK

PK New Member

So answer this question. Why did God have to put the angel with a flaming sword outside the garden after he DROVE Adam and Eve out? Maybe because they had the free will and the desire to go back to where they met with God on a daily basis?

2. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Probably since if He had not, they would have gone back in.
    Seems pretty obvious to me.
    What does this prove or disprove?

3. reformedbeliever

reformedbeliever New Member

Of course people make choices... no Calvinist I know denies that. Is that what you mean by free will? They may have the desire, and even choose to go back, but God still sovereignly prevents them from doing so huh? Seems as if God gets what He wills.

4. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

And He almost always uses normal means to accomplish that.
    He uses the preaching of the Gospel to draw men to salvation.
    He uses the work and sweat of a mans brow to provide for his family.

5. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

This is from the London Baptist Confession:

6. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Here is the chapter on free will:

7. PK

PK New Member

If people in Noahs days were all part of the "non chosen", then why preach the powerful gospel for 120 years? The ark was created big enough for more than just his family and a few animals. People rejected God!!

8. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

You avoided my question.
    Why did you choose and others rejected?

As for Noah, because GOd commands us to preach to all.
    But God gives the increase.

9. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I hope we don't get sidetracked into a lengthy, and pointless, discussion about Calvinism vs. other views. This thread is a good one particularly about the nature of a convention like the SBC.

As I already said, I'm a "big tent" SBCer. I believe that as a convention we are better because of the Calvinists, Arminian, Dispensational, Covenant, and other evangelical theological viewpoints. I just don't understand why we have to keep narrowing the parameters of fellowship, it doesn't make sense to me and hurts the Kingdom of God.

One of the great things about the SBC, and one of the reasons I am a Southern Baptist, is our firm belief in cooperative missions and autonomy of the local church. My issue with movement against certain forms of perfectly acceptable evangelicalism in the SBC is that it seems to stifle the work of advancing God's Kingdom. I absolutely love to fellowship with my brethren from divergent theological walks. It is truly a special time during meetings to talk with them about their respective passions for evangelism, missions, and church life. Why would we want to drive out faithful members who give and go generously over some minor theological variance that is just as legitimate as others?

It truly troubles one that we have to check a box or affirm a set of peripherial doctrines in order to serve in a home denomination. Perhaps the most challenging in all of this is the movement to marginalizing faithful churches who don't want to play the political games from being able to contribute in a larger, more meaningful way.

I have plenty of brothers and sisters faithfully serving Christ in Bible believing, mission sending, cooperative program supporting Baptist churches that happen to read a few passage a bit differently than others. So long as we agree on the essentials of theology and doctrinal distinctives, why get distracted and devalue their legitimate ministry in light of a few (fairly) minor issues?

What value to God's Kingdom does rushing out faithful ministries serve?

10. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

There is a balance between condoning false doctrine and causing division.
    i fellowship with many people with differing views.
    I have many different types of baptists as friends as well as Presbyterian and Lutheran, even one good friend who is the youth pastor at an Independent Christian church.

It is good to remember that this is a forum for discussing doctrinal differences.
    It is also good to remember that we should all work to further the cause of Christ.
    And work together whenever possible.

11. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

Hoooah to the SBC getting more calvinist again. :thumbs: :jesus: :thumbs:

12. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I personally would be more excited about baptists becoming more extroverted in sharing the Gospel than learning a new theological viewpoint.

13. reformedbeliever

Well Jesus is excited about us going and making disciples. Do you know what that involves? Teaching... theology. Do you know who has the greatest missions program in the world? Or is it really that you are not excited that what you call false theology or false doctrine is on the upswing in the SBC?

14. reformedbeliever

Are you speaking for yourself here or others? What missions programs are you involved in? How do you personally spread the Gospel? Seriously, i'm asking.

15. dan e.

dan e. New Member

I agree.

Acknowledgment to a certain point of view is unfortunately seen as the qualifier of your spiritual life......to a dangerous degree, IMO.

#55 dan e., Dec 3, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2007
  16. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

Some folks are just anti-calvinists.

17. dan e.

dan e. New Member

Not me. :thumbs:

Although I like to poke at those who get their feathers ruffled over silly things, like someone else not agreeing with them on the 5 points....gasp!

#57 dan e., Dec 3, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2007
  18. dan e.

dan e. New Member

Sometimes I wonder if we're experiencing a modern day "scholasticism", in that there is so much emphasis on acknowledging a system of thought over anything else.

19. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

What is a disciple, rb? Is it someone who places the ins and outs of God into a systematic theology? What part of my post doesn't allude to discipleship?

Am I excited when a pastor during the course of a sermon states to compare our salvation experience to Romans 9? Of course not. That's promoting a man made theological view and NOT correct exegesis of Scripture!

20. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

BINGO! And hence the reason the SBC is becoming more calvinistic. Scripture isn't being mainly taught unbiasedly, but how that Scripture fits into the calvinistic mold.