1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Calvin's Amillennialism and Infant Baptism

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by DrJamesAch, May 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Winman

Winman Active Member

This very short video sums up my answer to this post.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m30mG3JKzA8

2. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
  3. Winman

Winman Active Member

4. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Check this out Winman:
    This is from the arminian baptist.....I found these points interesting-

Why would the congregation ...remain clueless two years into the mans ministry???They must really know their bibles!

5. Winman

Winman Active Member

You are correct, must believers do not really know their Bible or they would reject Calvinism immediately.

I reject Calvinism, but I ALWAYS show scripture that refutes it. Truth is, I have only shown a few scriptures that refute Calvinism, I could literally show thousands, but that would be overkill. If you will not listen to 20 or 30 verses that clearly refute Calvinism, then you certainly aren't going to listen to hundreds or thousands.

You would not even understand how many of the scriptures I show you refutes Calvinism, because your mind is blinded by false doctrine. For instance, I will show you scripture that Calvinists quote every day to attempt to prove Calvinism, but in reality they clearly refute it.

Rom 3:12 They are all gone out of the way, they are together become unprofitable; there is none that doeth good, no, not one.

Calvinsts quote this scripture all the time to attempt to prove Total Inability, but it refutes your doctrine.

Notice the words, "gone out". You can not go out of something unless you are originally in something. For instance, you can not go out of your house unless you are first IN your house. But, because your mind is blinded by false doctrine, you completely overlook these words.

Notice next the word "become". Here Paul is repeating Psalm 14 where it says we have "become filthy". This shows a process, that we were first clean and then became filthy or unprofitable.

If you were born rich, would you tell someone you "became" rich? No.

If you were born poor, but worked diligently and acquired wealth, would you tell anyone you "became" rich? YES.

So, the scripture you quote to prove your doctrine actually in truth refutes your doctrine, but your mind has been conditioned to overlook this.

Isa 64:6 But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away.

Again, scripture quoted by Calvinists to attempt to prove Total Inability which actually refutes it.

No piece of clothing starts out as a filthy rag, all clothing is clean and without tears to begin with. You overlook this.

It is spring, have you noticed the new leaves on the trees? What color are they?

All leaves begin green and alive, there is no such thing as a new leaf being faded and dead.

This scripture proves we are born alive and upright. We start out like new clothing that is clean and not torn, we start out like a fresh new green leaf, but our sins soil and rip our clothing, and cause our leaf to wither, turn brown and die.

But you overlook all this because you have been blinded by false doctrine. You have been shown, so now you have no excuse.

#105 Winman, May 25, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2013
  6. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Winman
    [
    [/QUOTE]
    Winman,
    you missed this verse as usual because you are tossed to and fro....

it is speaking about how men lack the righteousness of God...the "rag" is in reality ...the menstrual rag of a woman on her monthly cycle...literally:thumbs: it is not about how we start fresh:wavey:

Your agenda again betrays you as you never studied this verse:thumbs:

7. Winman

Winman Active Member

Well, as you drive your truck around, you look at all the fresh green leaves on the trees.

There is none so blind as those who refuse to see.

8. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    This is speaking of going on to judgement;
    Unless God has mercy, we perish;
    New International Version (©2011)
    All of us have become like one who is unclean, and all our righteous acts are like filthy rags; we all shrivel up like a leaf, and like the wind our sins sweep us away.

New Living Translation (©2007)
    We are all infected and impure with sin. When we display our righteous deeds, they are nothing but filthy rags. Like autumn leaves, we wither and fall, and our sins sweep us away like the wind.

English Standard Version (©2001)
    We have all become like one who is unclean, and all our righteous deeds are like a polluted garment. We all fade like a leaf, and our iniquities, like the wind, take us away.

New American Standard Bible (©1995)
    For all of us have become like one who is unclean, And all our righteous deeds are like a filthy garment; And all of us wither like a leaf, And our iniquities, like the wind, take us away.

King James Bible (Cambridge Ed.)
    But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away.

Holman Christian Standard Bible (©2009)
    All of us have become like something unclean, and all our righteous acts are like a polluted garment; all of us wither like a leaf, and our iniquities carry us away like the wind.

International Standard Version (©2012)
    All of us have become like one who is unclean, and all our righteous acts are like a filthy rag; we all shrivel up like a leaf, and like the wind, our iniquities sweep us away.

NET Bible (©2006)
    We are all like one who is unclean, all our so-called righteous acts are like a menstrual rag in your sight. We all wither like a leaf; our sins carry us away like the wind.

GOD'S WORD® Translation (©1995)
    We've all become unclean, and all our righteous acts are like permanently stained rags. All of us shrivel like leaves, and our sins carry us away like the wind.

King James 2000 Bible (©2003)
    But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away.

American King James Version

American Standard Version
    For we are all become as one that is unclean, and all our righteousnesses are as a polluted garment: and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, take us away.

Douay-Rheims Bible
    And we are all become as one unclean, and all our justices as the rag of a menstruous woman: and we have all fallen as a leaf, and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away.

Darby Bible Translation
    And we are all become as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all fade as a leaf, and our iniquities, like the wind, have carried us away;

English Revised Version
    For we are all become as one that is unclean, and all our righteousnesses are as a polluted garment: and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, take us away.

Webster's Bible Translation

World English Bible
    For we have all become as one who is unclean, and all our righteousness is as a polluted garment: and we all fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, take us away.

Young's Literal Translation
    And we are as unclean -- all of us, And as a garment passing away, all our righteous acts; And we fade as a leaf -- all of us. And our iniquities as wind do take us away.
    Matthew Henry's Concise Commentary

64:6-12 The people of God, in affliction, confess and bewail their sins, owning themselves unworthy of his mercy. Sin is that abominable thing which the Lord hates. Our deeds, whatever they may seem to be, if we think to merit by them at God's hand, are as rags, and will not cover us; filthy rags, and will but defile us. Even our few good works in which there is real excellence, as fruits of the Spirit, are so defective and defiled as done by us, that they need to be washed in the fountain open for sin and uncleanness. It bodes ill when prayer is kept back. To pray, is by faith to take hold of the promises the Lord has made of his good-will to us, and to plead them; to take hold of him, earnestly begging him not to leave us; or soliciting his return. They brought their troubles upon themselves by their own folly. Sinners are blasted, and then carried away, by the wind of their own iniquity; it withers and then ruins them. When they made themselves as an unclean thing, no wonder that God loathed them.

Jamieson-Fausset-Brown Bible Commentary

6. unclean thing—legally unclean, as a leper. True of Israel, everywhere now cut off by unbelief and by God's judgments from the congregation of the saints.

righteousness—plural, "uncleanness" extended to every particular act of theirs, even to their prayers and praises. True of the best doings of the unregenerate (Php 3:6-8; Tit 1:15; Heb 11:6).

filthy rags—literally, a "menstruous rag" (Le 15:33; 20:18; La 1:17).

fade … leaf—(Ps 90:5, 6).

9. Winman

Winman Active Member

Well, you just look real close at all those leaves as you drive around this week, and see what God tells you. :thumbsup:

10. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I will be driving through Minnesota,North Dakota,and into Montana, tommorow..so i might not see many leaves,lol.....alot of farms,cows, and then some mountains,and valleys...maybe pine trees...lol

Do not fear Winman....

11. Winman

Winman Active Member

Oh, I think you already know what you will see.

12. Winman

Winman Active Member

Oh, by the way, I used to drive trucks when I was a young man, not the big rigs like you, but cutaways. 5 speed if I remember correctly. I used to drive all over Florida, but I would always get home at night. I did that for a year or two. I enjoyed it, but my back and neck did not.

13. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I have under achieved in life,and to an extent have reaped what I sowed.Thankfully God in His providence gives many opportunities for gospel discussion with all manner of persons that come into my path.
    I have had some back issues,requiring steroid injections in order to be able to continue.I believe the prayers of several in My Home church have sustained me.
    The back and forth on BB....helps keep me sharp in dealing with the unsaved,and cultists that I meet daily ,and God has given several great openings that I would not have had with my other jobs.

14. Winman

Winman Active Member

There is absolutely nothing wrong with being a truck driver. Truck drivers drive the American economy, it is truck drivers that accounts for America's great efficiency in delivering products. It is amazing actually. The reason communist countries fail is because they do not know how to get food from the farm to the grocery store before it rots.

So, pride is not good, but you are performing a VITAL service. There is nothing to be ashamed in any honest work.

Thank God for truck drivers! :thumbsup:

15. DrJamesAch

DrJamesAch New Member

16. DrJamesAch

DrJamesAch New Member

Nope

I don't base my theology or dispensationalism on whether some academic scholar agrees or disagrees. The truth of the Bible does not depend on whether 500 people agree with dispensational truth, and 499 do not. If those scholars looked at the issue more carefully, if they have even considered it at all, they would realize that dispensationalism is NOT theology any more than hermenuetics is theology. Theology by definition (Theo logos) is the study of God, not HOW to study God. The conclusion is the theology, how you got there is not.

Yes I have read "City of God" and many of his other writings which is why some of us Non Cals have consistently stated that Calvinism, particularly when it comes to amellenialism is based on Augy.

You are still obfuscating the issues. If God's intent and determination is to restore the new world exactly as the first, that still does not tell us what is going to occur in between to get us there, and Revelation does.
    It doesn't HAVE to be physical, BUT IT IS because the word of God SAYS SO. It should be as simple as that unless you allegorize the entire Bible. If you interpret the Bible allegorically, is there ever a time when is it interpreted literally. You could say Jesus didn't literally die on a cross, it was just a figure of speech to demonstrate suffering. You could he didn't literally raise from the dead (which some actually teach) but that it was only figurative.

Which brings up a crucial point: Did Jesus die physically and literally? and did He raise from the dead, physically and literally? If you answer yes to both of the above, then how do you justify what you interpret literally, and what you interpret allegorically? There must be an objective and concrete rule of interpretation of everything is merely subjective including how anyone interprets whatever YOU say.

So in other words, when Jesus said that He must be delivered into the hands of man and be crucified, that was literal (perhaps, at this point I don't even know if you believe THAT), but when He said hereafter you shall SEE the Son of Man coming in the clouds of heaven, that was figurative?

Did Babylon really fall or not? Was Babylon a real place that is now currently Iraq, or was Babylon merely figurative since it is actually used in a figurative sense in Revelation 17-18 to describe Rome? Was there ever REALLY a Babylon and was Nebechadnezzar REALLY a king?
    No it is not an "allusion" to Daniel 7:13 any more than Jesus ascension into heaven was an illusion.

The disciples asked the question in Acts 1, "When they therefore were come together, they asked of him, saying, Lord, wilt thou at this time restore again the kingdom to Israel?:

Notice the question:

1. At this time which shows that the kingdom was NOT in effect when Jesus ascended
    2. It was in fact the KINGDOM that was being referred to
    3. And it was the kingdom TO ISRAEL

After that Jesus ascended and the angel said "why stand ye gazing up into heaven? this same Jesus, which is taken up from you into heaven, shall so come in like manner as ye have seen him go into heaven" Acts 1:11

The return of Christ will be "IN LIKE MANNER as ye have SEEN HIM GO". In Revelation 1:7, they see HIS PIERCED SIDE. Why go through all the details of WHAT THEY WILL SEE if it was only figurative?

If you hold to a future of ANY sort, then you are a dispensationalist. That is a fact that anti-dispensationlist refuse to admit. Once Jesus returns and causes a change in economies, you are holding to at least one dispensational position.

I have said in the introduction forum that I don't care what you call me. Iconoclast regular just says "ACH" and that's fine with me. It's a forum name. Why do you use "Greektim" if that's not YOUR real name?
    I don't list my school location because of something that happened to my brother and law's wife and son, and the brother of a friend of mine who (when the friend was the actual target, not the brother) who were all murdered as a result of information obtained from where I went to school. My dissertation was on Preterism (60 pages). I did not publish it (for obvious reasons stated above) but will scan it and put it online eventually.

17. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Here is exactly where he got his degree.

http://almedauniversity.org/credentialing/phd-programs.html

Notice the rigorous academic standards.

18. HeirofSalvation

HeirofSalvation Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Where did John Calvin's Doctorate in Theology come from?

19. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Though education in his day was different than ours:

Collège de Montaigu (philosophy)
    University of Orléans (law)
    University of Bourges (law and classics)

These were only among the top schools in Europe of the time.

20. DrJamesAch

DrJamesAch New Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.