1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Can anyone recommend an online Bachelors Degree

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by AlexL, Jan 24, 2007.

1. AlexL

AlexL New Member

Hi

I am emailing from Australia. I attend an independent fundamental baptist church and I am trying to look for a good online degree - something that will give me a good grounding in biblical studies and ministry. I work full time, which is why I need to do an online degree and need to be able to do it from Australia.

I already have two degrees (in accounting and law), but I guess I need to still start with a bachelors. The reason I want to do this is to get a thorough study from the Word of God, and prepare myself to serve in the future.

Can anyone recommend a good degree (not too expensive) from a good fundamental baptist college?

I have seen the Carolina Baptist College (Macedonia Baptist College) brochure and it looks interesting - does anyone have any experience?

I saw the West Coast online one, but when i checked out the church I got put off by the 'social club' aspect (actually I was shocked they were endorsing/offering a cruise to Alaska!).

There are so many colleges, but so few fundamental baptist ones offering online/distance learning degrees. I hope someone can help.

Thanks
    Alex

2. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Why not go ahead and go to seminary? Liberty University (www.liberty.edu) has master's degree programs online. They also have Bachelor programs as well.

3. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I've got to chime in with Tom here. I'd go for the Seminary degree not another bachelors. IMHO (don't anyone dare snicker about my opinion being humble ;) )

4. thjplgvp

thjplgvp Member

Alex,

They don't get any more Independent Fundamental Baptist than West Coast. I laughed when I read your post:laugh: concerning W.C. Thinking surely you are not from the good old U.S.of A.

thjplgvp

5. thjplgvp

thjplgvp Member

Alex I went to the West Coast site and saw nothing about a cruise to Alaska in either the activities section or social life not that I would be against it, I am just curious.

Can you post the web address where you got the info?

thjplgvp

6. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Liberty has residency requirements, though.

Luther Rice Seminary www.lru.edu offers an MDiv entirely by distance.

7. AlexL

AlexL New Member

Thanks...

Thanks for some of the responses. I will check some of them out and get back to you!

I thought that I have to have a bachelors in theology/divinity etc before i can go for a masters. Can I do a Mdiv directly with two law degrees?

BTW, the website with the alaska cruise is the church linked to west coast - http://www.lancasterbaptist.org/. I guess it shocked my sensibilities - it seems so unnecessarily extravagant and catering to worldly activities.

Thanks
    Alex

8. thjplgvp

thjplgvp Member

Alex it is highly unlikely that Dr. Don Sisk, Dr. R B Ouellette and Dr. David Gibbs Jr will be worldly. Also having lived in California for 20 years I can tell you this vacation would be a lot less worldly then Sea World, Disneyland, Magic Mountain especially since it is hosted by Lancaster Baptist.

Also you misrepresented the school when you tied the cruise in with student activities this is a church wide adult retreat. Perhaps they don't do these things "down under" but it is a fairly common practice among some of the larger churches in the U.S.A.

Thjplgvp

9. Carolina Baptist

Carolina Baptist Active Member

I think that this is the website for the school http://cbc-kjv.org/. Some BB members with more experience should be able to advise you better than I can. I noticed that several of the instructors graduated from their own school and two of them are sons of the founder.

I attended to a few classes there. I was not impressed.

10. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    An MDiv does not require any particular bachelor's degree. A BA/BS in any subject is sufficient for admission.

11. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Stefan Response to above

Stefan,

Does LR have an MDiv w/Biblical Languages ENTIRELY ON-LINE?

Help me here. There has been discussion in the past here on this one on the BB.

I for one would like to know.

sdg!:thumbsup:

rd

12. AlexL

AlexL New Member

I have checked out Luther Rice and Liberty and they have interesting (though rather expensive) Mdiv. I have to admit, I had never heard of either of them. Are they well known in USA? The only one that is really known here is Bob Jones and Hyles-Anderson, neither of which have online degrees.

I don't understand the american system. When it says 90 credit hours, how long does that take? The websites do not say either.

Sorry to ask seemingly silly questions...

13. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

A normal credit hour (USA - sorry, only kind I know) is usually considered to be 50 minutes of class time for an 18 week period (semester) as a resident student. A 90 credit hour program would normally take three years (six semesters) on campus, at an average of 15 credit hours per semester. How that might translate into on-line equivalency is something I cannot tell you. And others are correct as to any legitimate bachelor's being the necessary pre-requisite for an MDiv, MRE, or MABS, although the latter two were not addressed in the thread. And in fact, should your law degree be beyond a basic undergraduate bachelor's, you might be able to shorten the needed hours by a few, at that, as to 'prerequisites', depending on the institution. Just don't expect to get credit for half or anything like that at a 'legit' institution, but you might be able to have maybe 6-12 or so considered 'fulfilled', or alternatively, might be able to substitute some desired 'electives' in any case, depending on the Seminary major, especially if you were to concentrate in, say, apologetics, for example, in your case.

You might also check out some other seminaries, including Southern Evangelical, Mid-America, Southern Baptist (Louisville) and Western Baptist (Portland, OR), as well as Luthur Rice and Liberty. I do not know about the specific on-line programs, if any, of any, but all are completely 'legit', and I think all have at least some 'Distance Education' offerings.

Hope this helps.

Ed

#13 EdSutton, Jan 25, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2007
  14. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Couple of more points. Not attempting to 'sound' judgmental, but I'd suggest there are some differences in quality between most schools, and I would personally rate Bob Jones well above Hyles-Anderson, for example. And the listing of the seminaries I offered previously is not intended to disparage several other very good ones, as well. If you are embarking on this venture this year, I would personally avoid one institution, namely New Orleans Baptist Seminary, which I did not name. The reason is not that they are not a good institution, for they in fact are an excellent institution, but merely because they are still digging out, and recovering from the damage caused by Hurricane Katrina. Give them another year, and I would remove that caveat, as well. Why unnecessarily get caught up in the shuffle, as they try and get back to normal. Pray for them this year; attend next year, all other things being equal. Again, hope this helps.

And your questions are not "seemingly silly", but honest, IMO, which is why I took the time to compose these 'answers'.

Ed

#14 EdSutton, Jan 25, 2007
  15. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Everything I have heard from them says so. When I spoke on the phone with the Assistant to the President, he said that the MDiv can be done completely online. I haven't heard directly from LRU that the languages are offered online, but I've heard it on the BB.

16. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==I just looked at their website and I was not the least bit impressed. First there is the KJV-Only thing. Then there is their "Biblical" dress code (no shorts, tank tops, etc). The school is also not an academic institution. They want everyone to agree with them and, if you don't, you can still attend but you better just keep your mouth shut. Also their "instructors" have degrees from Andersonville, Faith, Bethany, and Covington. I did not see one person with a degree from Southeastern, Luther Rice, Liberty, Dallas, or any school like that. In short, stay away from that school!

To the OP:

If you already have undergraduate degrees don't spend your time getting another one. If you work through a seminary program (online) at Liberty or Luther Rice you will still get a good foundation to build from.

17. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==Liberty Seminary will allow you to "break-up" your MDiv degree. You can first earn a 45-hour MA/R degree then, when you are ready, you can fold that directly into your MDiv degree (another 45 hrs). Your academic advisor would help you set up a program that would allow you to do this. At the end you have two graduate degrees (MA and MDiv). As far as price, I think they are about as cheap as it gets. Liberty will allow you to do one class at a time or more (depending upon your needs). They may also have a payment program but you will have to ask them about that. Don't turn away from a program like Liberty simply because it may cost a bit more.

Liberty offers their MA/R online and certain concentrations of their MDiv program online.

==In Christian circles yes, they are both very well known. I believe Liberty University is the largest evangelical Christian university in the world. Also many "popular" preachers, you may have heard of, have earned degrees from Luther Rice. I don't know but I think Charles Stanley is on in Australia? He earned two degrees from Luther Rice.

==It will depend upon how many classes you attempt at one time. Like I said Liberty will allow you to take two or three at a time. Other schools will only allow you to take one at a time. Liberty also allows you to work, pretty much, at your own pace with set deadlines. However they have started an 8-week format. I don't know how that works though since they started that after I graduated. The purpose of the 8-week option is to help students earn their degree sooner rather than later. When I worked really hard on my studies, I could finish a class in about two months. I usually did two classes at a time. I would start a class, and when I got half way through, then I would start a second class, etc. So I was always starting a class and finishing a class. That system worked well "for me". I also was working full-time during that period as well. I would get home from work (around 5pm), eat something, watch some news, and then hit the books. I had a schedule I followed that had me working on the newer class on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Friday's, and the class I was finishing up on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays.

The only down side about Liberty is they don't offer languages online. So if you do need languages that maybe a problem. Luther Rice does offer languages. Either way you need to make sure that degrees from these schools are honored in Australia (accreditation, etc). A PLUS with Liberty is that you can set your program up so that you never have to come to America and find your way to little old Lynchburg Virginia and then, once you arrive, try to figure out their street layout. O, it is a headache!! At least for me anyway. I get lost in Lynchburg like, well, very easily.

Liberty Theological Seminary

#17 Martin, Jan 25, 2007
  18. AlexL

AlexL New Member

Thanks

Thanks for your posts, I am now looking into all the seminaries mentioned.

Just out of interest, Martin mentioned about doing a course online. How much time did you really spend when you studied. Were the exams particularly difficult?

Also, I have recently moved to Australia and I am not a member of the church I attend (they have unclear ideas on membership and seem even reluctant to have any new members - go figure!), will it be okay to get recommendations from my previous church and pastor.

I wonder if Liberty is a better bet because I just found out that my previous pastor is good friends with and used to work with Jerry Falwell in the USA and all his children were sent to Liberty for university.

Thanks
    Alex

19. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==As I said, I did the seminary program at Liberty Seminary (not undergrad). The time spent studying and the difficulty of the exams really depended upon the course. For example I took a course called "The Doctrine of God" and just sailed right through it. However other courses such as New Testament Introduction and Old Testament Inroduction were much harder. So like almost any school it depends upon the course/instructor (etc). The instructor I had for NT Intro, online, was very tough. He would take off points on tests/papers for little things. Once he took several points off of a paper of mine because I went one paragraph over his "limit" without first asking permission. From that point on I went at least one page over his limit on every paper in that class but I made sure I got his permission first each time. :laugh: Yes, some classes require alot of papers (etc). On most classes you get dvd lectures to go along with your reading, researching, and writing. As for the tests, again it depended upon the class/instructor. Some were tough, some were easy. Like any other school. I think they are really moving towards online tests now. I only had three classes, I think, with online tests. It was just like a regular test only there was a very tight time limit (so you had to know the material and could not really use any notes, etc). Most of my tests were paper tests that Liberty mailed to the local community college. A lady there I know was my proctor. Some of the written tests required alot of writing (etc). However that is normal for any graduate program (should be anyway).

==I don't see why not. What I would do is just get your previous pastor to fill out the form (etc) since he knows you and everything. If Liberty asks questions, and I doubt they will, just say you just moved to the area and don't know your new pastor that well (etc). You still might talk to your new pastor he very well may give you a reference anyway. When I started at Southeastern Seminary I was new in my church. My pastor and I talked and he gave me a reference. When I transfered to Liberty Seminary I think he gave me another reference (but I am not sure). Pastors usually are happy to give references.

==I don't know if that will help your admissions (etc) but it may mean that your previous pastor is the perfect choice for a reference. Maybe he can contact someone on your behalf? You never know. You certainly should talk to him about this.