1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Can lost files be restored?

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by Barnabas H., Oct 23, 2007.

1. Barnabas H.

Barnabas H. <b>Oldtimer</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    You computer geniuses, here is one for you. I just purchased a 2-GB USB flash drive and saved a considerable amount of files onto it. I checked and they were OK. Then the computer asked me to give password for the secure sight of the flash drive (it is a Kingston 2 GB DataTaveler Secure) and after completing the task I checked one more time the records just copied over and they were gone. But so was my data from My Document files. I looked everywhere, incl using the Recycle Bin but nothing. Where did the file go? It was about 1.47 GB in size. Vanished in thin air. It contained 4-years of my work. Can anyone help? :praying:

2. standingfirminChrist

Brother Barnabas,

You may want to search on the internet for a program called Undelete. See if that helped.

Unfortunately, when files that size are deleted, they do not go to the recycle bin because the bin does not have code to hold that much info. But if they were deleted, there is a chance they can be retreived.

A few years back, I used Recovery98 and it retreived files I thought were lost forever. But they were not. I am not sure if it works with Xp or Vista, but it did work with previous versions.

BTW, I hope you and Lenke are well.

3. Barnabas H.

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for the info. I tried to look for Undelete and they no longer make it. All other option was to bring the CPU (hard drive) to a place where the technicians can recover the lost files. I think I will have to do that. But it will be a long night for me....... :type:

4. standingfirminChrist

Brother Barnabas,

here is a site where one can get Data Recovery program called File Scavenger. Maybe it can do the task at hand without paying a tech more than 100 dollars for such.
    http://quetek.com/prod02.htm

5. standingfirminChrist

6. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Couple of things I would try.

I'd read the instruction information on the usb drive and be sure that the security section doesn't hide your files rather than having deleted the files. It might also move your file. You could click start/search and search for the file name on your hard drive to see if it is elsewhere.

Also go to start/right click/choose explorer and go to tools/folder options/ and click on the view tab. A little way down there is a section on hidden files. click on the circle in front of show hidden files and folders, then go see if your file is there.

7. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Another point. I'm hearing that usb are not very reliable. They die for no apparent reason so I would be sure to back up to some other resource. I personally have not had any problem, but read on a board where a number of people are having failures.

I have been having problems with 4 gig sd cards. Have gone through two in less than a year on my pocket pc.

I might add that the first indication of trouble was missing files. Then more missing files then nothing.

#7 exscentric, Oct 24, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2007
  8. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

I had a 2 GB USB thumb drive flake out on me.

Bro. Barnabus, I haven't tried it, but I hear good results from a free utility called PC Inspector for file recovery. Get it at

http://www.pcinspector.de/default.htm?Language=1

9. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

When files are deleted in Windows, they aren't really deleted. Windows merely removes the first character of the filename and the space occupied by the file then becomes available for Windows to overwrite it. Make sure you don't copy anything to that drive until you can recover your files.

You should be able to recover by using any decent file recovery utility. There are a lot of them out there, including the ones noted in this thread.

Recently, I used a util called R-Studio to recover an entire drive that had had its partition table wiped out. Let us know how it goes on recovering your files.

10. Barnabas H.

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you Folks for the wealth of information! :thumbs: I will try to implement them with the aid of our older daughter, Elizabeth, as I am not a dot.com kid and most of the times I do not know what I am doing..... perhaps that is why I lost the file. Thanks again. I'll let you know the outcome. :type:

11. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Don't forget that once you recover the files, please make sure to back them up.