1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Can saved people drink alchoholic wine and really be saved?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Dale-c, Jan 2, 2008.

?
  1. No, wine is evil and those who drink show that they have not really been saved.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Wine is evil and those who drink are PROBABLY not saved but it is possible.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Wine is Evil and it reflects a carnal Christian but does not effect salvation

9.8%
  4. Wine is good for medicinal purposes but not for anything else, but has nothing to do with salvation

13.1%
  5. Wine is a blessing from God that should be used moderately.

47.5%
  6. We have Christian liberty and can get drunk or whatever we want.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. I don't like any of the options so I will post my own on the thread.

29.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

I said that one drink risks the chance that ones morals could be lowered enough to commit terrible sins. I do not believe that a saved person can commit that sin. And again I ask why risk it?
    Salvation is sealed for all of eternity. However if a son has sinned he is subject to chastisement. That is for all of us that trust Christ for salvation. God's chastisement of His disobedient child is not something that I want to risk. I will not risk it by taking even just a sip of alcohol.
    Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit is not a sin that a true born again believer could ever commit.
    Again I ask why risk it?

2. reformedbeliever

reformedbeliever New Member

Are the mod's trigger fingers really this slow on polls?

3. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

But if a saved person can't commit blasphemy, what's the risk?

4. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

May I join you in this celebration? Grace is indeed great. That is why I will not risk a drink. Not even a sip. It is not that I am afraid of a slip up and slide right into hell. I am secure in the salvation of my Lord and Savior. But I will not drink wine even if it is available for me without fear of hell. It is however not expedient for me.
    9Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,
    10Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.
    11And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.
    12All things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any.
    This is a very wise verse and I think that it will sum up the point I've been trying to make.

5. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

If one asks why risk it, then the person must believe there is a possibility that a saved person is risking something.

I can agree with the point that there is a risk of sin by drinking too much. However, the subject of the op is "Can a person drink and be saved?" So maybe a better way to ask the question is, what is the saved person risking in your senario?

A Christian that has been guided by the Holy Spirit to abstain from alcohol is a miracle from God. It takes faith, and relying on a power other than ours.

The vast majority of the posts in this thread advocating abstaining from alcohol are people who have learned or memorized a rule, and on their own power, abstain. There is no merit to that.

I also want to make it quite clear that if the Holy Spirit has guided other Christians to come to a different conclusion than me about alcohol, it is still a miracle of God and should be honored.

The sin is depending on our will and power.

6. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

The fact there are so many threads on drinking tells me that many may say it is ok to drink but still want the approval of all the others to do so.

Would you be ashame if your pastor walked up when you were drinking?

Would you have to wait until you sobered up to know the Lord had come back?

Are you able to go to church or to the death bed of a love one, or would you have to wait until the smell of acohol left you?

Are you not really sure it is ok to drink acohol?

Just wondering..........;)

BBob,

7. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

Are you telling me that there is no risk for sin in the life of a believer?
    I will not take that risk.

8. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

Thank you Brother Bob.

9. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Bob, that is an excellent post from the heart.

People, listen up. If you cannot see the difference between this post (which shows a Holy conviction) and the ones that are memorizing rules and using their own will to impress others, then you got problems.

10. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I care about the proper interpretation of scripture regarding alcohol. There have been many issues where I have been at odds with a significant majority of the BB in the past and have not had any problems with that becuase I don't seek the approval of men.

Not at all. Most of the pastors that I sat under drank more than I did.

I've never been drunk so no.

I'm not sure if I've ever smelled of alcohol but I have drunk alcohol in church, particularly when the communion cup was wine.

Scripture is pretty clear that is it ok to drink alcohol. Some choose to interpet to those verses differently from their literal and most obvious interpretation and that is their prerogative.

11. Beth

Beth New Member

Not a sin

My husband and I do not believe an occasional drink of wine is a sin.

12. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    While I agree with the sentiment, the reality of the situation is that many of the threads are started by those who prohibitionists, not the temperance advocates.

It wouldn’t be a problem. I would offer him the hospitality of a drink.

In the first place, I would be sober not intoxicated. Second, I’m sure the Lord will make His presence known when He comes in glory.

First, if you don’t drink to excess, there is no odor. Second, there is no shame in moderate consumption of alcohol.

I’m sure it is fine for most believers. If you are weak in the flesh in this area (alcoholic tendencies or the desire to be intoxicated) or you are weak in faith you should abstain.[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

13. standingfirminChrist

One drink leaves the odor of alcohol on one's breath... unless that one tries to cover it up with some means such as breath mints.

Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging; whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise.

If you think there is no shame is drinking alcoholic beverages, you are already deceived by that foul drink.

14. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

I didn't say, or imply, any such thing. You said that drinking just one drink brings the risk of committing blasphemy, and yet you don't believe that a believer can commit blasphemy. Do you see that the logic doesn't follow?

Because a believer cannot commit blasphemy, this "risk of blasphemy" argument is null and void. You may have other arguments to use for your condemnation of alcohol, but this isn't one of them.

15. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

You are correct. There is no substance to that line of thinking.

16. KJVkid

KJVkid New Member

Can saved people drink alchoholic wine and really be saved?

Our Salvation isn't determined by whether we drink alcohol or not it is determined by our faith and trust in Christ. However when we disobey the cleay teaching of Scripture we will pay a price. Noah did and David did but somehow we think we can "get away with it". When we stand before the Lord Jesus at the judgement seat our faithful life will be rewarded with crowns. These crowns will be for us to lay at our Savours feet. Our wood, hay and stubble will yield us nothing. I wonder how Spiritual a person is that will still indulge in a questionable activity when there might be a chance that what they are doing isn't pleasing to the Lord? IF the Bible would be silent on the consumption of alcohol don't you people think about your testamony to the lost? I mean even the lost world frowns on a "Christian" drinking alcohol. As for me when I get to Heaven I want to be able to give something to my blessed Lord.

17. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Maybe one should give Him is a life that is lead by the Holy Spirit and not obeying a set of rules you memorized.

18. KJVkid

KJVkid New Member

I try and I try to memorize more of the "rules" every day. Thank you

19. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, wine leaves the odor of wine on one's breath. Tacos leave the odor of tacos on one's breath. Welch's grape juice leaves the odor of grape juice on one's breath... SO WHAT?!

A way to fix that is to brush your teeth.

Now I made the assumption that Brother Bob knows something about alcohol... and I assumed he was referring to the alcohol odor one may have when they have been consuming too much alcohol, when the odor of alcohol metabolizes through the skin. That's what I was referring to.

That assumes that one has been deceived. Since my bible has more content than just Proverbs 20:1, I understand that there is a way not to be deceived --> Don't get drunk. And that's my stand.

Nope. I have the example of Jesus as my guide. Any "rule" that would presume to condemn the behavior of Jesus is automatically invalid. Plus, if you read the rest of what the bible has to say about alcohol beyond your pet verses in Proverbs, you will know how to interpret Proverbs. The Bible does not contradict itself in this matter and you can't seize on your interpretation of simply one or two verses and ignore the rest of verses that don't match your theology.

20. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where did you get this idea?

The lost world frowns on hypocrites (those that say alcohol is wrong but drink it anyway) and drunkenness (something that we are clearly not supposed to do), but I've never heard a lost person complain about Christians who drink alcohol in moderation when their walk matches their talk.

Now many Christians and religionists get angry at Christians who drink alcohol in moderation, but there are always going to be people who get upset. Christians should not be bound up in legalistic rules based upon the traditions of men. Have you ever noticed that Jesus Himself intentionally did things (especially things like healing on the Sabbath) to upset the religious establishment of His day? They had manmade rules that undermined and shortchanged the people from the transformed kind of life God wants to give us.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.