1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Can someone give me a basic run-down on Harold Camping?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by annsni, Oct 4, 2009.

1. PilgrimPastor

PilgrimPastor Member
    Site Supporter

That's interesting. The fellow in the church who listens to him is also a HUGE fan of older Christian classic music; that may well be what attracts him to the station. Every few weeks he will give me an update on the latest nonsense coming out of Camping's ministry...

2. Eric B

Eric B Active Member
    Site Supporter

I just saw a tract from Family Radio that said the end was May 21st 2011. I know someone earlier mentioned something about that date, but didn't quite realize he had actually set another specific date.
    Somebody like AOMIN or CRI needs to nip this in the bud, and challenge him that if it doesn't come true this time, then he needs to confess being a false prophet and repent. No more weaseling out of it by reinterpreting the significance of the date, or setting a new date. If his dates keep failing like all the others, then he should finally admit that he crossed the bounds by setting dates.
    (How old is he? Maybe it's some sort of senility or something?)

3. eightball

eightball New Member

Actually, CRI had been keeping a tight watch on Camping. If you type in his name on any major search engine, a CRI article will pop up. Within that article it mentions extensively about Camping, his past prediction of the world's end, and even his current mindset or teachings.
    What is so sad is that this current secular craze about the 2012 Mayan calendar, Da Vinci codes, Nostradamus predictions.......and then you have the president of one of the biggest Christian radio networks in the country also joining in with world ending prediction.

I really don't think that the Lord will allow this apostasy by Camping to continue much longer. If the man is a true Christian, though very misguided, the scriptures say that God often takes them away, as their testimony is a blight to Christ's church, and the honor and adoration that He deserves. I'm speaking of believers who refuse the obvious, and continue in sin......

I'm not a position to say whether Camping is a born again believer or not........I think that one of the bugaboos of pastor/teachers is that they also need a "mentor" to help them stay correctly on-path with God's calling, and will, for their lives. Camping, I don't believe is one who accepts any mentoring, but solely does the, "Thus sayeth the Lord" statements from his personal scripture study. It is so easy to get off-beam when one lives like an "island" and is a believer. There also is such an immense responsibility according to scripture for those who proclaim or teach the Word.

I have never heard Camping mention that he discussed or learned from another pastor, lay person, etc.. when coming to his conclusions. It's just Camping alone.

Camping is not "teachable". With that, he will spiral downward, and become less and less a viable aspect or vessel of the Christian body. In fact he is now in the ranks of the Kenneth Copelands, Benny Hinns......etc... In other words, scriptural living Christians who mix, meet, worship, bible study, and learn from interaction with the Body are healthy, and most likely stay in God's will, unless they live fleshly, men pleasing existences.

Again, Camping has set things up where he answers to no man/woman. He has created his own dilemma, and also ruined any bit of testimony he might have had in his earlier years of ministry. He's separated himself from the "body" willfully, and he's encouraging Christians to do likewise.

4. Eric B

Eric B Active Member
    Site Supporter

Yeah; and I see people saying Christians still listen to him because of the classic music. Those wouldn't be the same chastizing CCM and "new evangelicalism" for its "compromises" would it? As I had said, I know that camp used to listen to Family radio, and that was before the current spate of teaching, but still after 1994, and bad enough.

What's funny, is that I read where the Mayans didnt even really say the world would actually end that date; it just meant the calendar would end. And now, people have latched onto it, and now, as you said, we have a Christian leader whose date almost coincides with it.

5. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Harold Camping is 88 years old. I used to listen to Family Radio quite a bit back during the first half of the 1990s via shortwave radio. I haven't been a listener of it since then. No particular reason I quit listening. I got married and got busy with other things.

6. rbell

rbell Active Member

You know, if Camping would just move the date to December 2012, he could get some free publicity from that apocolyptic movie, "2012."

Kill two (goofy) birds with one (goofy) stone...

7. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

:laugh::laugh:

This is funny but also sad, because I think some Christians are jumping on the New Age 2012 bandwagon.

8. Eric B

Eric B Active Member
    Site Supporter

Maybe he will when/if his date does not come true:smilewinkgrin:

9. eightball

eightball New Member

What your saying is not far-fetched either.

A very level-headed solid christian couple in our old church got into bible numerology. I never could understand how numerology could work when we didn't have the original manuscripts in their original language/Greek/Hebrew..etc...?

I think that all of these strange paths that Christians get hooked into are all explained clearly in the N.T. Epistles and Matthew, Mark, Luke and John, and Revelations.

I don't believe that people who are Christians that get hung up in this will lose their salvation, but they certainly will mess up/dilute/weaken their testimony to this fallen world.

10. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I agree with you.