1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Can someone WANT to be saved but not be?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Skandelon, May 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Herald

Herald New Member

Their nature was already fallen (Psalm 51:5; Eph. 2:1-3; Col. 1:21). Rom. 1 is an interesting passage of scripture. It explores the insidious nature of sin and the depths of reprobation. The account of the fool in Romans 1 isn't so much a timeline (exchanged the truth for a lie ---> given over to reprobation) as it is one of depth and progression. The sinner (which is everyone) is born as such and has a natural disposition towards sin. The more the sinner sins, and the more he hardens his heart, there is potential for reaching greater depths of sin. Some people peg the needle on the depravity meter and become Stalin's, Hitler's and Bin Laden's. Others never progress as far but are still enemies of God. The fool of Romans 1 is a composite. It's not one sinner who does all the things recorded in that chapter; rather it's broad brushed picture of where sin can lead.

Sorry for waxing long. It's 2:15 AM and allergies are keeping me up.

2. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    He [esau]:thumbsup::thumbsup:did not want to repent...he wanted his father to repent and give him the blessing.....

3. HeirofSalvation

HeirofSalvation Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I do not think we have sufficient reasons to suggest that Esau was ultimately unsaved...If I were to posit a guess....I would actually believe that he was. He surrendered a life of blessedness in service to God, for instant gratification of earthly desires....He made foolish decisions to surrender the less tangible blessings of taking what would quite reasonably be expected to be his...His birthright. He had little appreciation for what his birthright was worth. Some years later....some wisdom gained...he had more appreciation (even if he never FULLY appreciated it) for what he gave up and sought it...but it wasn't Salvation he gave up. Real decisions have Real consequences.

4. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes!

As the natural inclination of man, due to being sinners, is to refuse God and his offer of salvation in Christ!

man wants a salvation that comes about due to his own work/efforts. so rejects free offer in christ!

5. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, as the Lord will save ALL who come unto Him to get saved, and ONLY those whom He enables/quickens/draws to Himself will even want to get saved!

6. HeirofSalvation

Site Supporter

Double Post Edit

7. HeirofSalvation

Site Supporter

8. HeirofSalvation

Site Supporter

Unless, perhaps, if one briefly considers those of a works-based faith who ostensibly torture themselves their whole lives seeking with desperation salvation........Sure :rolleyes:

9. HeirofSalvation

Site Supporter

NVM.........DP I need more savvy

#29 HeirofSalvation, May 16, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2012
  10. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    that would be those who try to save themselves apart from jesus!

11. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I appreciate reading this very nice job of articulating this important concern along with the added identification of the stereotypical roots of a serious problem facing Christianity! Well said.

12. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I ran across an article in the Founders Journal by Jay Keywood, titled "Jonathan Edwards Religious Affections and True Religion in the Local Church."

Here's the link:http://www.founders.org/journal/fj85/article2.html

Edwards' treatise speaks to the subject under discussion here. And it raised some points that ought to make us re-examine all that we say and do in calling men and women to repentance and faith in the Lord Jesus. It may also cause us to re-examine our own relationship to God, and our hope of heaven.

Here's just one paragraph from Keywood's article:
    Edwards goes on to say what he believes are true religious affections, and the criteria for recognizing them in others.

Oh, and wanting to be saved is not one of them.

13. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

"My doctrine"? :/

Absolutely it matters. The lack of desire, is what produces the lack of ability. They do not want to repent and believe, therefore they do not.

Sure they can. They can be unable because they are unwilling.

14. Winman

Winman Active Member

That must be one of the worst sermons I have ever heard. The only effect preaching like this can accomplish is to make people doubt their salvation. I can imagine every single person in his audience coming away full of fear and doubt, and forever seeking some "unknown" faith they cannot hope to understand.

The scriptures are simple and straightforward. Jesus said whosoever comes to him, he will in no wise cast out. He didn't say our repentance must be perfect, our feelings perfect, our intentions perfect, etc... Jesus said if we come to him in our heart desiring that he save us, HE WILL SAVE US, and under no circumstances whatsoever shall he ever cast us out.

Jesus encouraged faith, he gave complete assurance. Fellows like Edwards spread doubt and fear to everyone who heard him. This is the technique the Roman Catholic church used for centuries to control people, FEAR.

15. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Desire has no bearing on ability. That is "your doctrine" talking.

16. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

The Occupy crowd doesn't want to get off their butts and get a job, but that doesn't mean they are unable to do so. If they were unable to willingly seek employment (like if they were mentally disabled) then they would have a good excuse for not getting a job. That is what your doctrine does...it gives men an excuse for not repenting and believing.

17. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Of course it does. A person cannot do what he does not desire to do. That is not "my doctrine" that is just plain logic and reason.

18. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Not at all. YOUR doctrine however, gives men who believe in Christ reason for boasting.

The men of the occupy movement (those who are actually part of your caricatured group, anyway...), do not seek employment because they are wicked. Because they are wicked, they do not desire to work. But that does not excuse there wickedness.

19. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

In truth, HD, even your side of the theological aisle has room for this so called "boasting",...... "Look at me.....I was chosen" Boasting, or the attitude of such is not relegated to one side OR the other, but can sadly be a characteristic of both.

20. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

Yeah, I'm always going around bragging to everyone about the time I found myself in the pig sty of my life, broken, and dejected without hope and helpless crying out for help. I love boasting about my weaknesses and humiliation, it is so much fun.

Plus, I'm only doing what the Lord told me to do when he said to Jeremiah, "let him who boasts boast about this: that he understands and knows me, that I am the LORD, who exercises kindness, justice and righteousness on earth, for in these I delight," declares the LORD.

So, God delights in us boasting Arminians. ;)

If they were born with a mental disorder that made it impossible for them to willingly work (i.e. retarded etc) then sure they would have an excuse. They were born that way, and our society would certainly excuse them. That is your doctrine...you have most of humanity born rejected and unloved by their maker and not granted what they need to willingly follow Him. What better excuse is their than that?

In our doctrine, the unbelievers are much worse than in yours. They rebel despite God's loving and gracious provisions. They spit in his face even after he calls them and appeals for them to be reconciled. He gives them all they need yet they still choose to reject him. Their condemnation is well deserved. Your doctrine has much too high of a view of man.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.