1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Canadian Seminaries

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by PreachTREE, Jun 3, 2006.

1. PreachTREE

PreachTREE New Member

My Bible college promotes Central both in MN and VA, Calvary in Lansdale, and Detroit Baptist. I was wondering, how does Toronto Baptist seminary compare to these? Any other Canadian suggestions?

2. PatsFan

PatsFan New Member

I've heard good things about these 3 Canadian seminaries:

Canadian Southern Baptist Seminary
    http://www.csbs.edu/

Canadian Theological Seminary
    http://www.auc-nuc.ca/

Providence Theological Seminary
    http://prov.ca/

3. Annoyance

Annoyance New Member

My father mentioned that Toronto Baptist Seminary was at one time known for its education and viewpoints - but as more "modern" trendier schools came into being - it kind of got forgotten.

4. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Csbs

To all who have an ear:

I can vouchsafe for the Canadian Southern Baptist Seminary. We had its president, Dr. Richard Blackabee (sp?), a few years ago at the little college where I teach. We had him for "Religious Emphasis Week" (revival). He did a great job and really related well to the young people.

I got to ferry him around some and became what I consider to be a friend. He is a great guy and good speaker. He really has a heart for education and young people. Many is the time when a college or seminary president cannot really "preach." That is definitively NOT THE CASE with Richard. You might have heard of his dad--Henry Blackabee of Knowing God fame?!

Richard has since resigned from the CSBS. He and his dad have gone into a full-time preaching, teaching, conference, & writing ministry.

One thing that may turn-off some of those on the BB about the CSBS is this: it is decidedly Southern Baptist. If this is not what you want then you need to look elsewhere. This statement is meant in kindness not arrogance. The education would be 1st class and one would be equipped either for ministry or for further graduate education.

Forwhatitisworth!

sdg!

rd

5. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The most prominent evangelical seminaries in Canada I am aware of are:

Regent College in Vancouver, British Columbia
    Canadian Theological Seminary in Regina, Saskatchewan
    Tyndale University College and Seminary in Toronto, Ontario

I'm sure there are others but I believe these are the three largest evangelical seminaries in Canada.

I have taken courses with Tyndale and my pastors were all trained there.

6. PreachTREE

PreachTREE New Member

Thanks for all the replies guys.

Can you expound on this? What about their "education and viewpoints"? Thanks!

7. Sularis

Sularis Member

SOrry about posting under the name annoyance but i couldnt log on for a week and i still havent gotten a response - but since I can log in now - i must assume the problem has been fixed - and as such annoyance will be deleted and vanish in the wind

Toronto Baptist Seminary - my dad didnt tell me that much - they are a more conservative bunch - unlike Tyndale (crap) - they never got around to expanding - they just focussed on their core goals. Probably is what kept them around.

I back up my Tyndale belief in that they were fiscally irresponsible - went into receivership - changed their name to avoid the stigma - and the quality of graduates that I've run into I can give the "smackdown" to when it comes to theology - and since that's me giving the smackdown that's pretty sad ;) However I do rate Tyndale above Briercrest which is the lowest of "real" Bible colleges. Also Tyndale doesnt appear to offer a Bachelor of Theology - The former biggest and best Bible College in the country not offering a Bachelor of Theology is just wrong.