1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Cascade Hills Baptist Church, Columbus, GA

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Hardsheller, Dec 30, 2004.

1. Hardsheller

Hardsheller Active Member
    Site Supporter

2. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

I know we have members who live right outside Columbus but I think they attend a very tiny independent church.

3. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

You mean you were away from your church during Christmastime? I didn't know we could do that! [​IMG]

4. Hardsheller

Site Supporter

You should try it. It's wonderful. BUT - Make sure you get your Christmas Present from the Church before you leave! :D

5. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Our pastor's son in law preached for us this past Sunday. He's a young pastor from a small church in Mississippi. Forgot the town name.

6. izzaksdad

izzaksdad New Member

Conservative, Bible-believing church. Cascade Hills majors on the Word, soulwinning, Sunday School, and ministry. Very serious about reaching their community for Christ. Dr. Purvis has been at Cascade Hills since the late 80's AI believe. Since that time the church has grown from about 86 in attendance to several thousand today. He is viewed by many in SBC circles as a leadership/administrative/visionary genius.

Hope that helps.

7. rjprince

rjprince Active Member

My best friend Pastor's a small IFB church in Columbus. I have family that goes to Cascade Hills. Large church, Christian School, Conservative. BUT, very market driven. IFBs in the area refer to CHBC as "Six Flags Over Jesus"! Style of ministry would lean toward Rick Warren/Bill Hybels. Theology is solid though. Just depends on what you are comfortable with.

8. Plain ol' Ralph

Plain ol' Ralph New Member

Typical Corinthian church, just a weebit too carnal.

9. Plain ol' Ralph

Has to be an easy-believism church, such is the norm for the "tremendous growth" syndrome, ecumenical at heart, Baptist at a stretch of the imagination, good place to be deceived and die and go to hell in; never actually hearing the Truth according to the Gospel, only "quick, read this" theology.

10. Hardsheller

Site Supporter

"Six Flags Over Jesus" That's funny!

11. Hardsheller

Site Supporter

Actually Ralph I was there recently and heard a very Christ Centered Sermon.

12. Plain ol' Ralph

Actually,Hardsheller, I find it a total disgrace to His Holiness the things people are doing in His Name this day and time, promoting idolatry (giving the ceremonial "nod" to those BIG "works", which are no more than promoting worldliness and applauding nakedness, you did know that revealing anything above the knee is nakedness, didn't you?). All I see this "church" doing is sucking in the crowds, giving them a watered down and simplistic "gospel", and NEVER really preaching true repentence, only comprimising the Truth in the effort to "bring in the dollars" needed to keep up the paychecks.

As critical as it may seem, the Truth, is still the TRUTH.

13. Plain ol' Ralph

No it's not. It's disgraceful!

14. Hardsheller

Site Supporter

Ralph, Get a life!

Your redneck is showing again.

15. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Have you been there?

On what are you basing these charges against people who profess faith in Christ?

16. chandler

chandler New Member

This is the most absurd thing I have ever heard in my life! You label this church this because it is growing. So I guess the church in Acts was this type of church also. You can't label all churches that way just because they are growing. Sure some are seeking numbers; I tend to believe that there are some churches who are preaching the entire Word of God(including the cross and repentance but not limited too) who are reaching out and are evangelistic that God is increasing. What about Bellevue Baptist Church in Memphis, presently 25,000 members? By the way Dr. Rogers still uses the KJV! It seems to me that if you fundametalist opened your mind and started studying in God's Word what you can do instead of what you can't you might acquire wisdom; hence I found none in your statement.

17. Taxman

Taxman New Member

Dr.Purvis was my client for several years. (I'm a tax attorney). He takes no salary from the church. He's a very strong leader that will not play politics in his denonimation nor compromise the gospel. His spirit is humble and his family lives an authentic faith. I was born into Judiasm before he led me to Christ. He has his critics like Paul said we would, Jesus did. The owner of the cities largest night club publicky stated that his business had to shut down because the church converted all of their customers! The church is filled with converted CEO's,science professors who once taught evolution, former mormons, JW's,Buddist, and Muslims. I for one can vouch for this church. It's a New Testament model through and through.

18. Trapper

Trapper New Member

I'm from Columbus and this is what I know.
    First, it's not Cascade Hills Baptist Church. They dropped the Baptist name some years ago. They are a purpose driven church. I have also noticed that they are listed in the Georgia Baptist newspaper (The Christian Index) as not contributing to the Cooperative Program. Surely they give somewhere to something but apparently not like most SBCers. The church is thriving. And yes they are still a SBC church?
    Sincerely Trapper

19. Hardsheller

Site Supporter

Trapper,

This is still on their web site's front page....

NOT YOUR AVERAGE CHURCH
    Cascade Hills Church is an innovative,
    contemporary Southern Baptist church

Apparently they still think they are Southern Baptist!

20. Taxman

Taxman New Member

Who'd WANT to be your "Average" church? Our company still does some of the churches financials here from Atlanta so I know for a fact that they gave over one million last year to various mission causes,pay the cancer treatments for many of their members, provide several homes at no cost to the needy, and invest heavily in a ministry to the mentally handicapped. The name "Baptist" remains on their huge sign facing the highway and another sign at their entrance. They just do minstry without care of what people or the denomination thinks. I think it's why God has blessed them so much!